• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS with Mobile Data Turned Off

Question for you guys:

My Commando 4G LTE is M070 build, rooted the first week of November with Kingo after the M070 update, with SuperSU, AdFree, AutoStarts and Titanium Backup installed. I didn't put this in the All Things Root section because I don't think the rooting is the cause. The ROM is still the stock M070 build, with some things frozen by TB.

I have the OsmAnd+ offline map app installed so that when I am in an area with no mobile data connection, I can use the GPS on the phone to locate my position on the offline maps that I have downloaded to the SD card. Last week I was in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. On past trips I have turned off the Mobile Data ($20.89/mb) and simply turned on the GPS, got a position fix and could follow my location on the map, get directions, etc.

This trip, the GPS would just spin endlessly and not get a position fix on the ship. I had a straight line of sight to the southern sky. I thought maybe it was all the metal surrounding me that caused that, but onshore in all three places it did the same thing. The G'Zone Sun/Moon app did the same thing, no position fix.

When I came home, with the Mobile Data turned off, I tried the same thing and it locked in a fix immediately. I'm aware that it can use A-GPS, but with mobile data turned off, it isn't getting that, is it?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input as to what could be causing this situation.

Thanks
David

I use an app called GPS simple for coordinates and ground speed. The entire time I have had my commando (since its initial release) I have never had any success using GPS off network. GPS simple will display the position of what satellites it "sees", but off network it has never given me my coordinates or speed.

First post.

I am able to use my Garmin GPS mouse and OSMAND~ without mobile data. I don't know if this is an option you'd be interested in but my GPS (BT-20) is pretty cheap on eBay these days.

It connects to the phone via Bluetooth through Bluetooth GPS (in the Play Store or fdroid - I forget where I got it) and you have to have "allow mock locations" enabled in the Developer Options settings.

Back
Top Bottom