• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Group Text Spam?????

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    hey guys,

so today i got something new kind of spam. it came in a form of a group text. it has a whole bunch of phone numbers within the group text. there is no message other then people saying "stop" like they think this is spam or advertisements. I'm not really sure how it got started. when i look through the group text phone numbers, i see about 20 or so numbers.

i don't think my phone got hacked, but maybe someone else? i'm thinking about doing a factory reset any ways just as a precaution.

the only way i can think of blocking this from happening again is to add all the numbers and then block them.....but that is 20 or so numbers!!!!!!!!

is their an easier way?

thoughts?

thanx guys

Maybe your number got spoofed? Or perhaps you are using a service which filtered out the original sender's number and so you didn't see the message but are seeing the replies?

Just trying to guess why you see the responses but not what they are responding to.
    no service just Sprint on my Note 8 using samsung's messaging app. i don't think i have anything in my settings that would not show the original text.

i do have Hiya to block spam numbers from calling. the only thing in the setting for Hiya is that i can identify text messages with names in the call log.

Upvote 0
    so the weird thing instead of typing stop, i replied asking how this whole thing got started. and now instead of people typing stop a few have replied that they have no idea what is happening. all the numbers are not in my contacts.

before the other people texting me back, i thought these were some numbers the bots were using to spam people. but as it turns out they are actually people that i do not know.

its just weird.

Upvote 0
    If people are still replying, maybe reply with something like:

I think someone sent all of us a spam or joke group message, let's just all delete this and not reply anymore.
    well to be honest, once i replied to the group text asking how it happened and what is going on, i was able to get two replies and then nothing. so i think once everyone knew that these phone numbers were real everyone stopped texting "stop" i have since deleted the group conversation and now my phone has been quiet for at least an hour now.

its just weird.....never happened to me. i have never heard of such a thing.

now hears a weird thing. in my messages app from samsung, i had originally had the group texting turned on as mms. but it would not let me reply.....saying that the original person who set the group text up has not setup international mms.i have no idea why it mentioned international mms. when i had the messaging app switched to sms, i could reply to the group.

this whole thing is odd.

Reactions: kate
    Upvote 0
    I'd put the other phone numbers in Google and see where they're registered to. If they've been known to be involved in spam someone probably would've added them to one of those "what's this number" lists.
    well what is cool with Hiya is that it identifies and locates the numbers for me.
    well the majority are all over Ca, the others are from OH, SC, and IL.

i'll have to check and see if they are reported in as spam.

Reactions: Shotgun84
    Upvote 0
    This just happened to me as well. Same situation. Mostly numbers from Oregon & Seattle. Some from California, Idaho, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

I'm reporting it to my carrier tomorrow, along with the local authorities. This is way suspicious.
    so it started as this and i just got one a few weeks ago, but it included some kind of ad ( i can't remember what it was for). i ended up just blocking the whole group......end of story.

it just sucks it keeps happening to people.

and to be honest, i'm not sure what your carrier can do about it......just a heads up.

Upvote 0
    Welcome to Android Forums, MemsH!
    I'm reporting it to my carrier tomorrow, along with the local authorities. This is way suspicious.
    Yes, it's suspicious and, I'm sure, quite annoying. However, I doubt if your local police will even take a report. They'll probably ask if there's anything threatening in it, and once you say no, they'll say goodbye. They're too busy with actual crimes to deal with spam texts, unless there's something threatening in them.

I'd suggest doing the things discussed in this thread and be done with it.

It sucks that spammers and scammers are infiltrating every aspect of our lives, but that's reality. :(

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones