• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Had an interesting experience with the TP last night...

Martimus

One bite at a time...
Jul 9, 2010
'neath a cactus
Last night I got the pleasure of having to reload my TP... all because of a rather temperamental free app. My TP has been running Alpha 3.5 since it came out and was running quite well. In order to give it more of an ICS feel, I had installed an app from the market called ICS Launcher

https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwyLDEsIm1vYmkuU3luZGljYXRlQXBwcy5JQ1N2MiJd

Not exactly the best ICS look-alike but the price was right and it ran on the TP. Well yesterday the author came out with a significant update to the app. From the notes it looks like there was a significant re-write and the addition of a number of ICS-like features. Well the notes also stated that, once installed, if the app FC's a lot to uninstall and then re-install.

I installed the update and the app started FC'ing... and FC'ing... and FC'ing. It got itself into an endless loop of FC's. Despite this I was able to reboot the TP. No difference! As soon as it rebooted it started FC'ing. I would not let me use the stock launcher, or get into the market app (or settings) to uninstall the app.

The only thing I was able to do was reboot. So I rebooted... into recovery. Since it was well after midnight and I was really tired my first thought was to restore my most recent backup. So I did. Rebooted the TP to make sure it resolved the FC loop. It did. Rebooted it again into recovery. Re-applied the Alpha 3.5 update. Rebooted and then re-installed all of my app updates. I updated everything except ICS Launcher. I then uninstalled ICS Launcher... and reinstalled ICS Launcher. Now all is better.

I think I'll be glad when CM 9 is released as that was more work than I had intended to do in the middle of the night.

Last night I got the pleasure of having to reload my TP... all because of a rather temperamental free app. My TP has been running Alpha 3.5 since it came out and was running quite well. In order to give it more of an ICS feel, I had installed an app from the market called ICS Launcher

https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwyLDEsIm1vYmkuU3luZGljYXRlQXBwcy5JQ1N2MiJd

Not exactly the best ICS look-alike but the price was right and it ran on the TP. Well yesterday the author came out with a significant update to the app. From the notes it looks like there was a significant re-write and the addition of a number of ICS-like features. Well the notes also stated that, once installed, if the app FC's a lot to uninstall and then re-install.

I installed the update and the app started FC'ing... and FC'ing... and FC'ing. It got itself into an endless loop of FC's. Despite this I was able to reboot the TP. No difference! As soon as it rebooted it started FC'ing. I would not let me use the stock launcher, or get into the market app (or settings) to uninstall the app.

The only thing I was able to do was reboot. So I rebooted... into recovery. Since it was well after midnight and I was really tired my first thought was to restore my most recent backup. So I did. Rebooted the TP to make sure it resolved the FC loop. It did. Rebooted it again into recovery. Re-applied the Alpha 3.5 update. Rebooted and then re-installed all of my app updates. I updated everything except ICS Launcher. I then uninstalled ICS Launcher... and reinstalled ICS Launcher. Now all is better.

I think I'll be glad when CM 9 is released as that was more work than I had intended to do in the middle of the night.

was my entirely experience with 3.5 12 hours after it was applied.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones