• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hotmail in a few (semi-easy) steps

johnbrain

I've had hotmail since before it was an MS product. Early 90's I guess. So no I can't just switch to something else.

Hotmail Wave 4 exchange support still hasn't rolled out. I was using text alerts then had bookmarked Hotmail on my browser but was still annoyed. Especially coming from Windows Mobile. I figured out a pretty practical workaround, but it does take a little setting up.

1) Set up text alerts for received Hotmail messages. Don't worry you can deactivate it relatively quickly. Why? Hotmail only allows forwarding to other hotmail/Live mail accounts UNLESS you have used text alerts. Various threads abound on this topic. It didn;t work right when I tried it a few weeks ago so I used the text alerts. Wow two days ago all of a sudden I could forward to any email address.

2) After using text alerts (not sure if it requires more than 1, or a day or whatever) I went back into my Hotmail account options via hotmail.com or live.com, Mail Forwarding, and was able to forward mail to my Gmail account for my phone. I clicked delete from inbox after forwarding. I'll explain why below.

3) Using the Gmail website, under settings>Accounts and Import> click "Always reply from default address" or "Reply from the same address the message was sent to" if hotmail is not already set as your default address. I'm actually not sure this matters for the phone but it does for Gmail through the web.

4) Download the Windows Live Mail applications for your PC if you don't have it already. I currently use that for Hotmail so adding my Gmail account to the same screen is no big deal.

Be sure to configure the Gmail JUST LIKE THIS LINK EXPLAINS. I didn't know this at first and had to redo it. With this configuration Spam and trash sync as well. You can set Windows Live Mail in the program to show your hotmail as your reply to address.

5) Download K-9 email app from the marketplace. It can set up Hotmail for Pop3. Under Menu>Settings>Syncing Folders>Folder poll check frequency Set to Never. I only use K-9 to SEND email since it will natively send it from my hotmail account and sync to "Sent Messages"

USE K-9 to send. Use GMail to receive. They arrive almost instantaneously.

NOTE: Since I already have both my Hotmail and Gmail accounts in Windows Live Mail on my laptop, if there's a vital email I receive that I absolutely must have in my actual Hotmail inbox, I just copy to folder or drag & drop it right there. So far I've had zero that I've felt compelled to transfer but it's always an option.

I have replied to and forwarded many emails and they appear as if they came from my Hotmail account.

Hope these instructions make sense. I was pretty excited when I put them up. Hopefully Exchange Activesync is up soon though.

Thank you so much OP, I tried your steps and they worked like a charm!

I enabled text notices in hotmail and sent a single test email (which generated the text message) and then was able to forward to gmail. I disabled text notices and then tested things successfully (sent a message to my hotmail, it arrived at my gmail).

I love the widget, Pure Messenger, but K-9 for Pure has always given me bigtime problems when trying to use it with hotmail. It has worked in the past, but broke recently and the app states that it won't work with hotmail so I couldn't whine to the dev. :)

Your steps solved my problem; thanks again.

Did this yesterday and as far as i can tell its working correctly. I never turned off text notifications but havent received one since i started forwarding my email to my gmail account. The biggest difference i've noticed is how many more messages are being sent to the spam folder. For example, i used to allow mail from Verizon, but noticed today one of their messages had been sent into the spam folder.

Why not just use the Mail or HTC's Mail App for this? It's simple and much more convenient.

Incoming: pop3.live.com
port: 995

Outgoing: smtp.live.com
port: 25

The MailDrioid App can be used for hotmail and works like a charm. It gives you notification on your phone everytime a new mail is received. You can only access the inbox, not the other folders, but that's all I need. I just check junk (and other folders) through the regular computer or through the windows live website on my phone if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom