• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help before I start over

cfh09

I've seen so many good ideas here that I want to totally start from square 1. I completed backed up everything on my removable memory. Is there anything else I need to back up before I wipe the phone clean? And how exactly do I wipe the phone clean so I can start from scratch like I'm just taking the phone out of the box for the very first time (that seems like ages ago!)? Sorry, I just don't want to mess up anything. I'm really nervous about doing this.

Download MyBackup Pro from the marketplace and back up everything to the SD card. For saving your app list I prefer using AppBrain. Then go to Setting>Privacy>Factory data reset. It will do a clean wipe of the device. When you restart you will need to reprogram your phone and go through the original setup screens. I would avoid setting up verizon's backup Assistant (it's redundant and uses up battery). I don't use HTC's version of facebook, twitter, flickr, either so I don't set up those apps either.

After all that you need to download MyBackup Pro again to your device then you can pick and choose the data you want to restore. It has an option to restore your apps, but it just provide links to them. I prefer using AppBrain to back up my app list. I would also not restore settings as the whole point of the reset is to start all over with new settings.

Tips:
If you have some apps that you loaded outside of the marketplace make sure to store a copy of them and have them clearly labeled. If you're using the Swype beta save the installer apk and then you can run it again and it will ask you to log in with your registered email and will download and install the beta again.

I found that restoring the HTC Sense home screen scenes restored fine, but took a very long time. I would clean up only the scenes you need and delete what you don't need to reduce the number of them and making that process faster. Remember that most of your widgets probably will not work so you have to reinstall them to your home pages after installing the apps to your device. Program links should work fine again after reinstalling the apps, so you shouldn't have to recreate the links for those apps on your home screens (the associations with be re-established after rebooting your device).

Contacts restore can also take a long time if you have a lot, so I prefer just syncing all my contact with my google account and restoring by re-syncing with my google account vs restoring from SD mybackup pro.

Thank you for your detailed instructions. Oh my, my head is spinning for sure! When you say "After all that you need to download MyBackup Pro again to your device" how do I do that (sorry for the lack of technology knowledge--I'm probably old enough to be everyone's grandma). Do I download it from the Market?

I'm really getting cold feet on this whole process. I wish I had a "youngster" nearby to walk me through this. Oh well, I will probably take the plunge later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know how successful I was.

One other question: How do I backup my beta copy of Swype?

Thanks again!

Thank you for your detailed instructions. Oh my, my head is spinning for sure! When you say "After all that you need to download MyBackup Pro again to your device" how do I do that (sorry for the lack of technology knowledge--I'm probably old enough to be everyone's grandma). Do I download it from the Market?

One other question: How do I backup my beta copy of Swype?

MyBackup Pro is a third party app that you download from the Market. When you do a hard reset your device is wiped clean except for your SD Card (where the app stores the back up). When you start up your device after resetting everything is like it was when you first got your phone, so you have to re-do everything. MyBackup Pro can restore most of your stuff but you need to do a few things manually first. Like some basic startup settings, program your phone with verizon (dial *228) and enter your google account info (after doing this you should use google sync to re-sync your contacts and calendar and not use MyBackup Pro for these two). To restore the rest of your backed up data you need to re-install MyBackup Pro to the device, and you have to go back to the Market and download it all over again. But this time when you run it choose to restore a backup from your SC Card. It will give you check boxes for all the types of back up data you want to restore. Remember to not check the boxes for contacts, calendar and settings. Then let the app go through and restore everything. This can take a while, so just wait on it.

If you are registered with the official swype beta you should have a file on your device called Swype-Installer.apk You need a file explorer program like ES File Explorer to locate the file on you device. On my phone it's in the SD card inside the 'download' folder. If it's on you SD card then you're fine, you don't need to do anything before doing a reset. After you reset and all the other stuff, find the file again and click on it to run it and it will ask for your registration information. After everything checks out it will download and install swype to your phone.

Back
Top Bottom