• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Horror Story] Asurion will ONLY give you an Eris for your Droid as of yesterday afternoon

it's been posted, probaly here, but i read it at droidlife. assurion will be officially offering incredible and x as replacements. also, there is an official replacement to be announced in early august, can we say droid 2 as the logical replacement for the retired droid? could anyone argue that the drod 2 is not comparable? could assurion refuse it's it as an upgrade?

Upvote 0
it's been posted, probaly here, but i read it at droidlife. assurion will be officially offering incredible and x as replacements. also, there is an official replacement to be announced in early august, can we say droid 2 as the logical replacement for the retired droid? could anyone argue that the drod 2 is not comparable? could assurion refuse it's it as an upgrade?

Chances are most of us won't even need to file a claim with Asurion.
It's starting to sound like people are eager to know what Asurion is offering so they can get an $89 upgrade.

Reactions: dave412_4
Upvote 0
Man... I love custom ROM's and my Droid has been acting weird plus the head phone jack is acting up. I am not too happy with this news. I would take a Droid 2, but I hear it will be locked down too. HTC in my opinion, makes a lesser quality phone than Motorola. I would take a DX, but no rom's... What is a guy to do?

Upvote 0
Man... I love custom ROM's and my Droid has been acting weird plus the head phone jack is acting up. I am not too happy with this news. I would take a Droid 2, but I hear it will be locked down too. HTC in my opinion, makes a lesser quality phone than Motorola. I would take a DX, but no rom's... What is a guy to do?

when did you purchase your droid1 it might still be under manufacture warranty which mean you just just take it to verizon.

Upvote 0

I'm sure the eFuse will be cracked eventually. It may take a while. Like a month or two. But no top-tier Android device will be left unrooted. If there are enough people buying it and enough devs working on it, there will be something.

Plus, who's to say HTC won't implement something similar?

Upvote 0
any new news on this? my D1 is acting funny but i dont really want to pay $90 to replace it as its not completely screwed. but, if i could get an X then i would probably pony up the dough....anything?!

I think it's really a crapshoot. Some reported getting a Droid replacement without any problems while others were told there were none available around the same time.
I think you wont know until you call to file the claim. But if they offer you an Eris, tell them it's unacceptable and you want the Droid.
Dont ask for the X specifically, as they might suspect you're trying to pull a fast one on them and deny you one.
Demand the Droid.. or something better than an Eris. They'll offer the X.

Upvote 0
Just go to your local verizon store... I had an issue with my droid..it lost all my contacts and some widgets weren't loading correctly. ( i think due to me putting a music file in the wrong folder on my sd card)

but all you got to do is go in and tell them your droid restarts on itw own periodically.. some days it doesnt some days it does. they will try to say its bad software so they will do a hard reset and you will lose your apps...but then you come back saying its still having the issue..then they do a claim and give you a new droid while sending that one off to vze support techs.

It costs the fee..but it all comes back to you with the rebate right?!

Upvote 0
Just go to your local verizon store... I had an issue with my droid..it lost all my contacts and some widgets weren't loading correctly. ( i think due to me putting a music file in the wrong folder on my sd card)

but all you got to do is go in and tell them your droid restarts on itw own periodically.. some days it doesnt some days it does. they will try to say its bad software so they will do a hard reset and you will lose your apps...but then you come back saying its still having the issue..then they do a claim and give you a new droid while sending that one off to vze support techs.

It costs the fee..but it all comes back to you with the rebate right?!

My friend has done exactly this, but with 3 different Droids now (he just got his 4th refurb today and it's not activating, lol), but they refuse to give him a new phone. He was just at the Verizon store yesterday and they told him to his face that "even if he goes through 20 refurbs, they won't give him a new Droid", which is absolutely ridiculous. His first one randomly rebooted, second one had a BT and WiFi radio that wouldn't turn on and also couldn't use data over the air somehow, third one has a broken "p" button on the keyboard (and another thing I can't remember), 4th one won't program/activate right now, hah.

So have you done this and got a new Droid out of it? I've read on here somewhere that if you go through like 5 phones and still get busted units, then Verizon will have to replace it for you, but I'd like to find that in the terms of service or something for him to bring into the store and show them.

Upvote 0
My friend has done exactly this, but with 3 different Droids now (he just got his 4th refurb today and it's not activating, lol), but they refuse to give him a new phone. He was just at the Verizon store yesterday and they told him to his face that "even if he goes through 20 refurbs, they won't give him a new Droid", which is absolutely ridiculous.

So have you done this and got a new Droid out of it? I've read on here somewhere that if you go through like 5 phones and still get busted units, then Verizon will have to replace it for you, but I'd like to find that in the terms of service or something for him to bring into the store and show them.

I was told when I had my LG Dare that after 3 failed replacements then on the 4th try I would be given a different phone....which at the time they said was the LG Voyager, NOT the same...so it may be the same kind of problem whichever route you take.

Upvote 0
My friend has done exactly this, but with 3 different Droids now (he just got his 4th refurb today and it's not activating, lol), but they refuse to give him a new phone. He was just at the Verizon store yesterday and they told him to his face that "even if he goes through 20 refurbs, they won't give him a new Droid", which is absolutely ridiculous. His first one randomly rebooted, second one had a BT and WiFi radio that wouldn't turn on and also couldn't use data over the air somehow, third one has a broken "p" button on the keyboard (and another thing I can't remember), 4th one won't program/activate right now, hah.

Ive done it once and got a droid in return. My mans has done this plenty of times in the past with Verizon(so he says).

But I'm not sure if it has changed to where they issue you a referb or not. Its been since last year when I got mine. So if your having a legit issue then i guess you have no choice..but if your bs'in and you want to get a new phone cuz yours is dinged up... you might get a refurb that has a real mechanical issue lol.

Upvote 0
When I bought my Droid at the VZW V-Zone (does everyone have these?), I was offered insurance (not assurion) by my sales rep that cost me $99.00 in a one time fee. The way she explained it and what made it so intriguing to me was that everything was covered (even water damage), and when I needed to use it, I was guaranteed a breand-new replacement Droid. No deductible, no refurbished crap, no down-grades, etc.

After reading through these 4 pages of horror stories, I hope that I never have to use it, and if I do, I hope they don't jack me around. I love my Droid and hope that nothing happens to it.

Upvote 0
When I bought my Droid at the VZW V-Zone (does everyone have these?), I was offered insurance (not assurion) by my sales rep that cost me $99.00 in a one time fee. The way she explained it and what made it so intriguing to me was that everything was covered (even water damage), and when I needed to use it, I was guaranteed a breand-new replacement Droid. No deductible, no refurbished crap, no down-grades, etc.

After reading through these 4 pages of horror stories, I hope that I never have to use it, and if I do, I hope they don't jack me around. I love my Droid and hope that nothing happens to it.

Do you know any more details about the coverage, like the policy name or provider? I have not heard of this option, maybe because I haven't been to one of these "v-zones." What in the world is a v-zone?

Upvote 0
Do you know any more details about the coverage, like the policy name or provider? I have not heard of this option, maybe because I haven't been to one of these "v-zones." What in the world is a v-zone?

In RI and Mass we have something called wireless zone which is a franchised VZW reseller. It sounds like something similar. I used to go through wireless zone but then I ran into problems and discovered it was better to go direct to VZW. They probably have autonomy to use whatever insurance partner they want.

The funny thing is that wireless zone and the Official VZW store are like 7 storefronts away from each other at the mall.

Upvote 0
Chances are most of us won't even need to file a claim with Asurion.
It's starting to sound like people are eager to know what Asurion is offering so they can get an $89 upgrade.

I totally agree with man. I recently filed a claim before all this asurion thing came about i was able to get my D1 replaced. Now that people hear that you can get a Droid Incredible or a DX is seems peoples phones have suddenly broke. I honestly think that the D2 will be the official and only replacement for D1, because there is really nothing we can say that makes it a downgrade.

For people with there phones suddenly messing up I really doubt they will be offering the droid X to any of us D1 users. I say the Droid incredible is the farthest they will go.

Upvote 0
i just got my droid replaced with assurion with another droid... i called saturday.... got it yesterday yay for me thank god i got it before on this mess... i just read the headline i was like phew

Same here.. my Droid got damaged ( water) and I was shocked when I saw my current Asurion policy covered water damage ( thought for sure it did not)

Ordered Monday ( 8-2) got a Droid today, in fact the new one is already rooted and running :D

Upvote 0
not sure if this counts but it has to do with vzw's refurb policy. i unwittingly bought the devour (i was new to android and liked the body style). after discovering the lack of support i was pretty unhappy with my purchase and this was past my 30 days buyers' remorse policy. i didn't blame anybody but myself. (i say this because after reading through some devour forums i saw users that were placing the fault on a sales rep, instead of actually researching the phone their selves before making the purchase)

soon after, the screen on my first devour went completely dead. i mean nothing. so i went to a corp. store and had a replacement ordered.

about a week or so after, this phone kept randomly rebooting so i took the proactive process to uninstall all of my apps to see if i would still have this problem. no dice, the devour was randomly rebooting, sometimes up to 3 times in an hour.

after calling tech support, i was told that the issue could be with the battery so i was sent a new one. once again, no luck and the device kept rebooting.

after calling tech support again, they sent me another devour. no problem, i made the mistake of having a phone that i'd be unhappy with but i can deal with that as long as i have one that works! alas, i was plagued with random reboots once more.

after calling tech support AGAIN, i was offered a refurb droid. i was so overwhelmed with joy, even though it was a refurb! no issues so far with hardware and i immediately rooted to enjoy the froyo goodness.

moral(s) of the story, sometimes a refurb can be as good as a new unit (if you're lucky like me) and do research on the phone that you're buying! it's not about whats new and shiny but ultimately what will bring you hours of enjoyment (and sometimes a look of scorn from your girlfriend ;) )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones