• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me decide between the M9 and the S6

brad_italiano

Lurker
Apr 24, 2015
I made an account just for this post, because I have made lists, talked to friends, even talked to a guy at the AT&T store and Best Buy. I've been a lurker for years, but am hoping you guys can help sway me one way or the other. (Hopefully this is the right section, tried to find the best place for it.)

I am absolutely torn between these two phones. Little quick bit of background. I currently have the M7, had it for over a year and a half, and love it. I love Boomsound, Sense, and have almost zero complaints about my M7. But it's getting towards the end of its life, and I want to upgrade.

Here's the list I have so far of each side, I have a handwritten side by side comparison, I'll transfer it here. I was originally only going towards the Edge, but the Edge features are really not that useful and mostly gimmicky, and the extra $100 just isn't worth it anymore for me.

One M9:

Price (on AT&T): $200 with upgrade (which I have), or $35.45/month for 20 months, can upgrade after 12
Storage: 32 GB, will add storage via at least 64 GB microSD, this is important for me, I have over 30 GB of music alone.

Protection: "Uh Oh" Protection 1 year no questions asked

Misc Pros: Themes, Custom Nav Bar (love this), Boomsound, Sense, Dotview Case (potentially)

Camera: 20 MP/4 UP, reviews are mixed to good

Battery: 2840 mAh, mixed to good reviews

Galaxy S6:

Price (on AT&T): $300 on contract (need at least 64 GB), or $39.25/month for 20 months

Protection: Samsung Plus Mobile Elite, $99, up to 3 replacements, $75 each time

Misc Pros: Themes (Including awesome Avengers one caught my eye), Slimmed down Touchwiz, tons of Samsung features/gimmicks, pretty solid speakers

Camera: 16 MP/5MP reviews are great

Battery: 2550 mAh, mixed reviews (Also fast charging, wireless charging)

Overall, I never thought I would consider switching from HTC (which I love and have had ZERO issues with) to Samsung, but after handling both phones, looking at reviews, etc I have been considering it.

I finally got my hands on the M9, and its impressive. It's a noted improvement in speed, features, etc over my M7. I liked the customizable nav bar, and was overall happy how it handled.

I have tried the S6, and I have to say I was impressed. I've always just been "okay" with the Galaxy line, but mostly because of software and the build quality, but the hardware has obviously changed significantly, and apparently they've slimmed down Touchwiz a good amount.

I use my phone quite a lot, listen to music on it, use Twitter, Facebook, tons of sports apps, streaming, and some games. Phandroid help!!

Also one last quick sort of related note: Does ANYONE know anything about the pink/gold version of the M9? I can't find availability on this anywhere! I currently have the Best Buy blue M7, and I like to have a cool color on my phone, and would love to potentially get the pink version since its different, but I can't find info on it ANYWHERE!

Welcome to the forum :)

I should probably move this thread to our device/carrier comparisons forum, since that's what it's for, but I'll say a few words first.

Most importantly, they are both very good phones. So the truth is that if you just pick whichever one you like most you'll do just fine.

If your media collection is likely to expand then of course expanding the M9 is easier. Otherwise either will do the things that you say you use it for perfectly well - the M9 wins on speakers, the S6 has the edge on the rear camera, the M9 on the front camera, but there isn't a killer argument either way unless there is one feature which particularly appeals or particularly puts you off, and if there were I guess you'd not be asking.

I'm afraid I know nothing about the pink/gold version's availability - if I buy an M9 it will be gunmetal gray (I have a black M7 right now).

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones