• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Root the Droid!

A few more potential uses for rooting:

• creating viruses
  • hacking secured information like passwords and personal info
  • hijacking other people's phone service
  • overdriving the hardware, making potentially dangerous devices
  • making it worthwhile to steal droids (high black market value)
  • etc
It sure would be nice to see some of these smart people use their time and energy on more worthwhile pursuits.

HAHA, FUD is so much fun isn't it

People have been 'cooking' roms for winmo phone for 8+ years and none of the above have ever happened... My old 6700 ran better cooked that it ever did with it has verizon's stock image on it.
Now Iphone morons that jailbreak and leave default password on the root account with ssh enabled, Thats a different story...

Upvote 0

• creating viruses
  • etc
It sure would be nice to see some of these smart people use their time and energy on more worthwhile pursuits.

Um, be quiet?

a) No one creates viruses ON the droid, and doing so wouldn't require root access. rooting your phone just means you're susceptible to getting viruses since you have the ability to use su to make deeper changes.

b) Every hack tool one could use is already ON the droid if you have a terminal app and a USB cable.

c) I find it implausible that someone would be able to point at a droid and say "oooo! lookz! A DROID! I'm going to steal it and sell it on the BLACK MARKET" when you can go get one at frickin' verizon.

If you don't want to root it, don't root it. Let us do what we wanna do.

Upvote 0
HAHA, FUD is so much fun isn't it

People have been 'cooking' roms for winmo phone for 8+ years and none of the above have ever happened... My old 6700 ran better cooked that it ever did with it has verizon's stock image on it.
Now Iphone morons that jailbreak and leave default password on the root account with ssh enabled, Thats a different story...

'alpine', baby. Lifesaver :p

Upvote 0

• creating viruses
  • etc
Well gasoline can be used for terrorism too... yet we still drive cars, board airplanes, and such... such a crazy world we live in.

Upvote 0
Um, be quiet?

a) No one creates viruses ON the droid, and doing so wouldn't require root access. rooting your phone just means you're susceptible to getting viruses since you have the ability to use su to make deeper changes.

b) Every hack tool one could use is already ON the droid if you have a terminal app and a USB cable.

c) I find it implausible that someone would be able to point at a droid and say "oooo! lookz! A DROID! I'm going to steal it and sell it on the BLACK MARKET" when you can go get one at frickin' verizon.

If you don't want to root it, don't root it. Let us do what we wanna do.
Well some of the posts above are ignorant to the OS and gaining root.

If gaining root, is truly gaining the pwd for the "root" user or whatever it's called, it will happen.

Let's just be thankful that we don't have ssh enabled for a rick roll, like on iphone. :) :)

Again, I'm still investigating a lot, and I've been around linux systems since the 80's, and do this isht for a living, as in compiling kernels/programs.

IDE is more java based, but a native level c program with all the bells and whistles is what we need more than rooting :)

Upvote 0
Well some of the posts above are ignorant to the OS and gaining root.

If gaining root, is truly gaining the pwd for the "root" user or whatever it's called, it will happen.

Let's just be thankful that we don't have ssh enabled for a rick roll, like on iphone. :) :)

Again, I'm still investigating a lot, and I've been around linux systems since the 80's, and do this isht for a living, as in compiling kernels/programs.

IDE is more java based, but a native level c program with all the bells and whistles is what we need more than rooting :)
Would the root password on one phone be the same across all Droid phones?

Upvote 0
Would the root password on one phone be the same across all Droid phones?

Probably not or it would be in the public now :)

Maybe it's the tools to get shell access?

Again, I'm an android newbie, and have only poked around the file system a bit so far. I'm a linux/bsd/solaris user/compiler for probably too many years, 20+ come to mind now, lol. No, I'm not that old, lol.

I'm hoping to take a crack at it one of these days, but free time is my limiting factor right now.

Upvote 0
I'd definitely be on board here if there was a bunch of Verizon junkware that I wanted to get rid of. But this thing's pretty unencumbered, for the most part.
Well some people are convinced Google and/or Motorola won't be able to get their act together to fix the momentary stuttering of the side swipes in the Home screen and other stuff, so they want to be able to use the Sense UI instead or a third-party tweaked version of Android 2.0.

Upvote 0
Just FYI for people that haven't come across it. I'd post the link but feeling lazy at the moment.

There are some people speculating that rooting, however great it is, could potentially brick your phone by having "silent updates" (camera anyone??) installed. If Verizon can secretly update our firmware without us knowing, I don't have a doubt that they will try to update the phone to make it unrootable. If, then, your phone is rooted and a patch it sent to all phones, that could create a big mess.

Now if devs can create a way to stop the silent updates, then I'm in! And I have no doubt that they can, in fact, create this feature. It's all a matter of time.

I should also note once again that these are all speculations. Nothing certain.

Upvote 0
Well some people are convinced Google and/or Motorola won't be able to get their act together to fix the momentary stuttering of the side swipes in the Home screen and other stuff, so they want to be able to use the Sense UI instead or a third-party tweaked version of Android 2.0.

I never noticed that the side swipe stutters until you mentioned it. Thanks.

We're talking about the not-completely-smooth transition on the homescreen, right? I get the same thing in apps, though it's usually less or more pronounced.

Upvote 0
Just FYI for people that haven't come across it. I'd post the link but feeling lazy at the moment.

There are some people speculating that rooting, however great it is, could potentially brick your phone by having "silent updates" (camera anyone??) installed. If Verizon can secretly update our firmware without us knowing, I don't have a doubt that they will try to update the phone to make it unrootable. If, then, your phone is rooted and a patch it sent to all phones, that could create a big mess.

Now if devs can create a way to stop the silent updates, then I'm in! And I have no doubt that they can, in fact, create this feature. It's all a matter of time.

I should also note once again that these are all speculations. Nothing certain.
Most roots... uh... "hacks" have always disabled silent updates just in case of such a possibility. Once you "hack" any of your electronic devices there will always be a chance for bricking which is why whether the device is a Nintendo Wii, an iPhone, or an Android device, automatic updates get disabled in the process--or if not automatically disabled, most guides will recommend disabling automatic updates for this very reason.

I never noticed that the side swipe stutters until you mentioned it. Thanks.

We're talking about the not-completely-smooth transition on the homescreen, right? I get the same thing in apps, though it's usually less or more pronounced.
Yep, that's what everyone is talking about. I hope it doesn't start to bother you. My bad, I thought everyone could tell right off the bat.

Upvote 0

just to clear it up, there was no 'silent update' for the camera- it was a bug in the camera's timestamp. (and, for security reasons, i dont think we'll ever get 'silent' updates!) but im confident precautions will be taken regardless.

supposedly donations are more than 1/3 of the way there... in less than 12 hours! making progress.

Upvote 0
Yes. I assume by rooting, you mean the ability to save and run apps off the memory cards...google already said they were working on a way to add the feature natively.

umm, where? link?

not being rude but i dont think this (being rooting a device natively) is even slightly possible... for many many reasons.

(oh, and by rooting you gain more than simply the potential to utilize apps2sd!)

Upvote 0
Yes. I assume by rooting, you mean the ability to save and run apps off the memory cards...google already said they were working on a way to add the feature natively.
Basically when you "root" your phone (a Linux term) you... get access to the entire phone. Think of it like the Administrator account on Windows, but one step higher which allows you to modify the entire thing.

Installing apps to SD cards is just one of the features that can be enabled by rooting your phone. It lets anyone or any team do what Motorola and Google can do, release fixes, enable/disable features, flash hardware, etc.

But yes, Google is getting a team together to work on the whole installing apps to SD cards and they have a list of "must do" tasks before releasing it out to the public whereas third-party developers may just release it "as is."

Upvote 0
Basically when you "root" your phone (a Linux term) you... get access to the entire phone. Think of it like the Administrator account on Windows, but one step higher which allows you to modify the entire thing.

Installing apps to SD cards is just one of the features that can be enabled by rooting your phone. It lets anyone or any team do what Motorola and Google can do, release fixes, enable/disable features, flash hardware, etc.

But yes, Google is getting a team together to work on the whole installing apps to SD cards and they have a list of "must do" tasks before releasing it out to the public whereas third-party developers may just release it "as is."

Gotcha. Still new to android, everytime I read a review or article people mentioned the RAM/ROM limit as not being an issue because you could root the phone and put apps on the SD cards. Then I saw the article that said google was working on adding that to the OS. Thought that meant they were adding 'rooting' as a whole, thanks for the enlightenment. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones