• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

help! metropcs ripped me off! Need to unlock my LG F3

piff

Nov 29, 2011
I bought an lg f3 last sat.

I was told by the rep, that my area, walden NY, is covered by metro as it shows it on the map. So I bought the phone and service, but when I get up to walden NY, I can only make emergecy calls
icon1.png

I was on the phone with customer service, for about 68 minutes. after hold times and all, trouble shooting.

Then I try to return my phone, and they said since I have over 60 minutes on my timer, I cant return my phone.

so now i am stuck with a phone
icon1.png
that doesnt work in my area, because metro pcs mislead me showing me a CDMA metro PCS coverage map, and selling me an GSM phone

how can I unlock my phone?

I bought an lg f3 last sat.

I was told by the rep, that my area, walden NY, is covered by metro as it shows it on the map. So I bought the phone and service, but when I get up to walden NY, I can only make emergecy calls
icon1.png

I was on the phone with customer service, for about 68 minutes. after hold times and all, trouble shooting.

Then I try to return my phone, and they said since I have over 60 minutes on my timer, I cant return my phone.

so now i am stuck with a phone
icon1.png
that doesnt work in my area, because metro pcs mislead me showing me a CDMA metro PCS coverage map, and selling me an GSM phone

how can I unlock my phone?

I would suggest you contact Metro via a backchannel message on their Facebook page. AFTER you calm down a bit anyway. Don't message them raising hell but be thorough with your information and firm. Leave them your last name and last 4 of your number.

I would tell them about the 60 mins of your time being talking to Metro. If that is almost all of your talk time, they Should cut you some slack. I'd also leave them the store location and clerks name if you know that. Stress you were told you were in a Home area if that was true.

Let us know what happens.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
Sim unlocking a phone bought after January 26th in the US without carrier approval is a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and thus is illegal. As such, discussion of how to do so isn't permitted.

Well, blowing a stop sign is also illegal and well, you get the idea.

so are you saying, its ILLEGAL if I pay an unlocking service to unlock my phone, that I bought?

Or do I need to ask metro PCS, or LG ?

What legal ramifications would happened if I unlock my phone?

Has anyone gotten in trouble for unlocking their sell phone?

Or is this "law" about not being about to unlock your phone, like that law about it being a federal crime to remove the tag under bed mattress,

TargetPillowPrice.jpg

Reactions: LeeoJohnson
Upvote 0
well it is only illegal if it is without consent from metro. if a carrier gives consent then all is good. so going to a legit place of business to unlock the phone would be ok. that is how companies like straight talk welcomes a bring your own device to unlock them to their carrier.

here is some reading on it:
Reminder: starting Saturday, unlocking your phone will become illegal

Upvote 0
According to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which is what outlawed it in the first place, the penalty is a fine between $200-$2500 fine per phone and up to 1 year in jail.

if there will be someone to implement this law. Anyway how would they find out you did it and not someone else? It seems like if you keep your mouth shut there is no way to prove it.

Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0
so if metro lets me unlock my phone, they will be the ones to give me my unlock code?

or, do they give me permission and then I can go unlock my phone?

metro will unlock their gsm devices after 90 days of service.

what im curious about is you searched for signal up in walden NY and found you had coverage, where did you buy the phone from? because metro has 2 coverage maps and it could have been a gsm covered area where you bought it and only cdma when you went home.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
metro will unlock their gsm devices after 90 days of service.

what im curious about is you searched for signal up in walden NY and found you had coverage, where did you buy the phone from? because metro has 2 coverage maps and it could have been a gsm covered area where you bought it and only cdma when you went home.

so I need to wait 90 days ? what if I dont have service?

For example, I went to the metro PCS store, the lady showed me a coverage map (was a CDMA coverage map)

she then sold me a GSM phone. Now, this was because I lost my phone, and needed anther phone. I was 300 miles away from home, and bought a phone.

I came home only to find out I could only make emergecy calls.

So, now I cant return the phone because I need to drive 300 miles away, and even if I made it, have more then 60 minutes on the account.

so its a very expensive paper weight at this time.

Upvote 0
:mad:
Did you do what was suggested to you in post #3? If not, why not?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I called metro PCS, told them my situation.

a rep told me if I went to a metro PCS store 30 miles away, I could return it. I went to that store, it was abandon

So they they said go to another store. I did, that store told me that I had to go to another store. I guess even though he notated the account, it didnt matter.

Also, metro-PCS did NOT give me the terms and conditions to my agreement with them IN PERSON.

Just the receipt and rebate forms, no actual terms.

I am basically stuck with a paperweight

Upvote 0
I would seriously do what Bruce said to do. Facebook is the best way to get a hold of customer service and to squeeze almost anything out of them... For example:

Guy at the beach leaves his nice new LG Esteem inside of one of his sneakers while he takes a dip (on a public beach in Miami, mind you), and, like dude... Somebody stole his phone :eek: Shocker!!

This was back when I spent a lot of time on Facebook, and I was watching this whole thing. This guy came onto the FB page blasting MetroPCS, saying it was THEIR FAULT his phone is gone because since his phone was constantly switching between 3/4G, he could not dispatch his security app (lookout, whichever), to either ping its location, scream or self-destruct. He whined for a few days threatening lawyers, to put Metro on blast, I'll spread the word, blah blah blah... They ended up giving him a refurbished phone.

I understand what Metro did, giving him a new phone. His spreading the word of THAT as well as being broadcasted on FB may draw more customers, which would be totally worth a refurbished Esteem. I, being head of SpecPCS would have told him to get KCUFED. I would rather lose a couple of idiots to Boost instead of showing all of FB that I'll just hand out Premium devices that, as far as I know, you just turned off and threw in a drawer.

With that said, go to FB page and wage war, sir! I'd tell them either money back in full or a comparable CDMA handset in place of it. Seriously, don't let them rip you off :(:( BE PERSISTENT

Upvote 0
call metro, ask for manager, if they tell you to go to another store, tell them you have no time. If that does not work tell ghem that you are going to make a complaint to BBB and consumers affairs. If that does not work, call your CC company (I assume you paid with CC) tell them you got scammed and product and service you received did not match the promise. Not sure what is going to happen to your phone number if you win the dispute.

Upvote 0
call metro, ask for manager, if they tell you to go to another store, tell them you have no time. If that does not work tell ghem that you are going to make a complaint to BBB and consumers affairs. If that does not work, call your CC company (I assume you paid with CC) tell them you got scammed and product and service you received did not match the promise. Not sure what is going to happen to your phone number if you win the dispute.

I am stuck with the phone.

I asked metro PCS for the unlock code, they told me, to use a pattern instead of a code.... they think I forgot my unlock code on my phone. They have no idea what "unlock GSM" means.

I talked to a manager who said, we do not UNLOCK phones.

so now I have a paperweight.

How does someone get their unlock code from metro PCS?

Upvote 0

I asked metro PCS for the unlock code, they told me, to use a pattern instead of a code.... they think I forgot my unlock code on my phone. They have no idea what "unlock GSM" means.

Check your inbox

Upvote 0

... are you sure you will get cdma coverage there? If so, pm me and I will be able to trade you a cdma lg motion 4g for the lg f3. If you still wish to keep your phone and unlock it, you must first find a knowledgeable metropcs customer care representative that understands the differences between a sim lock, phone lock, and subsidy carrier unlock. You need to state that you need to unlock your phone for use for a different gsm carrier. However, even before that, please check with your area with att coverage. If you do not get service with att, then it is pointless to unlock the phone since that is the only other network you can use witb your phone. Of course with the new law in place, if metropcs refuses to unlock your phone, it will be more difficult to get your phone unlocked. Possible? Yes. Hope that info helps. Good luck.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
... are you sure you will get cdma coverage there? If so, pm me and I will be able to trade you a cdma lg motion 4g for the lg f3. If you still wish to keep your phone and unlock it, you must first find a knowledgeable metropcs customer care representative that understands the differences between a sim lock, phone lock, and subsidy carrier unlock. You need to state that you need to unlock your phone for use for a different gsm carrier. However, even before that, please check with your area with att coverage. If you do not get service with att, then it is pointless to unlock the phone since that is the only other network you can use witb your phone. Of course with the new law in place, if metropcs refuses to unlock your phone, it will be more difficult to get your phone unlocked. Possible? Yes. Hope that info helps. Good luck.

Duh! Why didn't I think of this?! I need to switch my stores CDMA demo phones but the supply of new GSM phones is so limited right now, we can't pull any out from retail inventory, so I'd gladly trade for your used F3!

If you don't take up telegraph on his offer to trade his lg motion, I'll offer to trade an LG Esteem in like-new condition for your Optimus F3. PM me if you're interested.

Upvote 0
According to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which is what outlawed it in the first place, the penalty is a fine between $200-$2500 fine per phone and up to 1 year in jail.

I am unable to post the link. Search in google for "cnet house-committee-approves-bill-to-end-ban-on-unlocking-phones".

It says "The bill would restore an exemption in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that lets consumers unlock their phones without permission from their wireless carrier"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones