• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you turn off the circle with slash

bktbktbkt

For the past couple of days, when I use the volume down to silence the phone, an icon of a circle with a diagonal slash through it appears in the notification area. How do I disable this "feature?" When I called the phone from another phone, my phone does not ring and calls go directly to voicemail while the circle with diagonal slash through it is present.

I have searched and searched on line for ways to remove this "feature," however, none of the suggestions can be found on my phone.

The only way I have found to remove this and once again be able to receive calls is for me to place a call from my phone, which clears the icon, until I use the volume button again.

I no longer want this behavior when I use the volume button; and, no, when I use the volume, I don't get choices of "none" or "all" as is suggested in many of my searches.

I have looked for settings for interruption mode, do not disturb, volume, notifications, and phone, and none of those have any setting I can find to remove this "feature."

I have Samsung Galaxy s10e, see attached image.

upload_2020-4-22_10-39-52.png

Attachments

• 20200422_103142.jpg
    20200422_103142.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,056
No, my do not disturb is NOT on. I checked for that.
upload_2020-4-22_12-29-40.png

It's not on.

The problem is, when I use the volume button, this circle with diagonal line icon
upload_2020-4-22_10-39-52-png.149738
appears and the behavior of the phone changes (can't receive calls). HOW do I turn off the volume button doing this? It is NOT do not disturb. I checked for that. Do not disturb is not on.
upload_2020-4-22_12-35-10.jpeg

The do not disturb icon is DIFFERENT than the one I described and for which I showed an image in the original post. Do not disturb is a circle with a horizontal line, the icon I have is a circle with a diagonal line
upload_2020-4-22_10-39-52-png.149738

upload_2020-4-22_12-36-33.jpeg

I do not believe that is the case as I am able to make calls from the phone when that icon is displayed. The OS information was contained in the original post (see attached). The network towers being used are T-moblie towers.

For the past couple of days, when I use the volume down to silence the phone, an icon of a circle with a diagonal slash through it appears in the notification area. How do I disable this "feature?" When I called the phone from another phone, my phone does not ring and calls go directly to voicemail while the circle with diagonal slash through it is present.

I have searched and searched on line for ways to remove this "feature," however, none of the suggestions can be found on my phone.

The only way I have found to remove this and once again be able to receive calls is for me to place a call from my phone, which clears the icon, until I use the volume button again.

I no longer want this behavior when I use the volume button; and, no, when I use the volume, I don't get choices of "none" or "all" as is suggested in many of my searches.

I have looked for settings for interruption mode, do not disturb, volume, notifications, and phone, and none of those have any setting I can find to remove this "feature."

View attachment 149738

On Samsung phones, I think it means no service available.

i would take it in to t-mobile and let them investigate this. the only other thing is you can try is put it in safe mode nd see if it still occurs. if it still does it, then i would suggest a factory reset. other then that, i would complain to t-mobile about your issue.

I don't think it is "no service" as I am able to place telephone calls from the device when the icon is present.

I am NOT a T-mobile customer. My carrier USES T-mobile towers. My carrier has nobody to service the device.

well the your only option is to try a factory reset or even flash a firmware update and hope for the best....not sure really what else it could be or what you can do.

Do Not Disturb is NOT on, it is OFF. I have the circle with a line through it. I can place calls, but I cannot receive calls, the phone doesn't ring, it goes directly to voicemail. I DO have data though. I am UNABLE to send or receive text messages. I am on a Samsung device (S10e) and my carrier uses T-mobile towers (but is NOT T-mobile). I have called my carrier and they did something to reset the network over a week ago, but the problem still persists. Very frustrating. I have been with this carrier for YEARS. I get the circle with the line through it while sitting on the couch at my home (been here 19.5 years) and I was formerly able to send and receive text messages from the same location and receive calls, too. I have checked T-mobile for tower outages, but nothing comes up.

Last edited:
I can use Facebook and Google, but can't send or receive text messages or receive calls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-150318_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329-150318_Messages.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 3,279
You have seemed to have replied to your own thread.

However, are you using a VPN on your phone? If so, have you set it to be used by the OS or do you have to restart it every time you restart your phone?

Only time I have that issue is when I restart my phone and have the OS setting to use the VPN. Only way out of it that I could find is to either make a call (which I don't know if it works still as it has been a while since I did it that way) or to turn airplane mode on and then back off. Or not set the VPN via the OS and to start it every time I restart the phone.

That is the only help I can give you as I can't repeat your issue any other way.

This looks very much like the OP's icon, on a Samsung device.

View attachment 149938

Yeh, suggest OP contact your carrier about it.

I can use Facebook and Google, but can't send or receive text messages or receive calls.

Hi did u ever figure it out ? Mine is doing same exact thing

as shown above, the icon is for no service. this is why the op can't receive calls as well as text messages.

@michelleeee who is your carrier? can you make calls when the icon is on your phone?

Xfinity is my carrier . They are not understanding what I mean when I called. Now there sending me a “NEW “ SIM card. I don’t think it is that but who knows. It has been happening ever since it was plugged into computer.

Hi did u ever figure it out ? Mine is doing same exact thing
No, I never did figure it out. It lasted for a couple of weeks, then it just went back to working like normal. I have no idea. I even traveled from my home to and through multiple states......then it just started working again.

my samsung s10 lite show the same symbol, phone junked, looks like most samsung s10 onwards have same problem, I am ditching samsung for other brands

No, I don't have a VPN.
I am having the problem as well and I am using the Galaxy s9 plus. first problem and had phone 2 yrs and 7 months. don't know what to do. I reboot phone and it goes away, only to return later. I have kept do-not-disturb on the phone most of the time for two yrs, but it is turned off. I have tried everything.. pissed

Are you using an old sim card? It may be as 3g was dropped from use, older sims would have issues connecting certain services. That could explain why calls are still working but SMS/MMS is not.

hi good day, my husband is having the same issue. it started on monday night, he has a s10 lite which he has had for the last 2 years. he has access to wifi but no calls no texts. and the no disturb is off. its not the sim because its currently in another phone and working fine. did anybody figure out what was the cause or solution. thanks.

View attachment 149738
It’s apparently the ‘Alexa hands-free’ thing. I’ve just found it on my granddaughters fire and I wasn’t resting till I found out. Hope this helps I know it was a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom