• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello and Some Questions

Hi Everyone:)
My name is Darien and I was very glad to find this Android specific forum, and even more glad that it had a section specifically devoted to the Huawei Ascend device. I just purchased one and I am still getting used to how it(the phone) and the Android system works. After reading a few posts, I feel right home here, so, If I don't say it later, thanks for your help in advance!

My first questions are about "rooting". What exactly does "rooting your phone" mean? What are the benefits and disadvantages of "rooting" my phone, and can it be done on a Huawei Ascend?

My second question is: There is an Uno app on my phone that I want to remove, but it doesn't show up on my applications list and I can't find it in the phone directory when I connect it to my computer. How do I remove this app? This is kind of annoying.

Well, that's it for now. Again, Thanks and hello!

Avidlearner:D

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Rooting is, in essance, providing yourself super user access to the protected parts of the phones firmware. Once you root your phone you can use paid apps like Titanium Backup or Bloat Freeze to remove bloatware apps like "Uno".

You don't necessarily want to delete the app as phone manufacturers have gotten sneaky in recent times. Over-the-air updates now check to aspects of the firmware before beginning updates. If the apps they check aren't there the update automatically fails...

For more info on rooting and freezing apps, check out our Huawei Ascend "All Things Root" forum...

Ascend - All Things Root - Android Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones