• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Honda Civic + Evo Shift + Handsfreelink Bluetooth

Don't suppose anyone has found a fix for the above, but I'll add my two cents.

Have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with OS 4.0.4. Worked great in my 2000 Honda Civic with a Sony BT capable single-disc CD deck I had installed when the stock deck volume control started flaking out and I wanted something better. It worked like a champ with EVERY phone I tried, and was a great unit.

But I just traded in the 2000 Civic for a 2012 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L without the Nav system. I can pair the phone, but then CONTINUOUSLY get the "please click ok to pair your phonebook" with the HansFreeLink of the Honda BT. No matter how many times and how many ways I attempt to pair the Phonebook, it doesn't take. :p

The bigger issue is much like those here report. The "disconnect / reconnect" issue is a pain and annoying. It actually seems to go away when I have the phone connected to power using a micro-USB cable and a cigarette lighter adapter. Today, I installed the official Galaxy Nexus dock for my Unlocked GSM phone in the CR-V. I put it low on the windshield, so it is positioned basically directly above the LCD for the radio, etc. Despite getting power from the dock, the connected / unconnected issue was worse than EVER. And I haven't found any sort of work around, etc.

Now, I had checked the "don't ask me again" box for the Phonebook and Hansfreelink on my Galaxy Nexus the FIRST time I paired it. I had nothing but trouble, so I deleted the pairing from the car and the phone, and have left it unchecked ever since. I CAN try it again, but I'm not convinced it will work any better. :(

Any info, fixes, or personal discoveries are not only encouraged, but appreciated!!!

Upvote 0
Yeah. Just spent another 20 minutes in the car. Cleared the paired devices in the CR-V at least twice, tried pairing by making my phone visible, pairing by making the phone see the car, tried using the default passcode, using a random one created by the car, etc. And clicking the "let handsfree access the phone book", and "do not ask me again", and then OK made ZERO difference. The disconnected / connected issue CONTINUED to occur.

I keep thinking maybe NOT being on 4.0.4 might fix it, but I'm NOT downgrading my phone software to make it work with my car. That's just stupid, since the Galaxy Nexus worked with the old car no matter the software. :mad:

Is there no hope? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I just got a new 2012 Honda Civic, and am having similar issues with pairing a Droid X. It connects just fine, but every 20 seconds or so, it disconnects briefly, and then reconnects right away. Very annoying. This never happened with my 2009 Honda Civic.

One thing that I noticed: this only happens when I have the Droid X plugged into the charger! As soon as I unplug it, it stops. I can live with that, for the most part.

That's SO odd. Since mine happens EXACTLY opposite. Though the irony is it happens without power, OR WITH power through the Galaxy Nexus official car dock. When powered by a USB cable and a cigarette lighter power adapter... it works fine. It's SO wierd!!!

Upvote 0
As Betsy719 stated on Aug 6th in the forum, she had the problem and here's her thread:

I was having this problem. Here's how I was able to solve it.

First I went here Honda Cars - New and Certified Used Cars from American Honda and noticed some steps in the process that I was failing to do when I tried the first ~50 times to sync my phone. See steps 15-18:

FOR FIRST TIME PAIRING:
1. Make sure Bluetooth is turned ON in the phone and it

Upvote 0
Appreciate the thought, but if it was that simple I'd never have posted the problem.

Instead, here is my fix, replacing the bt files on my Galaxy Nexus.

FIXED!!! So here is the problem AND the solution.

Dunno why, but something about the default bluetooth.apk that is in the Galaxy Nexus, even after the 4.0.4 update was NOT working between my phone and my CR-V.

The "hint" to the fix was found here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=11

After killing this process, my connectivity issue between phone and car disappeared. But the phonebook STILL wouldn't update.

Feeling I was getting somewhere, I did searches for the BluetoothPbapService, and so forth. After some looking, I finally found THIS site. rSAP for Android Forum • View topic - Update for Bluetooth.apk

I had unlocked my phone once, but hadn't rooted it properly. While trying to fix this issue, I'd rooted it, installed the CWM recovery menu, and tried a couple different "broadband" software packages that control the radio. That hadn't fixed the problem, but I COULD use Root Explorer with SU rights afterward.

So I downloaded the file for Android 4.0 to the Downloads folder on my GN. Then I created a new folder on the SDCard called backup. I moved the Bluetooth.apk and .odex files that were in /system/app into that directory, moved the .apk file I downloaded from that site back into /system/app, and made sure the permissions were as directed. Then I rebooted the phone.

Once down at my car, I removed ALL Bluetooth profiles from the car, clearing the BT settings completely. And then I deleted the BT profile from my phone. Then I turned on BT on the phone, pressed the phone button on the dash, and paired the phone as before. Only THIS time, the phone paired normally, didn't disconnected, and when I clicked phonebook, it seemed to do nothing as before. But a SECOND click on Phonebook, and instead of trying to download again... I GOT LETTERS to lookup names!!!!!

I tried a couple calls, and people didn't answer, but I can call and use the BT in my car normally!!! OH HAPPY DAY!!!

Upvote 0
As Betsy719 stated on Aug 6th in the forum, she had the problem and here's her thread:

I was having this problem. Here's how I was able to solve it.

First I went here Honda Cars - New and Certified Used Cars from American Honda and noticed some steps in the process that I was failing to do when I tried the first ~50 times to sync my phone. See steps 15-18:

FOR FIRST TIME PAIRING:
1. Make sure Bluetooth is turned ON in the phone and it

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones