• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with Wifi connection setting.

My router is located downstairs, in my house. I have two Wifi extenders, one upstairs and one in my shop. Is there a way to set my Turbo, so that it will automatically connect to the strongest signal? For example, if I go upstairs, my wifi gets slow and I have to manually disconnect my phone from the router and manually connect to the extender.

I don't have extenders. I do have two SSIDs in my router. One has a stronger signal strength than the other when I am in the next room.

I have the WiFi connections in my phone set to strongest signal.

The following Tasker task could be started when the phone is loaded. It checks every minute and if the signal strength is lower then the value specified it turns off WiFi and then turns it on again. This results in it selecting the stronger signal.

AAAA
A1: Variable Set [ Name:%temp To:%WIFII Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A2: Variable Split [ Name:%temp Splitter: Delete Base:Off ]
A3: [X] Flash [ Text:%temp10 %temp11 Long:On ]
A4: If [ %temp11 < 8 ]
A5: WiFi [ Set:Off ]
A6: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:8 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A7: WiFi [ Set:On ]
A8: End If
A9: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:1 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A10: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 Label: ]

If statement A3 is not commented out it will display the current signal strength every minute.

... Thom

My router is located downstairs, in my house. I have two Wifi extenders, one upstairs and one in my shop. Is there a way to set my Turbo, so that it will automatically connect to the strongest signal? For example, if I go upstairs, my wifi gets slow and I have to manually disconnect my phone from the router and manually connect to the extender.

It sounds like you have your repeaters set up as remote access points, not repeaters. Try going into your router's Setup menu and give each repeater an assigned IP address. All three (router and both repeaters) should have the same SSID and same channel (if the router is set to auto assign channels, give it a fixed one - 1, 6, or 11). When your Turbo is switching from your router's coverage to one of the repeaters' coverage it should switch automatically, at most just a blip if you're in the middle of doing something.

I'm not sure how devices decide to switch, but I know that they tend to want to hold a signal as long as possible before they switch to another AP. The reason is that if they switched to the strongest signal, if you are in a location where the signal is almost equally strong, there will be moments when one signal is stronger, then the other, within milliseconds, due to conditions. You definitely will not be happy if your phone is constantly switching between two access points (or three, in your case; I am sure that there is at least one location where all three have an equal signal most of the time), as the switch takes time and streaming, downloads, etc., would be constantly interrupted as the phone switches from one to AP to the other to the other to the other, etc., and battery life would suffer as well.

Unfortunately, there is little that you can do with most phones; they don't have many settings to change how aggressively and at what signal difference the phone should switch to the other access point/ extender / router, etc. I think the best thing you can do if you recognize that the signal is not what it could be is to toggle WiFi off and then on (or airplane mode on and then off) to let the phone re-connect to the strongest signal it finds.

You definitely will not be happy if your phone is constantly switching between two access points (or three, in your case;.

If you've set up your router and its satellites improperly than yes, you've created an inconsistent, sporadic network. On the other hand, set things up correctly and you can increase your wireless coverage significantly and create changeovers that are relatively seamless.

I didn't do any setup on the router. It is a router/ modem, from our cable/internet provider. We have only had it a couple weeks. I'm not sure if I can get into the settings for it, they told me that I couldn't change the name or password on it. I will call them and find out.

Thom, 99℅ of your reply went way over my head.

Your modem/router box is typically identified in your home network as its 'gateway'. To find your gateway IP address read through the section that applies to whichever operating system is on your computer:
http://www.howtogeek.com/233952/how...address-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-tablet/
Once you have your gateway IP, type that into your web browser and that should take you to your modem/router settings page. You'll also need a user name and password to log in, which is often shown on a label on the side or back of your modem/router box itself. (It might also list the gateway IP too, so you can skip the above link)
Once you're in the settings page you'll get a better idea on what you can and can't actually change. I'd be surprised if they block you from changing the SSID and password, that's pretty fundamental and for a lot of people a necessary function. If it is blocked, call your carrier and tell them to send one of their installers to your home ASAP (and at their expense). If you can't make your own home network usable in your own home than unless it's in your documented contract that you will be paying them a monthly fee for a faulty service, they have to make it right.

Thom, 99℅ of your reply went way over my head.

To use it you have to install Tasker on your device and then enter the information provided.

What I provided was an automation (and very similar to) what doogald suggested. In essence ... once a minute check the signal strength and if it is too low turn off the WiFi wait a little and turn it back on. The appropriate signal strength level would need to be set by you after a little testing to see what it is in your case.

Tasker does not support toggling Airplane mode in Android 4.2+ unless you are root-ed.

... Thom

Back
Top Bottom