• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I add new ringtones I find to my LG ?

jo69

Android Enthusiast
I have downloaded a few sms and ringtones from zedge.com.
To my LG G3 phone.
I think the correct way to get them to work is to add them to the ringtones folder found in system?
When i try to cut and copy them there i get a message saying i cant as they are read only.
But i tapped on them when i downloaded and they play ok.
What am i doing wrong?

I have downloaded a few sms and ringtones from zedge.com.
To my LG G3 phone.
I think the correct way to get them to work is to add them to the ringtones folder found in system?
When i try to cut and copy them there i get a message saying i cant as they are read only.
But i tapped on them when i downloaded and they play ok.
What am i doing wrong?
When you go into your sms app for example, and you navigate to change the notification sound....you click on the option to change it....do you get this pop up?:
Screenshot_2015-08-24-19-46-12.PNG
If you don't, then as it says in that pop up, "To show this pop up again, go to settings>Application manager........"

Then go back into your sms app and try to change the notification sound.......that pop up should show up...be sure to uncheck the "Use as default app" box..... that way, the pop up will show again;)

If I try and cut and copy any ringtone the message I get is ..system media/audio/ringtones/ then ringtone name..open failedEROFS (read only file system)

My phone just wont let me add anything to the ringtones folder in system

Have been trying to transfer ringtones by WiFi Lan from my pc.

As when I plug my LG G3 into pc via usb I am unable to access to System folder that way
It is hidden.

Last edited:
When you go into your sms app for example, and you navigate to change the notification sound....you click on the option to change it....do you get this pop up?:
If you don't, then as it says in that pop up, "To show this pop up again, go to settings>Application manager........"

Then go back into your sms app and try to change the notification sound.......that pop up should show up...be sure to uncheck the "Use as default app" box..... that way, the pop up will show again;)
No Mike I don't get that pop up
Only a list of whats already on the phone

Attachments

• copy failed.png
    copy failed.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 167
It wont let me add anything to the Ringtones folder
In system?

Don't try, it's not the right way.

Yes, /system is hidden from the pc, and if it's not hidden on the phone then you've rooted it - and you need to leave /system alone.

If you created the /sdcard/Ringtones folder then you ought to be able to add any files there with the same app that you used to create that folder.

Or just put them anywhere in your user storage (aka the /sdcard) and use Rings Extended.

Anyway - stop messing with the system, that's not the way at all.
No. Not correct.

Hi So I put them in the folder that just has 3 hangouts tones in it then?
Thanks.
Just thought they had to be in with the main ringtones As that's what I have always done with other phones.
What do I do with the SMS tones then? As only a Ringtones folder on my SD card. No notifications etc

Hi So I put them in the folder that just has 3 hangouts tones in it then?
Thanks.
Just thought they had to be in with the main ringtones As that's what I have always done with other phones.
What do I do with the SMS tones then? As only a Ringtones folder on my SD card. No notifications etc
I have some hangouts ringtones so they're in the right place.

If you have some hangouts ringtones in /sdcard/Ringtones and want to add more ringtones, put them there.

If you want to add sounds to your sms notifications, put them in /sdcard/Notifications.

If you want to add sounds to your alarm clock, put them in /sdcard/Alarms.

If you don't have those folders, create them - I recommend X-plore File Manager - and then move the sound files to the appropriate folder with X-plore.

Or just get Rings Extended and be done with it.

I understand that you modified /system on other phones. While it worked, it wasn't right.

What I'm describing has been part of standard Android for years.

And on your G3, /sdcard is NOT your physical sd card.

/sdcard on the G3 is the legacy folder shortcut to the internal storage.

I have some hangouts ringtones so they're in the right place.

If you have some hangouts ringtones in /sdcard/Ringtones and want to add more ringtones, put them there.

If you want to add sounds to your sms notifications, put them in /sdcard/Notifications.

If you want to add sounds to your alarm clock, put them in /sdcard/Alarms.

If you don't have those folders, create them - I recommend X-plore File Manager - and then move the sound files to the appropriate folder with X-plore.

Or just get Rings Extended and be done with it.

I understand that you modified /system on other phones. While it worked, it wasn't right.

What I'm describing has been part of standard Android for years.

And on your G3, /sdcard is NOT your physical sd card.

/sdcard on the G3 is the legacy folder shortcut to the internal storage.

Thanks. I learn something new every day lol
I just couldn't understand why I could add them to the Hangouts ringtones Thought I had to add them to the Media folder
All suggestions on Google were not very helpful

I have a Notifications folder already on the SD Card It just says severe weather alert Can I add notifications into that one?

Thanks you're a star lol.
Added an Alarms folder But since it wasn't there before that one doesn't show up.

Will have to try the App you suggested maybe for that one if needed.

What am I missing here? :o
Once you download sounds from Zedge, it will create its own folder.
Then when you get the popup I posted earlier, just choose Zedge to set the notification?

Why go through all the hassle of copy/paste/moving from here to there when all you need to do is a simple click on the Zedge folder in the pop up?

Sorry, perhaps I didn't have enough caffeine this a.m. and I really don't mean to be snarky or anything trust me....I'm just a little confused :)

Im always confused lol. Comes with age.
Zedge downloads just go into the Downloads folder.
I empty that often so dont want them there.

Plus dont always seem to get the pop up.

Im always confused lol. Comes with age.
Zedge downloads just go into the Downloads folder.
I empty that often so dont want them there.

Plus dont always seem to get the pop up.
Hmm, puzzling that they go into your downloads folder.
I have the same device, and I don't think it matters but when I go to Zedge...I find a notification I like, it automagically puts it into /sdcard/Zedge/notifications; not into my downloads folder.
Screenshot_2015-08-25-10-15-01.PNG

Screenshot_2015-08-25-10-15-13.PNG

And mind you, it's the internal storage "sdcard", not the removeable, external "sdcard"

While typing this, I wonder if there is an option within the Zedge app to choose where to download a file...whether it be a notification, ringtone, or wallpaper file.....let me check.
Edit: sorry about the late edit here, but no, I don't see an option to the download location.

Last edited:
Thanks anyway. Youve been very helpful.
Regarding zedge i have just downloaded ringtones not signed in or anything.
I suppose that makes a difference.
Plus I like adding ringtones I have saved from other phones also.
Especially ones I use for contacts.

Back
Top Bottom