• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I stop tablet permanently from upgrading to 4.4 KK

jcutaia

I hate, hate, hate the new 4.4 Kit Kat on my best friends tablet and want to stop mine from updating from 4.3 to 4.4 permanently, how do I do that?

unfortunately I don't think you can..Samsung's way of forcing crap down your throat..sigh.

actually there's a way to permanently preventing Kitkat download: don't buy Samsung products! :)

Did not work, unit still wants to update!
I checked with Samsung support before I bought the tablet, and yes they said the same thing I was told here on the forum. Now they are back pedaling and not taking any responsibility about the fact their tech's do not know the products they are advising people on. I am supposed to get a call from a support supervisor, I'll bet I never get a return call.

I checked with Samsung support before I bought the tablet, and yes they said the same thing I was told here on the forum. Now they are back pedaling and not taking any responsibility about the fact their tech's do not know the products they are advising people on. I am supposed to get a call from a support supervisor, I'll bet I never get a return call.
Yup, don't hold your breath on the returning call. I've been with Samsung Unsupport for the past month now, soon after I upgraded to KK. And the tech kept saying they're investigating my claims. Really? Do I actually have a claim? No I have freakin issue with their product, and I would like a resolution to the issue.
As for your question re: the software updating issue, I was merely correcting the other poster's instruction, I didn't say it would work. I've tried it, and it never worked, so I keep uninstalling the updates, force strop, turn off, and REPEAT! Sorry to disappoint you but companies are out to sell us their products and they'll do anything to do so, including lies. Us as consumers have to do our research before we "accept" their dishonesty.

There is a way to avoid this update but it does have consequences.

If you flash a new recovery you can install any ROM you like or stick with one you like. You will also be able to gain complete control over your tablet by rooting it and then no-one will be able to force you to install anything.

The issue with this approach is that by flashing a non-stock recovery, you will blow the Knox efuse.

Depending on where you live and whom you believe, this may or may not void your warranty and you may or may not care.

I keep hearing about the new Rom and "root", but I am a PC guy and don't understand the terminology. If I can find detailed instructions I would go for it. I only have a 90 day warranty on the tablet.

I got lucky. I disabled system update on mine right out of the box. If it is already nagging you, you are too late. Eventually it will update on its own unless you root and delete the system update APK from /system/app

'Root' is Android's term for 'jailbreaking'. It is essentially gaining access to the admin permissions. Root is a linux/UNIX term for the admin account.

'ROM' stands for Read Only Memory. It is basically your operating system (Android). ROMs are alternative versions of Android for various purposes. Some strip out the Samsung stuff, some are plain minimalist, some are full of features, some are meant for gaming, etc.

I keep hearing about the new Rom and "root", but I am a PC guy and don't understand the terminology. If I can find detailed instructions I would go for it. I only have a 90 day warranty on the tablet.
Sorry, I could have been clearer.

When someone talks about rooting an Android tablet, what they mean is gaining superuser access to the tablet. In Unix/Linux (and Android runs a Linux kernel), the admin user is called root hence the term rooting. Once you have root access you can pretty much do anything you like with your tablet so you can uninstall any of the carrier provided software, back everything up properly (which is almost impossible to do without root), install any software etc..

The term ROM refers to the operating system i.e. the standard software that the phone/tablet comes with. Because Android is a fairly open system, many developers take the source code and make changes to it to enable new functionality, disable unwanted software, provide early access to Android updates etc..

There is a sub-forum here Note 10.1 2014 - All Things Root - Android Forums that covers how to root your Note. Having said that, there is a lot more detail on xda-developers than there is here.

Installing a new ROM is not that hard but you should make sure you read through instructions carefully before you start. I've never read of anyone hard bricking (i.e. messing up the update process so it completely stops working) a Note 10.1 but you don't want to be the first. If you only have a 90 day warranty then you aren't really losing much if you blow the Knox efuse (and don't want to use the tablet in a corporate environment where they may not permit rooted tablet to connect to the corporate network).

Back
Top Bottom