• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] S-ON After LazyPanda S-OFF | Back to Completely Stock!

regaw_leinad

Jun 5, 2010
Do you currently have a bootloader that is S-OFF (thanks to LazyPanda)?
Do you need to take your phone into Sprint for repairs, and are worried that they will find out it is S-OFF?

This guide will show you EXACTLY how to go from S-OFF to S-ON again. Not only that,
but it will be like you just got your phone brand new from Sprint again, ***LOCKED*** and S-ON.
This sure looks like a lot of steps, but it's not really. I've just detailed everything out
so there is no confusion.

This process wipes your phone completely including internal storage (internal sdcard).
It does NOT wipe your external sdcard (the one you physically put in the device).

Requirements
Download one of the following bullet points:
  • 1.13.651.1 RUU (Windows ONLY) - af533d16d6131c7bbd4ef281441cc096
  • PJ75IMG.zip (External Sdcard Required) - a429f8150560433c264887e3d85ba368
And also download the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility (Windows ONLY - SOURCE) - 0cc7bf0adef270ed9c50d4af6ca3382a

Steps
This guide assumes that you have either the HTC drivers from my rooter
or LazyPanda S-OFF installed (since you used them to gain S-OFF/root).

1. Charge you battery to above 50% (preferably fully charged)
  2. Make sure your phone is connected to the computer and make sure Settings > Developer options > USB debugging is checked on your device.
    If you would like to skip making a nandroid backup, skip now to Step #10 if you downloaded the RUU, or Step #11 for the PJ75IMG.zip
  3. Reboot to recovery. If you don't know how to do that, download my RegawMOD Rebooter and use that.
  4. Press "Mount" and make sure the following are checked on
    • Unmount Cache
    • Unmount SDCard
    • Unmount Internal
    • Using external SDCard (this is vital, because the following process wipes your internal sdcard)
  5. Press the back button to get to the main menu.
  6. Press "Backup" and swipe the slider to the right to begin your nandroid backup.
  7. Once complete, press "Back" to go to the main menu.
  8. Press "Reboot" then "System" to reboot back into Android.
  9. If you'd like to backup the nandroid to your computer, do that now by mounting your sdcard to your computer and copying it over.

If you downloaded the PJ75IMG.zip instead of the RUU, skip to Step #11 NOW
  10. Now it's time to run the RUU on your computer. Double click on the exe to run. The following tells you what to do on each screen of the RUU
    • Check the box next to "I understand the caution indicated above and have reviewed the ReadMe." then click "Next"
    • Check the box next to "I have completed the steps indicated above" then click "Next"
    • Click "Update"
    • Click "Next"
    • Click "Next". The RUU will begin to update your phone
    • This process will take ~10 minutes and sometimes up to 20. Be patient!
    • Click "Finish" when it completes. Once complete, your phone will begin to boot into Android.
    • Now skip to Step #17
  11. Copy the PJ75IMG.zip you downloaded onto your external SDCard. You can either:
    • Select Disk Drive mode instead of Charge Only from your device's drop down menu. Then select Charge Only again once it's done copying.
    • Remove your sdcard and put it in a card reader in your computer (put it back in the phone after)
    • (Advanced) Run the command 'adb push PJ75IMG.zip /sdcard/ext_sd/'
  12. Power your device completely off. (We are preparing to boot into the bootloader)
  13. Hold Volume-Down and Power until it boots into the bootloader.
    • This make take a few tries to get into the bootloader, it's finiky.
    • The 3 button LED's will flash a few times, this is normal.
    • The "Enable Fastboot" option in Settings > Power has nothing to do with booting into the bootloader (even though many think it does)
  14. The PJ75IMG.zip will automatically start being read. This takes a LONG time (up to 20 minutes depending on sdcard speed).
  15. When it asks you if you want to flash, press Volume-Up to accept. This will also take up to 20 minutes to flash.
    • Your device may reboot a few times as well, this is normal. The only downside is that it has to reload the PJ75IMG.zip again. Again, normal.
  16. When it's completely finished flashing and prompts you, press the Power button to reboot the device.
  17. Once it's fully booted, skip all of the setup details by pressing "Next"/"Skip" and enable USB Debugging (See Step #2).
    • You can sign in to things if you want, just for time sake I say to skip it here.
  18. Go into Settings > Developer options and check USB debugging (make sure it's on)
  19. Now it's time to run the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility you downloaded to your computer earlier
    • After double clicking the exe, you will be asked if you want to run the utility. Type either y or Y and hit enter to accept.
    • It will run automatically and tell you what it's doing along the way.
    • If there are any errors, it will tell you as well.
    • You may get an extra reboot after it writes S-ON, it's normal.
    • You may get the Hands-Free-Activation pop up as well, that's normal as well.

If the RegawMOD S-ON Writer Utility runs all the way through without errors, you are now fully stock! Congrats!
You now have S-ON and ***LOCKED*** on your bootloader and there is no way to prove that it wasn't!

Post any questions here, or join me in #RegawMOD on irc.freenode.net - WEBCHAT

Consider donating to me to support my work. It is much appreciated and respected by myself.
If not, please hit the "Thanks" button on this post! That also helps me out. OR you can do a tasteful combination of both ;)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones