• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great grocery list app found!

OurGroceries is a pretty awesome app. We share among two BB's and and Android. We are now considering adding this to our kids' BB's for simple lists like things to bring on a trip.

The almost instant sync between multiple devices and access through the PC is an added plus. I wish this app can include other functionality like general notes.

Upvote 0
I wish you could scan a product and have an option to add it to your list. ie when you ran out.

I use Out of Milk and it has that feature.

You need to buy the pro version to be able to sync with another device, but the free version does have a bar code scanner.

Great app for free (nobody else does any shopping around here) and it has a lot of features you might like too like a to-do list and a pantry list.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.capigami.outofmilk&hl=en

Upvote 0
We've been using Wunderlist for this. Syncs across all platforms we have - IOS, Android, PC, Blackberry. We can even use it on the Nook Color using the web browser link.

Gotta admit I'd love it if Wunderlist allowed me to scan items and thereby log in what I need, and had a by-store, by-aisle organizing feature. But those oversights are just minor inconveniences compared to all the other things it does so well.

Upvote 0
after searching a lot I found cloudlist a long time ago. However it had some problems with syncing. Sometimes things I added messed up my gf's phone and it just never stopped messing up. OurGroceries seem to support what I need: An easy list with categories. Categories help me find groceries that is close to each other in the store. E.g. Coca-Cola is close to Pepsi Max etc. By just doing alphabetically you end up going back and forward in the store, spending too much time finding stuff. So you gotta use categories. E.g. Wunderlist does not support categories.

I have a list of 293 items now sorted within 13 categories (a lot end up uncategorized as they are..well.. their own category). but most is categorized.

The only problem with OurGroceries is that when you incorrectly press one of the items they disappear very fast. So you don't notice which item you pressed.

Upvote 0
+1 for Our Groceries. This is one of the most useful, time-saving apps I have.
I researched others mentioned above, but chose Our Groceries. Things we love & additional uses:
1) My wife & I can stay synced (even while tackling the same store from different ends).
2) Easy PC/Mac (as well as phone) editing on the OurGroceries website. You can even copy & paste text from existing lists. (Just use the "import" blank field).
3) Packing list & To Do list capable.
4) Crossed-off items remain visible (in a strike-through font) at the bottom of your list and can be restored to the list by simply clicking on them. So for example, you don't have to re-type "milk", remember your inkjet cartridge part #, or re-look-up your car's oil filter part #.
5) "Best Price" list. We keep a benchmark list of "Best Prices" at which stores so that we know, for example, when we go into our local grocery store, if their sale price on item X is as good as the normal price at Costco. (No need to cross-off items since it's not really a shopping list.) Such "Best price" items (are automatically sorted alphabetically) and might include an item like, "Margarine, Canola Harvest tub, 1lb, $2.79. ($2.79/lb)- Costco."

I recommend choosing the option to "long-press" items to cross them off the list, otherwise you can accidentally cross them off the list.

Reactions: foo
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am using Grocery IQ.

The reason I chose this program is that it allows me to type my typing list directly from my desktop (via their website) and then sync it to my Android.

Wish there was a piece of software/app that I could download to my Mac so I wouldn't necessarily have to type the list on a website. Not a deal breaker, mind you.

Upvote 0
Try "Shopping Buddy":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sevencoins.shoppingbuddy

Currently Android-only. I am trying to find time to finish an iOS version.

Main focus of Shopping Buddy:

- Simplicity. You won't find any complex database functions in this app. It is built to replace shared pieces of paper which is frequently misplaced.

- Syncs to the cloud. Multiple persons can share and update the same list. May be handy for a solo user with multiple devices.

- Supports attachment of photo to each item (which is also synced). This is useful for product identification, price verification, imaging a paper coupon etc.

- Supports Twitter-like hashtags for categorizing items. Familiar, flexible and lets you categorize an item under multiple categories.

- Price-free and ad-free, and will remain so, I promise :D

Upvote 0
My husband has an iPhone and I have an HTC so we needed to find a grocery list app that supported both phones.

ZipList is a nice because it syncs across both devices and between both of our user names. We both can add to the list to make sure we get what we want. The list can be customized but my favorite feature is that the list is auto-grouped by store aisle so we get out of the store pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones