• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does your Eris have a lag problem?

• No lag at all

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • A little

Votes: 114 46.3%
  • A moderate ammount

Votes: 71 28.9%
  • Quite a bit

Votes: 28 11.4%
  • My phone is almost unusable

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
I voted a little lag. I have about 20 or so apps installed. I dont really use any of them too often, unless im bored at work. The phone can be a little laggy at times during normal usage (phone calls and texting), but every now and then it will get unbearable. Sometimes i can open advanced task manager and it seems like almost all of my apps are running in the background even though i havent used half of them. Can usually do a restart or kill everything with advanced task manager and its back to normal again. Im not complaining, just being specific. I love my phone :)

its because when u restart (turn your phone off then on), everything loads. so you have to actually...go in advance task manager when the phone starts up, kill everything (that u r not using)including advance task manager, then it blazes! :D

Upvote 0
its because when u restart (turn your phone off then on), everything loads. so you have to actually...go in advance task manager when the phone starts up, kill everything (that u r not using)including advance task manager, then it blazes! :D

Actually my phone will do it randomly in the middle of the day. The phone will have been sleeping for a while, I will pick it up to do something, and it doesnt want to. Start up task manager and there is a bunch of crap running. Its not a big deal and it doesnt do it too often so im not really too concerned with it. Besides, thats what the task manager is for :)

Upvote 0
I really do love this phone but I have to admit that I do have some issues with the lag. Other people have touched on this already but ending a call with the on screen button is completely unreliable. I am a full supporter of this phone regardless of the small issues (no damn youtube is still killing me) and I'm in a position to sway people towards this phone since I work in a mobile phone store. Hopefully future updates will help to get rid of some of the lag. Come on OTA!

Upvote 0
ATM all the way baby! :)
ever since i put that on, set it up so that it kills all apps every half hour (except the ones i explicitly exclude) i have had 95% smooth operator status!:cool:

i havent cleared my cache since the last rom actually...
i honestly believe coming from winmo has taught me better mobile management.

its simple, you only need to open what u r using at that time!
if u want to multi-task (like i do) i would SUGGEST ATM (advanced task manager). clearing cache can only help....though i only use the dolphin browser an i changed the settings to save my cache to the SD. with winmo, if you had 15megs of ram...that was pretty good (on an uncooked rom anyway). i maintain 60-70megs free at all times so...im always coasting! :cool:

Where does it tell you your available memory? Is it listed in Spare Parts?

Upvote 0
My experience is much of what I see above. I don't stress over battery because I charge during my commute but I do run ATK when the phone starts bogging down. I don't remember it doing that when I first got the phone so it is most likely some of the many apps that I have installed. Regardless, I'd rather have the apps and use ATK than to get rid of them.

I was going to try a week without ATK but the lag was so unbearable that I broke down and installed after 2 days. I'm not OCD about it...usually will kill tasks when I wake up in the am or anytime I haven't used my phone in a long time.

Upvote 0
I would have said that I only had occasional lag until today. I picked up my phone a little while ago and it was completely whacked :thinking:

The lock screen would barely pull down, and I could not move from home screen to home screen. My Eris would completely lock up.... stuck between my commands... REALLY HORRIBLE. I have had this phone for a few weeks and up until today, only experienced minor, occasional lag. After everything I've read here (all very helpful) I uninstalled ATK a week or so ago. However, I felt it might be useful to have some way to stop programs in case of a problem, so I installed Advanced Task Manager. I'm not sure, but I think I may have better performance with ATK, but that's another subject.

Back to today - Of course right away I tried to think what I installed that could have caused this problem. Yesterday I downloaded Astro File Manager, but I have not installed it yet. Earllier in the week I purcahsed and installed Beautiful Widgets and started using Smaller Home... it worked fine and I saw no change in my phone performance and little effect on the battery life. (My battery was typically lasting all day with juice to spare). I used Google Talk for the first time yesterday... not sure if that could be a problem.... (anyone?)

So unsure of what to do, I uninstalled Beautiful Widgets and restarted my phone and everything seems ok now. Whatever was wrong today drained my battery about twice as fast as normal. Yesterday at this time I was probably at 60-70%... but today with about the same usage I'm at 35%. During the "crisis" I tried to look in spare parts to see what was going on, but I could not really open anything. Earlier this week I also changed the transition and window animations speed to fast. Does anyone know if that could cause a problem?

Sorry so long! But I love my new Eris and I was a little freaked out by its freaking out!:eek:

Upvote 0
My Eris freaks out like this once in a while.

If the phone is 'thinking' (using the processor or writing/reading from memory heavily) and you touch the screen, and it doesn't respond right away, DON'T TOUCH IT A SECOND TIME!

Somehow, for me, the second touch does the phone in. Suddenly, the screen is CONSTANTLY registering a touch in the middle of the screen, as if I'm push/holding on one point. I can verify this with Swype, where it trails my finger. I touch all over the screen. Sometimes no response. Sometimes random scribbling in the middle of the keypad, nowhere near where I touched.

I can take out the battery for 5 minutes, put it back, and restart, and sometimes it's OK. Today I restarted 10-15 times, and while I was OIN THE WAY to the Verizon store, I rebooted again, and it worked just fine. If I were headed anywhere else, it would have kept messing up.

Sometimes just letting the phone sit there fixes it. It seems to take time. I don't think it's software. I managed to navigate to 'Reset factory calibration', which deals with how the hardware and software communicate. But I think it's a hardware issue. Something shorts. Somehow. I am on my third Eris because of exactly this. I accept it as a flaw, and try to deal.

This happens to me sometimes daily, sometimes weekly. It's very VERY annoying. I wouldn't swear to it, but it seems like every time it happens, it's on the charger.

Upvote 0
Yeah of your phone is lagging its almost like it caches touches and you get a barrage of feedback when i catches up.

Wow, I had to read that three or four times before it made sense. :)
I knew it HAD to make sense because it's Caddy, and he's always grammatically correct. Caches/touches/catches - my poor little brain nearly - lagged...

Upvote 0
I said a little, and it truly is a little. I am highly OCD so I clean cache and stuff up every other night, if not every night before I go to bed.

The only time I notice the lag is if the battery is getting way low, and even that is minimal.

I said a little as well. Coming from WinMo, I too am OCD on the cache. Although it does lag sometimes with placing calls..

Upvote 0
Lots of Lag

Sometimes it slowly returns to semi normal on its own, most of the time not.

Just performed a factory reset after first few weeks of messing with to many worthless, pointless and or redundant apps. Down to just the few I use and that its. And of course the phone still lags especially if I use sense

I have found that Sense uses anywhere from 15 MB to 30MB and the phone runs better with it off, though not by much. Sometimes though, it is actually worse with sense off ( scrolling between screens for instance, cant figure ouut why though). go figure

With that said, it is pointless not to use it, as some apps like "mail" restart it automatically. if You start sense and kill all the worthless crap that starts with it - Footprints, Messaging, Google partner etc... your memory should hover in the 90s range. But, drops as soon as you open a program. Internet browser is biggest pig I found, after sense itself.

I use Quick System Info as the task Manager / killer just open the process tab after you check your memory on first tab then kill everything you don't use.

I kill everything thru this program at least once a day, and everything is now smooth sailing.

Upvote 0
I have quite a bit of lag, at least twice a day. It gets to the point to where I have to perform a battery pull because the phone isn't budging. Have been running Home and Sense to see if I could find much difference, but no such luck :( I usually have around 85-90 M free concerning apps running, and I clear the cache about 2x a week. I have 20 apps installed, but they're all rather small and I tend to have at most 7 apps open at any given time.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones