• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Hello Genie"/Voice Mate

jwbwd2

Dec 5, 2013
I have had some problems getting the Voice Mate app to respond to the voice commands. You have the options of turning them on, when they will respond, and the two different voice commands. I have tried all combinations of the options and I can only get it to respond to the voice command immediately after changing the settings before I black out the screen. After that it never responds until I change the settings again. Anyone else having any issues? Any ideas?

FWIW: I can continue to press the button and it will respond to the next command.

Try going in and clearing the data and cache of Voice Mate...

Settings | Applications manager | (scroll Right till you see ALL, then scroll down till you see Voice Mate, then select it, and Clear Data and Clear Cache. You might also want to Force Stop, Disable, and then exit out, then go back in and Re-enable.

Here's a listing someone put together on acceptable commands.

LG Voice Mate: can it talk like Siri? - WhistleOut

Upvote 0
I think maybe I am just expecting it to function in a different manner than it was programmed to. I did as you suggested and turned on the options for lock screen. It does listen for me every time I power the phone on. Is the voice command supposed to work at any other time than on the lock screen? On my phone it does not, and maybe it is not supposed to. I just don't see the point in this if you have to activate it every time you want to use it. It takes less energy (and frustration) for me to just launch the app or perform the function than it does to try and communicate with voice mate. Again, maybe I am just using this software incorrectly but it just seems very useless and actually an inconvenience.

Upvote 0
I would also like to add that I am loosely comparing the voice mate to the Samsung Note 3 voice command software (which I believe is a huge leap forward from Siri) which will launch at ANY time with the voice command and is highly responsive to a very long list of commands.

Thank you for the link, I may just need to play with the software just to see what I can and cannot do with it and I might even find something that is useful for me but for now I will just manually use all functions as it causes less headache.

Upvote 0
I put an icon on my desktop to initiate it. I do not use it from a lock screen. I would imagine it to be a resource consumer if left running.

It is a bit of a novelty.

I have no familiarity with other Siri-like voice activated agents. There must be others in the PlayStore.

Maybe it's an issue of expectation setting. I don't see how it keeps listening without another press of the button for the next command. YMMV.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones