• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Headphone in-line remote for Desire

This is some major fail here by HTC. The phone costs 700+ AUD, yet they cant bundle it with a socket at the end of the inline control headphone/earbud control cable.

I think ill do what old mate suggested, and look for some sort of moulded socket and attempt a solder job. /sigh

Everyone should email HTC about this, maybe they will realise that this kind of basic attachment is needed, expecially for one of its flagship devices.

Upvote 0
I've been searching too but not found anything. The back/next control on the stock headphones is gread but the headphones themselves are awful. I tried my wifes iphone headphones (MB770G) and the play/pause button works but not the back/next control so I guess they must be wired differently.

@Banzibarn - I can't get the back/next controls to change the volume if you press and hold, just fast forwards which is a shame.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Jabra Clipper for a week now and really like it.

The controls works with the built in player and Spotify.

Battery life is very good so far and I expect it to improve after some charging cycles, you easily get through a day at the office without charging.

Sound quality is very good in my opinion, when playing stereo music over BT the range is just a few meters but when used for talking the range is comparable with normal headsets.

You can use any earphones with 3.5 jack, microphone and controls are all built in the clip. The clip is a bit too tight, making it hard to fasten.

I can recommend ut.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Jabra Clipper for a week now and really like it.
I just got mine yesterday and I really enjoy it (despite some minor skipping once in a while). I found a "problem", though, that I'm trying to fix. Maybe someone can help.

I have two media players - Cubed (3) and BeyondPod (podcast player). Problem is, BeyondPod overrides the controls. In other words, if I'm in Cubed and hit the Play/Stop button, BeyondPod will play. The ONLY way I have figured out to restore control to Cubed is by taskkilling BeyondPod. I don't really like that method (a bit inelegant, really). Anyone have a solution?

By the way, if you have Locale (and the Variables and Bluetooth Detection plug-in), I made a cool "situation" that will turn off the Bluetooth on the phone. Here's what you do: If Bluetooth is ON, set variable BTon = 1. Then, If Bluetooth is ON and DeviceName is disconnected AND BTon == 1, then turn off Bluetooth and set BTon = -1.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. What happens is, I turn on Bluetooth, turn on my headset and then listen. When I turn off my headset, the Bluetooth turns off immediately. If you don't use the Variable plug-in, things get a bit messy. You could probably achieve the same thing another way, but that's the way I did it.

Tim

Upvote 0
Cancel that. I'm returning it. I thought the skipping was part and parcel of using Bluetooth headphones, but my friend let me borrow his MW600 Sony Ericsson's and they work without skipping. I'm returning them tomorrow and buying the MW600. The controls are a bit odd, but I like that they are separate. It's a bit "bigger", but perhaps not (maybe just longer, because it's definitely thinner). I also like that it has a clip rather than the weird slip on that the Jabra had.

Tim

Upvote 0
What I did was cutting the original cable and then solder my own 3.5mm jack onto it. It works like charm :D.

For the ones that can't solder it, go to your local electronic store and ask them if they want to do that for you. Since the copper wires are coated, soldering on these cables does require some skills.

I see that I can order the original Desire headsets on Ebay, if you are really interested, I won't mind to solder a few cables for you guys :).

Hi App,
Can I just check what you mean here... You can solder a 3.5mm earphone socket above the packaged Desire connector and remote so you can use your own earphones and the remote still functions?

If so, I would like this very much and will be visiting an electronics store this week.

:)

Upvote 0
Hi App,
Can I just check what you mean here... You can solder a 3.5mm earphone socket above the packaged Desire connector and remote so you can use your own earphones and the remote still functions?

If so, I would like this very much and will be visiting an electronics store this week.

:)

Have no Chinese manufacturers made something like this and released it on ebay yet? They are missing a trick as I think quite a few people would snap them up.

Reactions: ingenious
Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have been hunting high and low for a pair of decent earphone that has an inline remote that will at least play/pause my htc desire!

Today i tried my friends iphone earphones that have the inline remote (1 click play/pause, 2 clicks skip forward etc) and they worked very well with "mort" media player (free app).

So I am now looking for earphones that are compatible with the iphone with line remote.

Hopefully this is useful for some of you out there.

Upvote 0
I'm testing a set of iPhone headphones with Mic: works great for the time being. I'm looking around for a nice set of in-ears with Mic and remote. I'm thinking of Etymotics and Ultimate Ears.

What I've done is: install MixZing as multiplayer. Then it will make the iPhone earphone controls work as usual. During call: click hangs up. When ringing, click will answer. During music play: click is pause/play. Double click: next song. Hold the button a few seconds switches to MixZing app. To return to app you were in before: press Back button.

This is on my Desire with Android 2.1.

Just got my lovely new Desire and very shiny and nice it is too. Just one thing I want - an in-line remote that allows me to use my own 'phones (Shure SE210's if that's of the slightest interest). The supplied headphones and remote / mic are adequate but not a patch on a good sound-isolating pair.

I've seen these on the HTC Website, but only has the call answer / end function and not the media controls I would really like:
HTC: Accessory store: Pocket PC Headsets + Handsfree: HTC Desire Audio Adaptor for 3.5mm to 3.5mm HS U350 (with Stereo Headset + HTC Logo, Retail Pack): Description

There's lots of these out there for a certain fruit-branded smartphone, but not so much for the Desire it seems. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Upvote 0
I'm testing a set of iPhone headphones with Mic: works great for the time being. I'm looking around for a nice set of in-ears with Mic and remote. I'm thinking of Etymotics and Ultimate Ears.

What I've done is: install MixZing as multiplayer. Then it will make the iPhone earphone controls work as usual. During call: click hangs up. When ringing, click will answer. During music play: click is pause/play. Double click: next song. Hold the button a few seconds switches to MixZing app. To return to app you were in before: press Back button.

Cool thanks for this info, this means that the

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Been looking at these and they look very tempting:

Sony Ericsson MW600 Stereo Bluetooth Headset

I like the fact that effectively it makes any set of headphones bluetooth enabled via the 3.5mm jack, which is great as I have some noise cancelling headphones I'd love to use with it.

A built in FM tuner is a bonus too...

G

I have them and they are just GREAT! Go for it!! :)

Upvote 0

Can somebody else confirm that? I really want to replace the original headphones with something more isolating and with better sound quality. I also want to ask whether MixZing is the only player which changes next song when the remote is double clicked. What about TuneWiki and bTunes? I'll appreciate your suggestions.

Upvote 0
MixZing music player's latest update will solve this problem..

I have a HTC Desire, with the single button inline controller, and mixzing now supports the following:
1 press = play
2 presses = skip forward
3 presses = skip back

I can finally put the phone in my pocket or whatever and get enough control so I don't have to keep turning the screen on!!

the App is free with some small adds, or paid version which I now have.

Reactions: Scouse
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones