• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How come when my phone dies it deletes app data but not the apps?

Most of the time, when my phone dies it deletes all of the data from my phone but it doesn't delete the app. Does anyone know a way I can fix this??

Also my phone dies when it gets to around 20% and I'm not sure why? Sometimes if I'm lucky it'll go down to 8% then die but normally around the 20% mark. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but just thought I might add that in there...

Thanks for taking the time to read lol

It seems like battery issue, how long did you own it ?
I bought it used a few months ago on eBay. But when I received it, it was jailbroken and kept saying "System UI has stopped" or whatever and the only way I could fix it was to load a custom ROM onto it. The custom ROM was ICE (InsertCoin Enhanced). Its definitely not my favorite ROM but it is similar to the factory one. For some reason when I try to flash the original one back on it never would flash, so I just stuck with this one.

I bought it used a few months ago on eBay. But when I received it, it was jailbroken and kept saying "System UI has stopped" or whatever and the only way I could fix it was to load a custom ROM onto it. The custom ROM was ICE (InsertCoin Enhanced). Its definitely not my favorite ROM but it is similar to the factory one. For some reason when I try to flash the original one back on it never would flash, so I just stuck with this one.

I have no idea about the "data deleted but not apps" thing, but the battery on your phone might be weak or improperly calibrated for that ROM. You should try to re-calibrate your battery a couple of times to see if it still dies at 20% mark.

I started having the app data issue as well. In fact, my system apps would revert to the factory installed version when the battery died. Several people complained about a similar issue at about the same time. I suspect that some kind of botched HTC update was to blame.

Eventually I sent mine into HTC (it was still under warranty) and then sold it when it returned. Very disappointing as I loved the phone, but every HTC I've owned has eventually had some kind of horrible glitch.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I figured I could let you know you weren't the only one experiencing similar problems.

I have no idea about the "data deleted but not apps" thing, but the battery on your phone might be weak or improperly calibrated for that ROM. You should try to re-calibrate your battery a couple of times to see if it still dies at 20% mark.
How do you recalibrate your battery??

I started having the app data issue as well. In fact, my system apps would revert to the factory installed version when the battery died. Several people complained about a similar issue at about the same time. I suspect that some kind of botched HTC update was to blame.

Eventually I sent mine into HTC (it was still under warranty) and then sold it when it returned. Very disappointing as I loved the phone, but every HTC I've owned has eventually had some kind of horrible glitch.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I figured I could let you know you weren't the only one experiencing similar problems.
Oh well thanks anyways, I really like this phone and wanted to keep it. Seems like a lot of people have issues with their HTC phones too. I guess I'll keep it and buy a new one once it breaks it or just get tired of the issues lol.

How do you recalibrate your battery??
Using an app from the Store and the instructions that come with it.

Battery calibration is a subject that has been debated many times, it could work or couldn't, but it costs nothing to try.

It's not a battery issue. It's from the marshmallow. He is probably with marshmallow rom, right?
HTC devices and specially M8 have this bug after upgrading to Android 6.
1. The phone can die at 15-20% battery.
2.Everything can be deleted, factory reset by itself.
3.Your SD card can be corrupted after that and need to be formated.
4. It can happen also when you simply restart your phone.
5. There's no fix for that [emoji4] blame HTC.
Try to avoid this. Always charge your phone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom