• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Home Launchers

itzpacmann

So, I was wondering what home launcher is best for battery saving. Which one would use les resources while its running. Some ppl say Go Launcher is good opposed to the stock launcher, but wouldn' t you think it was use more since it's doing all the diff effects and other stuff that the stock launcher doesn't do? Which launcher do you think uses less? Thanks

I would recommend zeam launcher. Its a good launcher that uses very little ram and does the job.

I second Zeam. Even with all the BS I had on it (TONS of widgets and stuff) It STILL only took about 9-11 Mb of RAM on my old LG Optimus M. And it was ALWAYS butter smooth. It might lack some of the more "awesome" features of ADW or GoLauncher (like themes or fancy animations) but it had EVERYTHING that mattered. And TRUST me, once a rom with Theme chooser comes out for the Connect, Im ditching GoLauncher in a HOT minute. : )

Im gunna give this zeam launcher a try. You think it would your less resources than the stock launcher tho, since it is a stock launcher?

Im gunna give this zeam launcher a try. You think it would your less resources than the stock launcher tho, since it is a stock launcher?

Don't get Zeam Launcher , It is proven to corrupt some internal files and can bite you back in a few months sometimes!

The stock launcher is LG's overweight launcher which can lag when you have games like dead space in the background , Go to your home screen , Click the Menu button , Go to setting , Go to (Applications) Then go to the full list (Including all the other stuff that you didn't know) Then go to LG and click , and click "Clear Defaults" Then go to home , and you get a little box saying choose one , so choose the android one (NOT THE LG ONE) the android one is the Gingerbread 2.3 default from Google Android , and it is the fastest since it is optimized for the phone in the hardware!

Don't get Zeam Launcher , It is proven to corrupt some internal files and can bite you back in a few months sometimes!

The stock launcher is LG's overweight launcher which can lag when you have games like dead space in the background , Go to your home screen , Click the Menu button , Go to setting , Go to (Applications) Then go to the full list (Including all the other stuff that you didn't know) Then go to LG and click , and click "Clear Defaults" Then go to home , and you get a little box saying choose one , so choose the android one (NOT THE LG ONE) the android one is the Gingerbread 2.3 default from Google Android , and it is the fastest since it is optimized for the phone in the hardware!

Do you mean all applications? All that comes up after clearing defaults and such is LG home and the other launcher I use Nemus.

Would using a minimalist launcher like zeam launcher help battery or performance of this phone? Is it smaller than the stock launcher? Should i really be worried about corrupt files down the road?

Would using a minimalist launcher like zeam launcher help battery or performance of this phone? Is it smaller than the stock launcher? Should i really be worried about corrupt files down the road?

I always used zeam launcher on my ascend and it ran like butter. For battery i dont know but when i checked thw running services tab it uses little ram.
Its a lot smaller than the stock rom. Corrupt files? Explain. Zeam launcher is in the play store.

how can u check the launchers size? Can I delete the LG launcher now that i have a new one?
I wouldn't recommend it. Because zeam launcher is going to be a user app not a system app like the stock launcher. The play store tells you the size of the launcher. Its on the same bar as the ratings and how much it has been downloaded.

Never had an issue with Zeam launcher. The only time I did was because of my fault not the program.

1. Battery, yes... performance?I doubt it tbh only because launchers run very little ram when not in use in general unless you use an option to lock it into memory (which we have plenty of).

2. Yes, by about half.

3. Never heard of this issue.... ever.

how can u check the launchers size? Can I delete the LG launcher now that i have a new one?

If you are rooted open /system/app with root explorer and add the launcher apk and odex to find total size

Again, if rooted go to /data/app and find zeam.
Long press it and select "move"
Press the back soft key until you can get to /system/app and mount as r/w
Move zeam there and reboot.

If zeam works after reboot then go ahead and delete lg home.

Now zeam will survive a factory reset. ;) works for most apps.

Listen me out
1. The default LG launcher is NOT the Android Launcher with a skin , It is a separate launcher LG made for those phones! It is what all phone makers do!

2. The corrupt files is POSSIBLE but doesn't happen to everyone , Possibly 1/200 people would get it from Zeam! (I saw a post on the internet with over 5000 people complaining it bricked their phone and they wan't a refund by MetroPCS) (Not all on the LG Connect , it can brick other androids)

3.The LG launcher will run in the background if you don't freeze it (needs root) if you do not want to root , Stay with LG since a another launcher will use Ram and 2 launchers using ram will make it slow! If you root , delete the LG and put Zeam if you want . I recommend rooting but I don't like doing it myself since I am not the best rooter and my computer is kind of weird with programs (Windows 8 Consumer Preview)

4. Launcher size in Manage Apps or on the Android market

5. It is smaller so it uses less Ram the stock but you need to freeze/delete stock if you have root then use your desired launcher to run fast!

6.It will only increase battery life if , You don't put tons of icons on your home screen and widgets (Widgets update usually and waste battery and run in your Ram!) So I recommend choosing one screen and fill it with what you want , and Delete the rest (Or be a widget/Ram hog!) (I personally only use 3 screens instead of 7)

7. Zeam is user made so put it on internal memory , since it will load with the phone on start up , if on SD card , you must wait until it scans your SD card and gets it fully ready then it launches it so your stuck with a black screen until its done when you turn it on (if its on SD card , so put on internal better :D)

8. This is your choice , Not mine , so do what you want , but remember , You might be one of the angry dudes that gets the phone bricked , or waste battery , or whatever , I just want to help and tell the truth around here :D

Hmmm, first to find the lg launcher in applications it's not under LG, it's under Home. When I clicked that I couldn't clear defaults as it says no defaults have been set. Also, I have not froze the stock launcher & I use Launcher Pro, I just checked my running programs & the stock launcher isn't listed.

Hmmm, first to find the lg launcher in applications it's not under LG, it's under Home. When I clicked that I couldn't clear defaults as it says no defaults have been set. Also, I have not froze the stock launcher & I use Launcher Pro, I just checked my running programs & the stock launcher isn't listed.

Does your task manager/whatever you use , show everything running , even those scripts? Since I find it hard to believe when I could find it running on my friend's androids and my old Samsung Admire , and previous phones I've had (I don't list EVERYTHING on my profile)

I use holo launcher. With it, modified bar and modified settings menu my phone is as close to ics as its going to get until (if) we get an ics update. The phone doesn't look a bit like gingerbread anymore lol.

I had issues changing launchers, after reboots my Widgets and settings kept getting screwy. So I tried putting holo in the systems folder and deleted the stock launcher. Phone soft bricked, doh!!

After getting everything back up and running I tried something different. I moved Holo to the systems folder, deleted the stock launcher, and renamed holo to the stock launchers name, now it works perfect :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom