• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please with my new Android!

moggie

Mar 4, 2020
Hello - I am used to Windows but have just bought a new Huawei Android tablet with 4G. Have set it up successfully I think but there are just two problems.

1. On my old Windows tablet when I am at home it works from my broadband and when away from home it automatically changes to use the EE sim card in the tablet. This is because on the Windows tablet there was an option to tick for this action. Cannot find this option on my mew Android so will it automatically change to EE when I leave home or will I have to, each time, switch off the wifi blue button to force it to do this?

2. The new tablet also has an SD card slot and I have put a 16gb card in this. The card shows as active as I looked in my tablet manger and it showed there. Now..............I transferred two small video files from my laptop and they now show under Video File (not SD card) which is fine. I then transferred more files and when right clicking from laptop it showed Huawei T3/SD and THEY went to the card instead of tablet's storage without an option.
Then I wanted to transfer a couple of movies hoping to send them to the SD card and there was no option and they went to the tablet's storage and took up too much space!

Please - what am I doing wrong. I am elderly and quite savvy with computers but new to Android.

Thanks

moggie

1. Your Android tablet should just automatically switch to its cellular connectivity whenever it loses a connection to WiFi but keep in mind when you leave WiFi enabled your tablet will be continuously scanning for any viable WiFi networks as you travel about. That's not a big drain on the battery but it isn't a trivial waste of power either. Also, if you have your tablet set to automatically connect to any open WiFi networks it detects, that can be a serious security matter (emphasize the 'if' -- it's not an issue to worry about otherwise). So give some thought into just disabling WiFi when you're out in public.
But if you do prefer to have both WiFi and cellular enabled all the time, you might want to enable 'Developers Options' (see instructions below) and enable a 'Cellular data always active' option.
https://www.howtogeek.com/129728/ho...menu-and-enable-usb-debugging-on-android-4.2/

2. I don't know if Huawei includes a default file manager app. Looking online I've seen references to a 'Huawei File Manager' app, is that what you're using?
There's also a very rudimentary file management function that's a part of Android in the Settings >> Storage >> internal storage >> Explore menu but it's bare bones in functionality and user interface. If there is no default Huawei file manager on your tablet, take a look at installing this 'Explorer' app. It's free with no ads and has a really good feature set:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer
Anyway, get familiar with using a file manager app on your tablet to do your file and folder management tasks. Keep in mind when you're using the file manager utility on a laptop, it's by design only fully compatible with the operating system running on your laptop. Whenever you're using it to do things on your tablet however, its going to be encountering a device over a remote connection that's running a different operating system using a very different file system -- no matter if it's Windows Explorer on a Win PC or Finder on a Mac all the interactions are going to be with non-native platform, Android. Use an Android file manager app on your Android device to do your file and folder management, use the file manager on your laptop to just transfer files.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones