• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help in deciding which Android to buy?

c1823a

Lurker
Ok, first I would like to apologize if my "specific" question has already been asked (and answered) and I missed it while searching through the forum.

I had used a Blackberry Bold for several years and for me, it was a great phone for my needs; call quality, few dropped calls, synchronizing with Outlook, contacts, calendar.

A couple of months ago I purchased an HTC Inspire. The Inspire is an amazing phone but after using it for a couple of months, I found it not so easy to slide in/out of my pocket and several other issues primarily due to its size and no physical keyboard.

When I purchased the first generation Iphone, years ago, I never liked the absence of a physical keyboard but decided I would try it again with the HTC Inspire. Conclusion; I still want a physical keyboard.

Can you folks help me decide which Android phone may be best for me? I've done research on the internet but would like to her actual users opinions.

I'm with AT&T so, any brand/model that is compatible with AT&T's system is OK with me.

What I would prefer and/or how I use my phone - (most important listed first)

1. Physical Keyboard
  2. Easy in/out of pocket (a phone that's not so big as Inspire, Infuse, etc.)
  3. Using the phone to actually speak with other people (good volume,call quality,etc.)
  4. Texting and Email
  5. Good Synchroization abilities with Outlook or comparable (maybe Google will work for me)
  6. Calendar updates
  7. Internet (not overly important)
I'm sure many people ask this same question but I do appreciate any/all of you who may take the time to help me decide.

Thanks

I'm on Verizon and the only Android phone I've seen still on their website that has a physical keyboard is the Motorola Droid Pro. Seems like the trend of smartphone technology is touch screen keyboards and moving away from physical keyboards.

Edit: realized I overlooked the Motorola Droid 2 Global which also has a slide out physical keyboard.

One of the options to consider is a bluetooth keyboard that can be paired to any smartphone. That makes your phone choice ultra flexible. You can use the on-screen keyboard for short emails. And when you need long emails, pair the blue-tooth keyboard and use it to compose.

I have the Samsung Epic with a full 5 row keyboard, and I've only used the physical keyboard two or three times since I got it last year. The on-screen keyboard is more than sufficient for me.

Thanks for your input. What do you think about the Motorola Droid 2 Global? All opinions would be greatly appreciated. How easy could I buy one without signing a new contract? Is the Milestone 2 actually the same exact phone? It seems to me the Milestone is the same except the Droid 2 Global is advertised with a 1.2 Ghz while the Milestone 2 I read about said it had a 1Ghz processor. Is that correct?

I've heard good things about the Droid 2 Global. I do believe it's similar to the Milestone 2. You could buy a used one on eBay / local Craigslist or find a listing here in our classified, just make sure the ESN is "clean", by calling Verizon to make sure.

I just did an extensive amount of reading on the Droid 2 Global and it appears there is no easy way to make it work on AT&T's system without paying some third party ~$100 or so and then there are no guarantees. I've rooted an HTC before so, with good instructions, software and files, I don't mind doing it again, I just have to keep looking I guess. I am by no means a developer/code writer but when good tools are available, I don't mind putting them to use.

Conclusion; I still want a physical keyboard.
Don't assume that they're all the same. Make sure you test any device you're considering in person. I wanted a physical keyboard when I was switching from my BB 8310 to an Android device. I can tell you that I don't want my Droid's keyboard. Keyboards are an area where people tend to have highly subjective preferences.

Easy in/out of pocket (a phone that's not so big as Inspire, Infuse, etc.)
Be very careful using unqualified subjective words. What size device do you consider "easy in/out"? Don't assume that your preferences are universal.

Using the phone to actually speak with other people (good volume,call quality,etc.)
There's no central and objective comparison of devices with regard to these aspects. You're only going to get suggestions based on a given person's (limited) experience.

Texting and Email
What about these, specifically? All devices are capable. What are you looking for? What types of email accounts do you have? Also, don't assume that you have to use the stock apps. Android isn't like BB. These are really more app concerns than device concerns.

Good Synchroization abilities with Outlook or comparable (maybe Google will work for me)
I wouldn't count on out-of-the-box sync. You'll artificially limit your options for one thing. As always, check http://syncdroid.net for options.

Ok, first I would like to apologize if my "specific" question has already been asked (and answered) and I missed it while searching through the forum.
You might want to look over the other device selection threads again. I'm not saying that you'll find a thread looking for the exact same device as you but consider the individual criteria that people are looking at and see if any of them might apply to your case. I don't think any of the questions that I posted are unique to your situation. They're things that most shoppers should be thinking about when looking at devices.

Don't assume that they're all the same. Make sure you test any device you're considering in person. I wanted a physical keyboard when I was switching from my BB 8310 to an Android device. I can tell you that I don't want my Droid's keyboard. Keyboards are an area where people tend to have highly subjective preferences.

Agreed. I will test them out but opinions are also appreciated.

Be very careful using unqualified subjective words. What size device do you consider "easy in/out"? Don't assume that your preferences are universal.

As stated in my post, i feel the Inspire and Infuse are too large. I'm looking for something a little smaller.

There's no central and objective comparison of devices with regard to these aspects. You're only going to get suggestions based on a given person's (limited) experience.

Opinions are appreciated.

What about these, specifically? All devices are capable. What are you looking for? What types of email accounts do you have? Also, don't assume that you have to use the stock apps. Android isn't like BB. These are really more app concerns than device concerns.

Good point. For now, it will mostly be internet mail but may need more options in the near future (new job).

I wouldn't count on out-of-the-box sync. You'll artificially limit your options for one thing. As always, check Sync Android/Droid with Outlook/Exchange for options.

Never heard of that - I will check it out.

You might want to look over the other device selection threads again. I'm not saying that you'll find a thread looking for the exact same device as you but consider the individual criteria that people are looking at and see if any of them might apply to your case. I don't think any of the questions that I posted are unique to your situation. They're things that most shoppers should be thinking about when looking at devices.

I agree that most people do look for similar attributes but maybe with different priorities in mind. Some folks will admit to using their phones mostly for SMS rather than talking. Being in a sales related environment, I need a phone that supports good sound quality and sufficient volume. Thanks for all your input here! I really do appreciate your help.

Hello again! I posted this on one of the other forums but I would like to make sure I gather as much information as possible from all the great folks out there.

I'm considering buying an HTC Desire Z from an Ebay seller located in Canada. Can anyone tell me if there are any duty fees / taxes for importing into the USA and if so, how these are paid, etc. I've never bought anything like this from outside the USA so, I have no idea what to expect.

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom