• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How common are these issues?

How common are the issues?

• Seems to be a "feature"

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I've had maybe one of the issues once.

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • I've never had a problem with the phone.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yeah, you just have bad luck, maybe buy a Zack Morris phone.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kent747

I am receiving a replacement Eris tomorrow, but before I get settled in with it, I am curious to see how common the issues I've had with my two previous Eris's (Erisi?) are. I'm listing out the issues I've had, just state whether you've had the same issues.

1 - Phone losing 3G coverage and having to restart phone for it to reacquire said coverage.
2 - Up to two minute delay between pressing "Call" and call actually being placed.
3 - GPS unable to track/find you.
4 - Browser scrolling erradically
5 - Unable to answer incoming call (phone rings, screen goes black, hit call button, nothing happens, phone then states "missed call")
6 - Touch buttons unresponsive

Essentially, when I recieve my third Eris, I am debating whether to go ahead and find issues with it and demand another device, or if the issues listed above were mere coincidences with two different phones.

1 - I've never had that happen
2 - I've had it pause for a few seconds (feels like an eternity sometimes), but never more than that.
3 - This happens to me all the time if I leave the GPS on 24/7. I started turning it off when not in use and the problem is gone.
4 - I've had it close up on me for no reason once or twice, but it has never gone crazy.
5 - I've never had that happen
6 - My girlfriend had that issue on her first phone. She had it replaced and the new one is great.

I'm on my second Eris, the first one was replaced due to a 'dead' area on the screen. My answer apply to both phones, as there has been no difference between them. Naturally these answers are based on MY experience.

1) never happens (I live in one town, work in another 30 miles away, move around quite a bit in both. So it's not like I spend all of my time on the same tower)
2) Some delay maybe 1 out of 10 calls, excessive (over 30 seconds or so) delay approx 1 out of 25. Sometimes I know that the phone is stopping some larger process, which is causing the delay.
3) never happens
4) I've seen this a few times, maybe 2 or 3 times since November.
5) never happens
6) never happens except at a time when I KNOW the phone is 'busy' doing some other large process. Even then, not very often - like 1 or 2 times per month.

Note the I've made references above to a large process. For instance, I read a lot of ebooks on my phone. The book I'm currently reading is VERY large, and I believe it wasn't ported well to the ebook format. Most ebooks I read open to the last page I was on in under a minute(how long it takes my phone to go to sleep if I'm not actively using it). This particular book takes 3, sometimes 4 minutes to load. If I 'home' out of the reader and try to make a call there is a lag before the call is made. I know this is because the phone is having to close the reader(first saving my place in the book) before it has resources to make a call. I know this because the book is closed when I go back to reader app. There is also a smallish delay when I make a call while the navigator is running, which is another very large process. None of these things bother me because I realize I'm doing a LOT of different stuff on my 'phone'.
Once in a while though there is a delay when making a call when I am not aware of a large process running (at which time I'm calling my phone somthing tacky...).

1 - Never happens
2 - yes, ive had this
3 - nope
4 - nope
5 - This just recently started
6 - I've had this. Wouldn't say that they are unresponsive, just not sensitive enough.

I do, why?

I did a factory reset a few weeks ago and had zero problems with the phone, lag or anything... then Installed pandora and noticed all kinds of lag issues with the phone from just having it installed.

Might be worth while to uninstall it, reboot the phone and see if these problems persist.

So based on these responses, I have no idea if I have bad luck or if this phone just has issues. Anyone's opinion on just trying for a different device?

So based on these responses, I have no idea if I have bad luck or if this phone just has issues. Anyone's opinion on just trying for a different device?
It seems pretty reasonable to assume going by the responses above, that your current phone has problems. Maybe exchange it for a different Eris, and see how it goes from there. Since many of your problems are not normal by any means.

1 - Never
2 - Yeah it acts up sometimes, can make me mad
3 - This only happens when I need to use GPS
4 - Has done some funny things from time to time
5 - Sometimes I hit the button to pick it up and it does nothing I hit it again and I hung up on them
6 - That or it will open a different app..

Back
Top Bottom