• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I change the phone number in "phone identity"?

??
I don't understand the question.

Do you mean the phone number shown for your device? you can't. That is tied to the IMEI by the carrier.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I bought my M8 second hand. If I go to Settings, About, Phone Identity under Phone Number is an 0754 number which isn't mine-I'm with Tesco 0782 (nor the previous owners either).

If you have registered the phone with your carrier, that info should have changed.

However, some phones offer a menu option that will allow you to "set Display number", and I now suspect that you are seeing something like that.

we need someone familiar with your phone to help here.

I suggest you go back to the first post, and look in the options up above, and change the title:

How to change HTC One M8 phone identify number?

If you have registered the phone with your carrier, that info should have changed.
You are thinking CDMA. A GSM handset gets the number from the SIM, not the IMEI, and there's no need to register a handset with a carrier at all.

If you are replacing the SIM (due to e.g. it being a different size from the one you need for the phone) but keeping the number it will normally be a few hours before the databases are updated to associate the new SIM with your old number. During that time the phone will display whatever number the SIM was pre-allocated to. Once the SIM activates with your new number this should update (maybe after a reboot of the phone).

Back
Top Bottom