• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help rooting brand new S5 (SM-G900V)

wer8

Lurker
Hi,

I've never rooted a phone before but I figured since I just got a brand new phone, I might as well go ahead and do it before I start putting data on it. I've been reading for hours on rooting and am not getting anywhere because this new phone came with G900VVRU2DPF4, android 6.0.1.

Can anyone tell me how to go about rooting the phone? I found one guide talking about using ODIN to flash an already rooted version of 6.0.1 and it worked on this phone but ODIN was expecting a .md5 or .tar I believe and the prerooted version came as a .zip with the image contents

Welcome to our AndroidForums, @wer8 :).

I've moved your thread over here to the SG S5 root area for you--the folks in here can guide you as to the proper steps for rooting your device.

Cheers and best of luck!

:)

Because Verizon, unlike Samsung, have chosen to try and prevent rooting of their minority carrier variant of the Galaxy S5, G900V, by locking down the bootloader, (see #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide), the last firmware that could be rooted, eventually, was Android 5.0.1. See, NEW Verizon S5 Root for latest firmwares OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1. However, upgrading to Android 6.0.1 with the new Verizon mega locked down bootloader screwed that, as Verizon intended. I was given to understand that downgrading back to Android 5.0.1 to root was not possible, however, this post, here, seems to say that it is possible to downgrade to root and depending on your phone's eMMC type, it may be possible to root on Android 6.0.1. I cannot vouch for this though as I am in the U.K. and therefore do not have to put up with this kind of totalitarian carrier control and mean spiritedness.

Last edited:
Because Verizon, unlike Samsung, have chosen to try and prevent rooting of their minority carrier variant of the Galaxy S5, G900V, by locking down the bootloader, (see #1.6 of 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide), the last firmware that could be rooted, eventually, was Android 5.0.1. See, NEW Verizon S5 Root for latest firmwares OE1, OG5, OK3, PB1. However, upgrading to Android 6.0.1 with the new Verizon mega locked down bootloader screwed that, as Verizon intended. I was given to understand that downgrading back to Android 5.0.1 to root was not possible, however, this post, here, seems to say that it is possible to downgrade to root and depending on your phone's eMMC type, it may be possible to root on Android 6.0.1. I cannot vouch for this though as I am in the U.K. and therefore do not have to put up with this kind of totalitarian carrier control and mean spiritedness.

Ok.... so mine is the eMMC that starts with 11xxxx (Toshiba) which I've read isn't unlocked yet, so there's basically no way to root it right now right?

Ok, I think I will try downgrading. If I want to restore factory default at a later time, is that easy?

Back
Top Bottom