• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How could my day get any worse?

Turbojoe

I've been fighting a stomach bug all day. I somehow made it to quitting time (12:30 am) and then got the pleasure of riding the motorcycle home in a rain storm. Wait, it gets worse....... I pull my N7 bag out of the back pack. Take the N7 out of its protective bag so I can charge it and promptly drop it about a foot and a half onto the wood floor. Problem is it hit right on the lower right hand corner. The screen is shattered at the corner and several spider cracks on the entire face. The display still looks good but doesn't respond to touch. I can't even shut it off. The power button works but just causes it to reboot. I can't shut it down. I guess it'll power down when the battery gets low enough.

Not sure what to do now. What I've been reading is that screen replacement is close to $170.00!!! :mad: It took everything I had to buy the N7. Can't afford that much for repair. I guess I have a $250.00 paper weight. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now...........

Joe

Really sorry to hear that. :(
My wife dropped my Galaxy Tab 10.1 about a few feet onto our wood floor (she was sitting in bed). However it landed, it completely shattered the screen. It did cost a little more than the N7 too. Was only a couple months old.
Like the above said, would you be able to use home insurance to cover it? I'd assume your deductible would be high, but it's worth looking into.

Just checked my policy. $250.00 deductible. Would probably cause my rates to climb if I made a claim so not worth it. Not sure what I'll do. I love the N7 but from what I've been reading the screen is pretty fragile. Maybe I'll wait and see what Apple and Kindle come up with for their response to the N7. Or maybe ASUS will start to charge a reasonable price and I can get this one fixed.

Joe

Sorry to hear that Turbojoe. Life sucks sometimes. Hopefully you find a way to get it fixed.

Did you buy it with a credit card? I know that Amex offers 90 days of accident protection for any purchase and others may do the same.

Or maybe ASUS will start to charge a reasonable price and I can get this one fixed.

Joe

When you're selling a tab as cheap as the Nexus 7, you have to make your profits somehow... :P always time for conspiracy theories!

How could your day be any worse? Well, you could have died from that stomach bug....

...no wait, then the Nexus 7 would still be OK.

Have to rethink this... :D

Have you tried calling Google to see what they offer? Couldn't hurt just to find out...

I've been fighting a stomach bug all day. I somehow made it to quitting time (12:30 am) and then got the pleasure of riding the motorcycle home in a rain storm. Wait, it gets worse....... I pull my N7 bag out of the back pack. Take the N7 out of its protective bag so I can charge it and promptly drop it about a foot and a half onto the wood floor. Problem is it hit right on the lower right hand corner. The screen is shattered at the corner and several spider cracks on the entire face. The display still looks good but doesn't respond to touch. I can't even shut it off. The power button works but just causes it to reboot. I can't shut it down. I guess it'll power down when the battery gets low enough.

Not sure what to do now. What I've been reading is that screen replacement is close to $170.00!!! :mad: It took everything I had to buy the N7. Can't afford that much for repair. I guess I have a $250.00 paper weight. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now...........

Joe

You coud have had a car accident and ended up in a hospital. You could have been informend you had cancer. Things could have been much worse. You have a cold and you broke a cheap tablet. Not that bad.

Yeah, it was a pretty sucky end of the workday and as pointed out things could certainly have been worse.

I just did a search on my Chase credit card website and can't find a thing that would provide any purchase protection other than fraud. No fumble fingers insurance unfortunately.

It's not like I can't live without the N7 but things are much easier with it. Especially at work. The laptop is too big and my smartphone screen is a joke with my old eyes. I have to go to Walmart today and I'll most likely walk out with N7 number 2. Hopefully I can sell enough stuff on ebay again to cover this one too so I can keep the credit balance down.

Joe

sucks. sorry to hear that. But I'll offer a brighter perspective.
The last time I said can my day get any worse...it did and very much so. Ended up in my doctor's office with him telling me I had cancer and he believed it was pretty bad. So count your blessings. Thankfully for me I'm still alive. So when I break my toys now I have a frown but thats about it. :)
Your day will get better. Maybe not today but soon.

sucks. sorry to hear that. But I'll offer a brighter perspective.
The last time I said can my day get any worse...it did and very much so. Ended up in my doctor's office with him telling me I had cancer and he believed it was pretty bad. So count your blessings. Thankfully for me I'm still alive. So when I break my toys now I have a frown but thats about it. :)
Your day will get better. Maybe not today but soon.

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully they caught it in time. I lost my father and brother to cancer. Now my daughter in law has it. Yeah, my day wasn't so bad after all. I wish I could edit the heading to say something more appropriate like "what else can go wrong" or something along those lines.

Joe

If you buy it at Walmart you can get their insurance. It covers drops. I think it was $30.

Just got back from Walmart. They couldn't tell me definitively that a tablet is covered for accidental damage. A laptop yes. They didn't think the tablet would be covered because it wasn't specifically listed. I'll just have to hold on to this one much tighter.

I picked up N7 #2. Guess were all the overtime from working last weekend is going. Straight to the credit card come payday. My own stupid fault. Lesson learned. :o

Joe

Very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hopefully they caught it in time. I lost my father and brother to cancer. Now my daughter in law has it. Yeah, my day wasn't so bad after all. I wish I could edit the heading to say something more appropriate like "what else can go wrong" or something along those lines.

Joe

I was very very VERY lucky. I shouldn't even be alive right now. But somehow I made it. When I dropped my galaxy nexus, it happened shortly after I got out of the hospital and it didn't even phased me. 3 months earlier I would have been ticked. :)

Life is short, enjoy the heck out of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom