• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help gprs not working on my a85

nonbeing

Hi all, I recently got a mmx a85. I'm using the stock rom.

GPRS/3G refuses to work on the device. I'm pretty sure that I have the right APN settings. I use Airtel, so my APN name is "mobile office" and the APN is airtelgprs.com. All other APN settings are "not set" or default values.

These settings worked fine for me on my previous android device (samsung galaxy3 i5801). However these settings don't seem to be working on the A85. I am able to connect to the Airtel network for receiving/making phone calls.

My question is - is GPRS working for any other A85 users (on the stock/original rom)? If so, could you please share what APN settings work for you?

Could it be a hardware problem with the device itself? Will I have to upgrade to a custom ROM (there are a couple of custom Gingerbread roms floating around) to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick reply, applicationz. I actually tried that a few times. When my phone reboots, I see a "E" or "H" (corresponding to EDGE or HSPA) flash quickly in the notification bar, and then it disappears. Then I get a message from Airtel that I was charged Rs 0.00 - which means that indeed I connect for 1-2 secs to EDGE/3G but it immediately disconnects.

I have no idea how to fix this issue.

I just went to the MMX service center in Bangalore for A85 and the guy there told me to bring my phone on Monday morning. He wants to try flashing the stock rom on my phone again to see if that will help. I told him that I can flash a new rom myself, but he wouldn't let me have the rom. He also told me that flashing a new rom (e.g. your new GB rom) will void my warranty, and could brick my phone also.

Is that true? I thought we had the right to flash new roms/firmware on our phones and still have warranty... :(

Hey!
flashing new ROMS is of-course voiding warranty !
but the gr8ness of the process is that u can reflash the original one and claim warranty :p
btw no need for those dumb ppl at mmx , you can ur self flash the stock again :p
but if even that does not help ....
or u need to flash the firmware u need the tools that those ppl use :p

Okay I finally got 3G to work on my phone. In the end, the solution was rather lame, but I'm posting it here in case any other A85 new user faces the same issue as me.

The phone ships with NetQin Android Booster. This app is primarily meant to boost battery life. Among other things, it does this by turning on/off WiFi, 3G, BT etc.

So when I enabled my Data Connection (i.e. EDGE/3G) on the NetQin Android Booster Widget, and then I enabled Data Connection via the Android menu (Settings|Wireless and Networks|MobileNetworks|DataEnabled), my 3G immediately started working.

It seems that the NetQin app has the power to block/disable Data Connection. So if it is not enabled in the NetQin app, 3G remains disabled, as it overrides the setting in the Android system menu.

Hope this helps someone out there :)

Back
Top Bottom