• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help find keyboard with CAPITAL letters only

Yes thank you! I'm studying Russian in Duolingo and Fleksy works to keep the keys in upper case. Having more letters than English, the Russian keyboard is busy and the lower case keys are too small for my eyes.

Agree that Fleksy is far from perfect so I'm following this thread for other suggestions. I don't want to use it as my main keyboard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201213-171257_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201213-171257_Chrome.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 105
If you know how to type you don't look at your keyboard anyway so what does it matter if it's upper or lower case?

LOL like many other tech discussions, this one is further proof that we are all stuck in our rut. Those who ate Android first can't accept a different choice, and vice versa. Ever since I chose an Android tablet as a companion to my iPhone I have been looking for a caps-only soft keyboard for it. Sure, things change and yet we can still have preferences. If you think your gen is different, look around and see how little you and your friends are different from each other on the surface: same pants, shoes, haircut, language, likes & dislikes. Who knows what the next gen keyboard will be--tongue-swipe only, maybe. If you choose to opt out then, wouldn't you rather people respected your preference? "If you know how to type you don't look at your keyboard anyway"--These words remind me if a job interview question for administrative assistants. But hey, not everyone is in the same market as you are so if you can't answer the OP's question, how about you just sit down and be quiet.

Last edited:
If you know how to type you don't look at your keyboard anyway so what does it matter if it's upper or lower case?

Well physical keyboards yeh, that are tactile. I can type on a PC or Mac keyboard without looking at it. And those usually have the keycaps printed with upper-case latters.

But a touch sensitive keyboard like on a phone or tablet, that's mealy an image on a screen, you can't feel that of course, and so you must look at it.

I am interested in the caps only feature because I am using Android mobile barcode scanners in my manufacturing plant. The workers using these devices, which look like robust thick mobile phones, use a website that is part of our ERP system that they do transactions in. They have to tell the system when they are moving parts from a bin to another bin and all the part numbers and bin numbers are capital letters. So if the keyboard is not auto capitalized, you have to constantly tell it to make everything capital. These devices are used for nothing else. So if you all needed or wanted a legit use reason, there it is! I was gonna try Fleksy but also read it’s Russian and different? Is there really not a quick easy way to make this happen?

I've not found such an option on any of my keyboards. The OP doesn't want to type caps but for the keys to display them regardless of whether you are typing lower or upper case. It's the opposite of what most of us want (I want to see what the key will do with both a short and a long press - not providing the latter I find even more annoying on apple keyboards than having to look at the shift key to know whether it will the upper or lower).

I typed my use case at the end of this thread. I need it to just auto put the letters into capital and stay that way. The need for displaying small letters but typing capitalized is not necessary but to just default to capital and stay that way unless turned off. I am a GM at a manufacturing plant where I have mobile android barcode scanners. They use these devices to scan barcodes and do bin to bin transfers of our materials in the plant. All part numbers and bins are capital letters. So without capital being set automatically, the users have to constantly tell the keyboard to use capitals. These devices can only access the erp system in a browser window and are used for nothing else. Is there any options with my use case??

I am interested in the caps only feature because I am using Android mobile barcode scanners in my manufacturing plant. The workers using these devices, which look like robust thick mobile phones, use a website that is part of our ERP system that they do transactions in. They have to tell the system when they are moving parts from a bin to another bin and all the part numbers and bin numbers are capital letters. So if the keyboard is not auto capitalized, you have to constantly tell it to make everything capital. These devices are used for nothing else. So if you all needed or wanted a legit use reason, there it is! I was gonna try Fleksy but also read it’s Russian and different? Is there really not a quick easy way to make this happen?

FYi Fleksy are actually in Barcelona, Spain, not Russia.

As for a keyboard that's always in UPPER-CASE LETTERS by default, I'm not aware of any. But apparently Fleksy does offer user customisation of keyboards, which might work for your uses. https://developers.fleksy.com/ Like maybe it could create you an UPPER-CASE only keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom