• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP me fix something that the android antivirus app messed up!

I installed the Android Antivirus (made by AVG, website at droidsecurity.com).

After I did a scan, it said that it found an infected app and gave me a button to remove it. It didn't tell me what the app was. I'm not going to remove an app unless I know what it is. It could have been a false reading.

So, I uninstalled. I then noticed that my icon in the dock bar for opening/closing the app drawer was replaced by the antivirus' pill icon, even though I had already uninstalled it. When I press the icon, it says "Application not installed on phone".

I tried rebooting. I tried pulling the battery. Nothing worked.

I tried reinstalling the app to see if there was a setting I can turn off to make the pill go away and THEN I can uninstall it, but there was no such setting.

I visited the help menu and chose Tutorial to see if that might help. All that did was take me to the initial screen that had a link to terms and conditions with buttons for Accept or Close. Accept was disabled, so I could only press Close. When I pressed it, it just took me back to the help menu.

I am so upset at this right now. This antivirus app is causing more trouble than any "virus" I may have had before I installed it. I emailed the developers, so I hope they have a solution.

This almost feels like using Norton, which is just a commercialized virus posing as a security tool. Like Norton, this app has the characteristics of a virus, being that it makes unwanted and problematic alterations to the system and is difficult to remove.

Does anybody have any ideas that could help me get rid of the app as well as that stupid pill icon that has replaced my app drawer button?

Okay, it looks like I fixed it... I'm still leaving this as a warning to others, though.

Back
Top Bottom