• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help bring M8 back to life, from water damage (foam party)

DanX47

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Last night I was at a foam party and I thought the foam would be harmless. There are bubbles in the screen, not as much now though.
I also have a dot case on my phone. So as I left the place, the phone had the white HTC screen and it was in a constant vibration, then a reboot screen later on, still vibrating. I put it in a bag of rice overnight (about 7 hours).

Today when I woke up it was not vibrating anymore, I believe the phone is dead though as it needs to charge. So I plugged it in and the red light shows and it still vibrates again. I don't believe it's dead. But nothing else comes on screen.

I'm going to leave it in rice the rest of the day. Any tips on what I should do?

While you can search and find all kinds of tips on what to do, I will give you what I did when I dropped my Incredible into the commode. One even recommended a pure alcohol bath (EEK!).

I was brave enough to disassemble it pretty far. M8's from what I know are a sealed case so this might be tougher for you.

A low wattage bulb (40-60) about 8-12" from the phone and a low speed fan blowing over it. You cant remove the battery but you should stop trying to power it on and charging it. I did the light/fan for two days. Reassembled and it worked fine.

The key is what conductive chemicals are in the foam as when it dries the residue will still be there. So until you are pretty sure its dry inside (think days not hours) I would be very hesitant to power it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones