• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS and wakelocks

rjglenn

Android Enthusiast
Is anyone else seeing high wakelock times when their GPS is enabled? If I leave the GPS on I get lots of partial wakelocks and poor battery life. If I keep it disabled then deep sleep is king. I don't need or care if my GPS stays on or not, I'm mostly just curious as to why the wakelocks while the phone is in my pocket and supposed to be asleep.

sns sync ev wakelock is the main offender, which supposedly has something to do with Google play.

Since it affects battery in a negative way I'll just keep GPS off...

is google maps on when you run the gps? location reporting in the google maps settings is a known wakelock troublemaker.

i keep gps off unless i need it, but i also have all location services turned off.

what app are you using to detect wakelocks?

Better battery stats. I rarely use maps or GPS but maps seems to be running any way. Keeping GPS off solves it but I'm just curious about the why.

Might be because the GPS needs to keep polling to update its location in real time. Dont know how other phones handle it though. I know that cameras with GPS will have relatively poor battery life if the GPS is left on. I've noticed that with Maps, the app continues to search for a location even after the GPS gets turned off. (The app won't clear from the slidedown drawer thing.)

This one's not bad:

Wakelock Detector Shows You the Apps that Keep Your Phone Awake

I'll give it a try. From the description it may give me more information about what is happening.

Back
Top Bottom