• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Here we go with another vacuum cleaner question

Rgarner

Android Expert
I have a bagless vac. It's pretty average, I guess. The last time I tried to use it I realized it wasn't picking up much. I tried to make sure the canister, that seethrough part in front, was on tight, but it might be loose. Does that have anything to do with it? If it does, how do I fix it? If that isn't it, how do I find out what else and fix that? Also, how do I get a replacement clean water tank for a Bissell readyclean powerbrush? The old one broke when it was finally pried loose and went flying. Is there a way to make it fit looser but still tight enough?

I have no clue about your Bissell. Your bagless vacuum might be missing a seal. Mine has two rubber seals. One is behind the see through tank where the motor suction enters the tank and the other as the tank marries to the hose running to the lower lower vacuum roller platform or an attachment. If either of those two sealing points aren't well made it will definitely depreciate efficiency of the machine. There will also be washable or cleanable filters inside the tank that need to be cleaned regularly for the vacuum to operate at it's best.

How do I take care of the seal problem, if that's what it is? I was planning on a vacuuming session tomorrow, but I guess I can't get things fixed fast enough. Are these items available locally instead of by mail?

First make sure that a seal is the problem. My tank simply sits against the seals when in place. It's not like they friction together. With the tank seeming to be loose, the seals warranted an inspection. Being loose could also be caused by the release latch being worn, I suppose. I have no idea if any parts of your vacuum can be found locally to you. The sad fact is, like most everything made in fairly recent times, they anticipate a replacement vs a repair so the support systems are limited.

I'm sorry about that. AF 2.0 is still too sucky for me. It said that the file's too big to upload, a problem that never ends. I just wanted to show how the parts more or less fit together, or don't. I used it this afternoon and it still seemed to be picking up ok, though not with that attached hose. When I went to empty it, though, there was almost nothing. Where could that crud have gone?

You might want to check the hose to see if it is stopped up or filled with debris. Lay the sweeper down and make sure it's clean. There will be a port there that is under vacuum when the sweeper is running (sucking up the debris) That port and the path it takes to the tank should be cleared of any clogs.

I'm guessing the rubber like seals are made to replace if you can find them. It's not like they are under wear or tear so unless they are missing you are likely okay.

It might seem a little old fashioned to everyone else but I bought a couple of really old secondhand Kirby vacuums and never had any issues with vacuuming ever again. the whole 'modern' stuff is just a bunch of cost-cutting crap. At work, they buy these cheap SHARK vacs that die in a year or two (just quit turning on)

Best yet you can still buy parts for the oldest Kirbys as they are still made. Made in USA as well. Check out your vendor malls sometime--you might be surprised at what you can find--the one I love going to is like revisiting Kmart in the '70s.

I looked and did not find any rubber around the openings. I assume you mean a gasket or something that way. If it's missing, how do I correct that? I can't really buy a sheet of rubber and cut it to size. Also, I got a replacement clean water tank for the Bissell Readyclean Powerbrush but I don't believe it's working. I ended up just pouring the liquid on the floor and using the machine to pick it up, with mixed results.

If it's like most if not all modern vacuums, they don't sell parts (not even the brush belts) because they don't expect anyone to repair what they make. It's all about toss and buy new whenever they break.

I'm going to try this again. I don't know what happened to the one I just did, or thought I did. Isn't it interesting that I could apparently post a non edited version that way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316-175651.png
    Screenshot_20230316-175651.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
Let's try some more. I want to show where the removable dust catcher contacts the main body. Is there supposed to be some rubber there?

I know I managed that one pic and as far as I know I hadn't even modified it. I tried with another photo and did the same thing, but it was still "too big". It just seems arbitrary to me.

Editing your pics can be fun... don't stress over it. After all, if you mess one up you can easily take another. Take a few pics and play with them. Resizing is likely the best way to reduce a file size. It will be an edit option somewhere those edit tools.

As for the seals.... If either you are your buddy smokes or have something that smokes, blow some smoke around the fittings of that vacuum and see if the smoke is quickly sucked in. That would indicate a less than stellar seal.

One of my wife's uncles purchased a Kirby for her aunt back in the late 60s she used it for over 30 years.
We went through five or six vacuums in a year. We were buying hoovers, Bissell, black and Decker, dirt devil spending $100-$225 . Finally we got our carpets professionally cleaned one day and the cleaner told us that if you want a good quality vacuum you have to go with Kirby, miele or Electrolux , maybe Dyson. He said expect anywhere from $500-$1000 for a good quality vacuum. I had no clue that vacuums could be so expensive.
About a week later we were grocery shopping and stop in at vacuum store. They had a Miele vacuum for $700. Because it was a floor model we got it for $650 and two years of service. We bought it in 2014 and it's still going strong.
A few years ago my wife's aunt had to be moved into an assisted living home, we think her Kirby was donated or Even thrown out when her house was being down size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607_174751_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_174751_Photos.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 29
Within the first decade of marriage we bought a self propelled upright Hoover. It was a great vacuum. Around a decade after my purchase, I happed upon the exact same vacuum at a garage sale. It was missing the beater brush belt and the self propelling belt but I bought it for $5 and tossed it in the shed for parts. Between the two, I was able to keep one running until we decided to pull up all of our wall to wall carpeting and refinish the original hardwood flooring. The forty plus old vacuums were quality.

I inherited a Kirby from my in-laws a decade or so ago. It was an older vacuum but it was in great shape. I gave it to my cousin and I think it's still in use to this day. Old vacuums were well designed and built and weren't intended to be used a year or so and then replaced like many of the new ones.

I got my wife a Miele C3 vacuum and the Eufy X8 RoboVac (Robby). They both do quite a job!

Kirby are super cheap secondhand. Even a more modern one. I swear soon as they show up at vendor malls or Goodwills they're selling for $49! Sometimes you get lucky and the box of attachments is duct taped to the vacuum.

Electrolux still exists?! I haven't seen them since the rather high-tech model we once had (from 1984 with tons of indicator lights) got taken apart by myself when I was little and a bit too curious.

Back
Top Bottom