• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help updating rooted 2.1 Droid to 2.2

Welcome to Android Forums.

You left your question in a VERY old thread for a phone that I suspect you don't have.

What phone do you have (e.g., Droid Razr Maxx) and who is your carrier (e.g., Verizon).

Let me know and I'll try to line you up with some assistance.

... Thom

I have a rooted motorola droid 1 and no service and I downloaded an update.zipfrom here and when I. Try to update it throws an error about facebook apk ,,after I rooted my droid I deleted facebook out of my filesystem and some other unused apps do you think that's why it doesn't let me update??

Upvote 0
You should ask this in the "All Things Root" subforum of this forum. Everything associated with root-ing is discussed there.

My GUESS is that since you are root-ed and could delete apps at will that you deleted an app that you shouldn't.

The upgrades are gigantic patch files and they apply patches to the system and to apps that were distributed with the system. If you delete an app that has an update in the update you are applying then the update will fail.

... Thom

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
Moved from the Motorola Droid general section to the All Things Root Section.

I think the easiest thing for you to do is to go ahead and flash a custom 2.2.x ROM on your phone, that way it will stay rooted and you won't have to worry about any errors. Or just flash a custom 2.1 ROM and go forward. Actually there are many options for you to go forward, much easier than someone sending you a /system/app dump.

But first, do you have a custom recovery on your phone? And if so, which one? Or if not. . . . Simply reply and I will get a notification.

I will also send you a PM about where your question has been moved. . . .

Upvote 0
A custom recovery is not an app. It's like a slimmed down OS. All android phones have a recovery system. The stock recovery does not have the ability to make a nandroid backup, nor will you be able to use it to flash anything but a perfectly stock update on a perfectly stock system; that is why your update is failing. On your phone, you can manually boot into the recovery system by powering the phone off, then slide out the keyboard, then press and hold the "x" key while powering the phone back on. But that is just some info about the recovery system.

If your phone still boots up normally, I think the easiest way to install a custom recovery and be ready to flash custom ROM's would be to install ROM Manager (free) from the market/play store. After you've installed it and open it for the first time, the top oiption in the menu is to flash ClockWorkMod Recovery. Select that option. When it asks for Superuser permissions, make sure the 'always' box is checked, then hit OK and the app should download CWMRecovery, flash it and if all goes well, you will have a custom recovery; however on a stock rooted system, the custom recovery doesn't always "stick".

I think the ultimate thing for you to do is to go to the "Motorola A855 Guides" link in my signature because I have a plethora of info there that will further help you to get some basic understanding.

good luck

Upvote 0
That's a good question. It all depends on what you want. Do you want a stockish rom or one with customizations? And not all roms run good on all phones. You have a lot of research to do. You can start here:

Droid - ROMs - Android Forums

or here:

Custom Roms

I liked Cyanogenmod roms myself.

happy hunting and good luck, I'll still watch this thread if you have more questions.

Upvote 0
Just so you know when I was installing the custum recovery via terminal,I think it was maybe the third command threw an error about copying. I forget what ,maybe the flash image into system/xbin? So I copyed it using the root explorer then I just skipped that command. On your site it says you have to put busy box in front of thecommand in terminal if you don't have busybox installed natively?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones