• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Has 6.0 bricked anyone's Nexus 7?

KupKrazy

Android Enthusiast
Well, the OTA Marshmellow update went well and everything was actually working fine for a few days until all of a sudden, the screen showed the words "Google" on a black screen and from that point on it has basically been bricked. The word stays there forever. I hold the power button down and eventually it'll turn off, but when I try to turn it on again, I get the same result.

After trying everything, I decided to do a hard reset and do a wipe data/factory reset in Android Recovery, and even that is failing. I get error messages and am getting exactly the same behavior as this person described in this thread: http://www.androidauthority.com/com...-update-has-rendered-my-tablet-useless.18555/

I hope it's not against the rules to post such a link, but I wasn't sure if I could describe it any better. It seems that this may be an issue with others as well. My tablet is long past warranty so not really sure what options I have (other than perhaps reflashing a ROM?). So, just curious if anyone else has run into this issue.

My Nexus 7 tablet started yesterday (10/12) a system update at 22:00. It is now 16:06 of the next day (13/12), and it is still...doing it. The battery was at 100% when it started and was almost drained out completely, I have to have it plugged in to not let it shut down at the moment. And the installation has not finished yet. I now only get to the Google logo on my screen. One screen shows up saying "Android is starting... Optimizing app 7 of 35" and then it shows ANDROID ,and then the whole thing starts again, same deal.
My internet connection is a VDSL one, so fast. The update was around 70MB, from what I saw on the screen. It downloaded, restarted the tablet on it's own, and after that I keep seeing the moving google letters on the black font, and nothing else, it keeps wiggling and "installing".
I'm now convinced that my tablet has basically "frozen" in an eternal loop state, and I do not know how to fix it.

You can just flash the factory image yourself. It's fairly easy, but if you don't know how to use adb/fastboot then just use wugfresh nexus root toolkit. Get it here
Just install it on your PC. It will help you to flash a nexus factory image. You can flash 6.0.1.
You can do it without wiping any data.

Back
Top Bottom