• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Got Your Power Button Wet?

I hope this helps someone. If not have fun reading.

I don't know that this will work for everyone.

I dunked my phone power button end down in enough water to cause issues with the power button. I don't know what the real issue was the button past it didn't work, such as if the contacts rusted or just grime the water may have left behind when evaporating or if the water carried in some dust and or grime.

Regardless the power button quit working.

I can't believe this actually fixed the button but so far it's working.

I took the phone apart to get to the power button. And since I had WD40 available that's what I used.

I got a Q-tip, sprayed an end with WD40, and placed the soaked end on the button to get the oil to seep into micro-switch. I did this a few times, I'd wait for a while, 20 mins--maybe, or so to let the oil, dry and then I dropped more in there.

I had to let the phone sit a few hours and then the button started working.

The only issue I then had was the button you see on the outside didn't seem to press the actual button down far enough anymore. Of course I figured this out after putting the phone back together.

So I took it apart again, and found the actual button worked just fine.

To rectify the situation I folded some double side tape over on itself a few times and placed it between the two buttons. So far the thing works great.

It's not that I can't go buy a new phone, but I figure once it's broken it's fun and only costs a few $ to see if I can fix it. So far it's been fun and the phone works better than it has in a long time.

I figure if your power button doesn't work after trying this, and you can't find a suitable switch for a replacement, you can transplant the switch that makes the volume go up for the power button.

My guess for the volume up is you can always turn it up with the UI, and you're more likely to have times when you wish to turn the volume down real fast than up real fast. If you're good at micro soldering then you're set, otherwise you need to find someone who is.

[added]
On second thought, the up volume button is needed to get into the factory reset boot menu.

Back
Top Bottom