• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help restoring an unrooted Rezound to stock - PLEASE!

Apologies in advance for a post that I know has been addressed. Unfortunately, despite doing a lot of reading, I’m still confused at what I need to do.

My problem. I have an HTC Rezound. It had never been rooted. Some time ago, it suddenly stopped working as the OS got corrupted. Instead of sending it back to HTC and paying a handful of cash to have them reload the OS, I found the leaked Global software on Android Polices website (4.03.605.2) and loaded that. The phone works fine but it won’t take any updates. I’d like to return it to stock. My understanding is that the best way to do that is to load 3.14.605.12 on it, which I’ve found, and let it take updates OTA. This is where the confusion comes in. I’m not sure what the best utility is to use to do this and what I need to set up. Obviously there’s a lot of information out there and some of it is dated. It can also get a bit overwhelming. I tried using a utility I believe was Vigor but in the end it generated errors indicating that the image file was either missing or invalid.

Currently my phone is Locked, S-ON, and HBoot 2.27.
Not sure if I need to make it S-OFF to take the update or not.
Again, all I want to do is return it to stock.
Thanks in advance for your patience and help.
Without being S-OFF, you cannot downgrade to 3.14.605.12, and you cannot upgrade to 4.5.605.14... but 4.3.605.2 is a "stock" ROM from HTC, and the benefits of upgrading to 4.5.605.14 are very minor.

So, to get to the nitty gritty, you have to unlock and root, then S-OFF to change anything... plan and simple. It is not difficult on the Rezound, HTCDev.com will allow you to unlock the bootloader, then just BOOT TWRP (don't flash it!) and flash the latest SuperSU zip file. This will put you in an unlocked and rooted state.

After that, there are step by step tutorials on XDA to S-OFF and then another one to downgrade and fully upgrade to the current firmware. It takes a little time the first time, give yourself several hours for the entire process.

Back
Top Bottom