• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hidden (I hope) night mode for Moto G Play camera

If you are talking about using a flash while taking a photo I grabbed this from the net:

Use a flash

To set the flash mode (off, always on, or auto), touch
flash.png
on the viewfinder.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Actually, I mean more of night vision. Taking a picture of something astronomical, fireworks, or holiday lights would probably not work very well. According to what I read about the Play, there should be a night mode setting, but I sure can't find it. The object I was looking at I could see just fine but the camera showed nothing.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a similar Moto (Moto G Stylus 2021) and have found that the advertising and the feature list paperwork are sometimes rather "creative" and careless with the features it claims for the camera.

Example: Lenovo's Advertising for Moto G Stylus' first model bragged to no end about the 117-Degree Ultra Wide Angle Lens. The ads even have sample photos. I was disappointed to learn (from Lenovo Technical Support) that Wide Angle Lens is "only for videos". Then, when I could not find it in videos, I learned (from Support again) that they meant "If you take a video and rotate the camera left to right, you have wide angle." Then you are supposed to take a screen shot from the video to be your photo. Now that's creative advertising!

Perhaps they stretched the truth and Night Vision doesn't exist on yours. (Hopefully I'm wrong.) Or, maybe they can send you an update with Night Vision.

You can try asking Lenovo. The best way to reach them is via the forum: English Community-Lenovo Community (I think that's the correct one for your phone. If not, try: forums.lenovo.com and pick "Phones", then "Moto G", then scroll to your model.

I hope this is helpful and you get the feature working.

Please Enjoy This Day!
Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should I just get a night vision apk? Would it even work if this 2021 doesn't have the technology? Do we have to call the $6,000,000 man?
On my Moto G Stylus, there's no special hardware. The Night Vision Mode holds the "shutter" open longer. Maybe the aperture gets wider, too.
There has to be at least a little light and you have to hold the camera very steady for quite a while for a photo in very low light. It does take good photos in very low light- assuming I hold the camera very still or prop my arm on something.

To Find Night Vision Mode:
On the Moto G Stylus that I have, it's found by opening the Camera app, then tapping the square that is made of 9 dots. It's under Photo Modes and has a icon that looks like a crescent moon.

Manual Mode:
Maybe, if your camera has a Manual Mode, you can pick settings to accomplish a night photo.

On the Moto G Stylus that I have, Manual Mode is found by opening the camera and looking at the icons in the top row when in Photo Mode. It is the one that looks like a file folder and has an "A" in it. Tap it & choose "Manual" from the drop-down.

The "A" turns in to an "M". Than you can set stuff from the list that appears on the right side.

I Hope This Is Helpful!

Please Enjoy Today,
Paul

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones