• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gReader Replacement (Google Reader is shutting down)

kwalla

Sep 17, 2011
www.solavei.com
So, if you haven't heard, Google Reader is ending in a few months : Google Reader Is Shutting Down; Here Are the Best Alternatives

I started to look around on Play to find a non-Google Reader RSS app to replace gReader (which is just as well as I didn't like the appearance changes from the last update) and found RSS Demon and Feed+, which look like they don't rely on Google Reader.

I'm curious what non-Google RSS related readers people use.

I like the simple sort -- a list of unread with a few lines of text, no need or fancy graphics for anything slick for me.

Reactions: CDPlant
gReader devs are looking actively where to go next, why not wait some more weeks and see where they'll end up?
I'm a distraught google reader (web)/gReader (android) user too. Started looking at all the options last night and was going to sign up for some things to test out.

Think I'll just wait and let the dust settle first and see what happens.

I guess want something simple for the web and android that I can quickly go through messsages like I do with the combination I have now. I don't want to move to a magazine style RSS reader. I use flipboard already, but in an entirely different way.

Upvote 0
I'm really not distraught or upset Google Reader is closing. I was looking for a new RSS app anyway. I really didn't like the redesign that gReader just did, so the whole closing of Google Reader just got me to really start looking.

My problem is that what I want is really very simple and everyone seems to be trending towards creating something that is fancy.

I want an app that will display the RSS/Atom/whatever feeds in a pure list -- by that I meant, not grouped by source or anything, just a single, long list I can scroll and click on the stuff I want to read.

I have zero want of fancy interface or "helpful" sorting or grouping or anything else.

Even with RSS Demon, which I'm using now, I can't do this. I've emailed the Dev to see if I'm just missing something, but it wants to start me on a "source" page that tells me how many new article are by source and I have to go into each source one by one. For me, this is a lot of waste -- go into Source 1, scan, read, mark all read. Go into source 2, scan, read, mark all read, repeat.

I hope the Dev of RSS Demon replies and I can do what I want, or.. I'll wait until the dust settles and look again. Perhaps what Digg.com says they are going to do (RSS 2.0 or something) will tickle my fancy.

Upvote 0
At the moment, I'm looking at feedly... a lot will depend on if they manage to get their own google reader replacement back end working in time., But the interface works fine on web and mobile apps...

I'm currently using Feedly's web interface - haven't tried the mobile app yet, really, since I don't like reading my newsfeeds on my phone screen - I've got it on the tablet, but I'm spending more time at the computer lately for school, so haven't had a chance to use it. So far, though, I'm liking the web interface a lot.

I checked out newsblur briefly - liked the way it looked, but the free version initially only allowed you to access 64 news sources. And then that dropped down to 12. That's ridiculously small in my opinion, so I'll keep looking if Feedly doesn't pan out.

I keep hoping that Newsify gets brought to Android, as that was my favorite mobile RSS reader when I had my iPhone.

Also trying out Pulse - looks nice, but I'll have to see how it works in the long-term.

Upvote 0
... I like the simple sort -- a list of unread with a few lines of text, no need or fancy graphics for anything slick for me.

Since the simple NewsRoom reader didn't exist any more I'm using Feed+ ... and I've replaced the part of Google Reader's feeds with my favorite feeds :)

I'll have a look at the Feedly app because of its ability to sync between phone and tablet (and web browser on PC ? )

Harry

Upvote 0
I'm currently using Feedly's web interface - haven't tried the mobile app yet, really, since I don't like reading my newsfeeds on my phone screen - I've got it on the tablet, but I'm spending more time at the computer lately for school, so haven't had a chance to use it. So far, though, I'm liking the web interface a lot.

If you set it to show titles.. its very similar to how things used to be in reader..

anyway, they seem to have added about half a million users in the last 48 hours and they're busy upping their bandwidth accordingly

Priorities: Keeping the site up, listening and adding new features. | Building Feedly

Upvote 0
Since the simple NewsRoom reader didn't exist any more I'm using Feed+ ... and I've replaced the part of Google Reader's feeds with my favorite feeds :)

I'll have a look at the Feedly app because of its ability to sync between phone and tablet (and web browser on PC ? )

Harry

I figured it out on RSS Demon -- check Display Favorites. That way when I open up RSS Demon, there's an option for all unread -- not quite as nice as simply opening to all unread, but good enough for me.

I looked at newsrob and feedly, but both didn't quite seem to work right. No doubt due, in part, to the number of people looking to switch. I don't do RSS from a browse at all, so RSS Demon is what it's going to be for me.

Upvote 0
RSS Demon works for me. It appears to have imported my list of feeds and is very customizble. I don't think there's a web version, so it's phone only - which is the only place I look at RSS feeds.

Importing from Google Reader was easy.

I am a heavy rss user and was previously using RSSDemon Elite- very fast, very simple and it worked great until google reader services went down, now I can't add any new feeds and overall performance of the app has decreased. Im currently testing out Feedly and gReader. So far they seem okay but im not not really sold on either of them, not a fan of the "magazine" style readers.

From the reviews Press RSS Reader seems to be a good app, from the screenshots it looks clean. Can anyone offer any opinions of it? They don't offer any trial period. I just wary of paying for an app that I didn't like and wouldn't be happy using.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones