• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I tell if a phone is a knock-off or used (with a new housing)?

skirush

Lurker
I bought a phone (i.e., Samsung Alpha) from MobilePros1 on ebay. They listed the phone as "new" for $299.99, but I suspect that it's either counterfeit, used with a new housing, or at least tampered with. I got the package today and the seal was broken, the plastic covering that goes on the front and back seemed cheap and ill-fitted, and the way the phone was laying in the box...it just doesn't appear new (I've had many new phones before). It was ill-fitting in the box and was not snug, as samsung or apple would do with expensive phones.

It was in an AT&T box, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I've started a return on ebay and I'm supposed to be covered by ebay's money back guarantee.

I was just curious though...Is there a way for me to tell if the phone is counterfeit or used with a new housing? I would love to be able to use this as further evidence in my return with ebay and MobilePros1.

For all others, I would steer clear from them. I suppose the old saying is true; you get what you pay for.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some of your observations can be explained by the unlocking process that third-party resellers use with these phones. I recently purchased an unlocked LG G2 from mobilepros1 on ebay. The phone was new (mine still had plastic tape on it -- did yours?), but the tape on the box had been scored with a razor, and the box had been opened. However, as I understand it, mobilepros1 buys these phone new but locked, then unlocks them manually. To do so, they would need to open the box, power up the phone, enter an unlock code, then repackage the phone. The phone looks used but is basically new.

I also suspect some of your issues are due to the build quality of the Samsung Alpha itself whose plastic back cover has been mentioned in reviews as being flimsy, even by Samsung's plastic standards.

I thought you said in another post you confirmed it was a real Alpha from contacting Samsung and they confirmed it was a legit phone

Back
Top Bottom