• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

---earlier problem solved, just being tired---
OK followed steps everything went smooth, no problems. I thought I'd hit a snag, but that was just me being tired and not looking closely.
So to efficiently utilize the space I already opened, let me ask this.
What happens now if I'm running velocity and rooted and I accept the OTA update its nagging me about? (sorry if it's a silly question, I've never flashed or rooted a droid before, mostly used to palm and old school winmo)

Upvote 0
Last night I followed all the instructions and got my phone rooted with velocity 1.0 on it. I have used it some last night and this morning and everything seemed to be working well. I only went into the terminal and typed su to see if I could actually get root access and it worked and I closed the terminal. Now, this morning I decided to run the velocity command in the terminal, but when I typed su, it gives me a

"[1] + Stopped (signal) su"

or

"[2] Illegal instruction su"

error, or both. I did some web searches to no avail and made sure that I uninstalled any updates to superuser or the terminal that got installed. Anyway, it is still not working and I have no idea how I broke it, but come someone help me?

Even if I just need to reset it back to the way it was RIGHT after I flashed it and then immediately run the velocity command in the terminal? Should I be letting the market update things that were installed with velocity?

Everything else seems to work just fin, I just don't seem to have root access anymore...

Upvote 0
ok, so after fiddling with it all morning, I think I got it worked out by running the adb.bat again and letting it reinstall the rom.

I also THINK I figured out how I broke it. Now that I have SU again, the market is telling me that I need to install "Android Software Update (VS740ZVE)". Is that a no-no? If so, can I ignore that update somehow? It is also telling me that my SU binary is outdated. Not sure which one broke it first, but noe I'm scared to update either one... Thoughts?

Upvote 0
ok, so after fiddling with it all morning, I think I got it worked out by running the adb.bat again and letting it reinstall the rom.

I also THINK I figured out how I broke it. Now that I have SU again, the market is telling me that I need to install "Android Software Update (VS740ZVE)". Is that a no-no? If so, can I ignore that update somehow? It is also telling me that my SU binary is outdated. Not sure which one broke it first, but noe I'm scared to update either one... Thoughts?

Dont worry about the update. Just open Velocity scripts and let it handle that. Also, updating the su binary is highly recommended, as it is necessary for superuser to function properly.

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm trying to get the Velocity 1.2 ROM on my phone. The original post of this thread is step one. After Step 9 of the original post, using LGMU to get 2.2.1 on the phone, the phone constantly reboots and spits out:

Sorry! The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Force close

This makes the phone completely useless and I cannot continue with the steps. How can I get a working 2.2.1?

I had a rooted 2.2.2 stock image prior to this. By using the real LGMU utility, I can go back to something like 2.2.2 stock, but it's broke in a few places (home button doesn't work for example).

I really appreciate your help! Let me know what other info you need.

Thanks!

EDIT: I think the steps of the original article could be expanded after Step 9 to include:

STEP 9a: Once the phone is on, you will probably get a bunch of Force Close boxes. Unplug the phone, and pull the battery then re-insert.

STEP 9b: Do a factory reset by pressing and holding VOL UP+HOME+END
I found this at the LGNPST post and it's obviously what I was missing.

Upvote 0
ok so first i had a problem with lgmu crashing and i was stuck on the download do not unplug screen. somehow i managed to flash a clockwork restore from an old ally. i have fast boot and i have tried both ways shown here. both say specified file path not found then close out. i have even entered fastboot myself and ran both ways and still the same step. right now im stuck with velocity v0.3, i would like a rooted 2.2 :(

edit: i took a step back and found the problem remember to follow the directions.... especially that one that tells yout to extract to c:\ once i moved the files from the second froyo folder to the first it worked... blah

Upvote 0
Is there a newer link to the zip file?...I keep getting a "404 File or directory Server not found error"

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be a new link to froyo.zip (savoxis dot com seems to have rearranged their domain structure but the file is still available) I'm a new user so I cannot post the link (if a mod could it would be appreciated). So if you cant find froyo.zip go to savoxis website(type savoxis into address bar and hit CTRL+ENTER or google: "savoxis") and click on LG ALLY folder/ROMS folder/Project Froyo folder/and finally froyo.zip.

Hope this helps (also hope its the same froyo.zip(215MB) since I haven't had the time to try this yet!)

Thanks everyone for their time in creating this wonderful guide!

Upvote 0
well i know the ally is pretty much a dead project but i can foresee some renewed interest in rooting it. For one, many ally users are now upgrading to better phones and hence now are just getting the courage to attempt rooting. I have 3 ally's i get to tinker with now :). another is many of these ally's will be sold or given away to new users who may want to root it or change roms. My niece actually switched to her first smart phone a few weeks ago, one of my old allies. The root guide hasn't been updated since last year. when i attempted to root mine i couldn't even get started in the process. first off like mentioned above the links are dead and have been moved. now the new folder seems to be labeled "project foyo", are we sure this is the same folder used in the instructions, or an updated/different version. the new folder size is larger for one, second i couldn't find a froyo/driver.bat file. it now goes into a google-usb_driver subfolder and still no .bat file. lastly the instructions don't seem to match a windows 7 64 bit set-up, which many people are using now adays. for instance my programs are stored normally in c:/ program files or c:/ program files (x86). i want to root my ally's but am unsure how to get started :(

Upvote 0
well i know the ally is pretty much a dead project but i can foresee some renewed interest in rooting it. For one, many ally users are now upgrading to better phones and hence now are just getting the courage to attempt rooting. I have 3 ally's i get to tinker with now :). another is many of these ally's will be sold or given away to new users who may want to root it or change roms. My niece actually switched to her first smart phone a few weeks ago, one of my old allies. The root guide hasn't been updated since last year. when i attempted to root mine i couldn't even get started in the process. first off like mentioned above the links are dead and have been moved. now the new folder seems to be labeled "project foyo", are we sure this is the same folder used in the instructions, or an updated/different version. the new folder size is larger for one, second i couldn't find a froyo/driver.bat file. it now goes into a google-usb_driver subfolder and still no .bat file. lastly the instructions don't seem to match a windows 7 64 bit set-up, which many people are using now adays. for instance my programs are stored normally in c:/ program files or c:/ program files (x86). i want to root my ally's but am unsure how to get started :(

I have windows 7 64bit too. I rooted my ally for the first time using this guide about 3 months ago with no problems.

I didn't find the froyo .bat file either with the new setup. i think i still have it at home on my box. I could send it to you later if no one has a link for it.

Upvote 0
thanks jason80 but i think the project froyo folder has everything needed, it's just a matter of figuring out how to utilize the folders and programs. i tried doing the steps with the files i THOUGHT was the right ones but i don't think it went right. when i ran the KP500 utility i got like 3-4 "file error file not found" and when got to the end of process the utility window had a bunch of ??????? and entry window but no text displayed what was going on. i closed the program and i kept getting media, phone and other errors forced closing and rebooting non stop. i then followed tommyh instructions as he had the same issue it seems.

STEP 9a: Once the phone is on, you will probably get a bunch of Force Close boxes. Unplug the phone, and pull the battery then re-insert.-did nothing and rebooted the same thing over and over

I found this at the LGNPST post and it's obviously what I was missing. this seemed to work and my phone rebooted with 2.1 but no root.

i then used the app universal androot to gain root and that worked.
and thats were im at but hardly feel comfortable.

the project froyo folder also has some folders i'm not sure what to do with. sdcard folder. seems im suppose to put these on my sd card but no instructions in the guide or in the file, there's tons of sub folders. workdir folder that contains fastboot and adb utilities and amonra and stock recoverydisc images, again no instructions or idea what to do with these. lastly in the lgvs740 folder is VS740ZV6_01 but it's zipped. this seems to be the back to stock version i was supose to go back to, it asks were to unzip it too. i haven't done anything with the mentioned folders/utilities it just seems i should be doing something with them...

basically i'm completely lost now lmao.:eek:

at this point i'm all ears. what i would LIKE to do is make sure i have a stock recovery and confident how to use it, make sure my phone is rooted correctly, and install a custom rom. i've tried going to IRC but im not sure where to go to get help. someone told me #android but when i tried to go there i get - you need to be identified with services.

Upvote 0
Hello, I am attempting to root my phone for the first time. The phone is LG ally, all factory setting with 2.2.2. I downloaded froyo.zip from http://www.savoxis.com/LG%20Ally/Roms/Project%20Froyo/ because the posted link no longer works. I extraded it to C:\ (I am using windows 7 x64 btw.) The drivers.bat file wasn't present so I ran LG _USB _Drivers_All_4.9.7 and LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0_All_Win7 because it seemed like the closest thing. I then ran KP500-Utils-EN and put the supplied info in. AFter entering the verion a windows pops up and says C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILE\image\ehader_bg.gif was not found. I hit Ok and software update opens and reads the phones info. When its done an empty window titled server error pops up. The phone downloads and resets. The guide says to open adb.bat but there is no file in the download and the phone just displays the process adroid.process.media and android.process.acore has stoppped unexpectedly. and restarts over and over. Help would be appreciate. Sorry if this message is too long.

Upvote 0
the link to the froyo zip file does not work. it takes me to a bunk site or another site that prompts for username and password, but no mtter what i put in it acts like it' wrong and will not take me to the designated URL. im hapy i found this guide but its not really useful if i can't even get past step 1. i'm sure i could find it on any random torrent site, but wanted to adhere to the instructions in the guide so if something went wrong i would at least know it wasn't my mistake. any helpful hints?

Upvote 0
the link to the froyo zip file does not work. it takes me to a bunk site or another site that prompts for username and password, but no mtter what i put in it acts like it' wrong and will not take me to the designated URL. im hapy i found this guide but its not really useful if i can't even get past step 1. i'm sure i could find it on any random torrent site, but wanted to adhere to the instructions in the guide so if something went wrong i would at least know it wasn't my mistake. any helpful hints?

Looks like you can get it from here Index of /LG Ally/Roms/Project Froyo You'll see froyo.zip

Its changed though a bit. It seems that you'll have to the run Froyo.bat file which contains what used to be separately the ADB.bat and Drivers.bat files.

just follow the prompts and you should be fine, but don't take my word for it.

Upvote 0
So my HTC Thunderbolt got wet last week ( :'( ) so I'm using my Dad's old Ally now. After having root on my Bolt, I really can't go without it, so I set out to root this thing too. I downloaded the froyo.zip file from here and tried to follow the froyo.bat file's instructions myself (I'm too paranoid to let automated methods root my phone). Since I already had fastboot access (phone is 2 years old, shipped with VS740 -- verified with adb reboot bootloader into fastboot), I skipped the downgrading part. Here are the steps I took:

1) Pushed su zip file to phone with adb
2) adb reboot bootloader
3) fastboot flash recovery amonra_recovery.img
4) fastboot boot amonra_recovery.img
5) Made Nandroid (paranoia), flash su zip in recovery
6) adb mv /system/etc/install_recovery.sh /system/etc/install_recovery.sh.bak
7) Reboot from recovery

The problem I was having with following the batch file was that it calls for "fastboot reboot recovery" after flashing amon ra recovery, but fastboot doesn't recognize that as a valid command. As a workaround, I used the fastboot boot command to get into amon ra so I could rename install_recovery.sh and get amon ra to stick.

Hopefully this helps if anyone else is running into this issue with the froyo.bat file. Running Velocity 1.2.2 now, and the phone flies!

Upvote 0
I guess this topic and the guide are a dead issue. I did go to the irc channel looking for help (since no one here offered any). Someone there made the generous offer of taking control of my computer via remote access so they could root my phone for me. Really? Like I would give remote access to a total stranger!

Just wanted to mention that in case anyone else considers going to that irc link for help. You will not find any.

Upvote 0
STEP 9a: Once the phone is on, you will probably get a bunch of Force Close boxes. Unplug the phone, and pull the battery then re-insert.-did nothing and rebooted the same thing over and over

I found this at the LGNPST post and it's obviously what I was missing. this seemed to work and my phone rebooted with 2.1 but no root.

Also stuck on step 9. Getting same error messages but a factory reset does not work (pulls up another error message of "Process system is not responding: Force Close / Wait")

The phone appears a foregone conclusion (which is why I waited until a phone upgrade), unless there are any other thoughts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones