• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does the T-Mobile $30 monthly4G plan for the Nexus 4 work?

Jimmy422

So I'm seeing a lot of posts about the $30/mo 5GB 4G + Unlimited text + 100 min plan from T-Mobile. However, not ONE T-Mo rep in our local stores has ever heard of this. I've tried Walmart, Best Buy, and a T-Mo kiosk in our mall and they all looked at me like I'm crazy.

I'm assuming it's online only, as I see it on their website, but how exactly does it work? Do I buy a SIM (or is it a Micro SIM?) card from Best Buy or wherever, stick it in the phone (which I have to buy unlocked from Google, correct?), activate it online, and the option for the $30/mo shows up?

Aside from the fact that nobody seems to have a clear-cut guide to that, it sounds like a great deal. I'm starting to hate Virgin Mobile (really low phone selection, sub-par customer service, terrible sprint coverage except in major cities) and I've absolutely fallen in love with this phone. I'd love to switch but I'm nervous that this $30/mo thing is too good to be true.

The sim card you would want is here: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Card-Activation-Kit

Once you get the sim from T-Mobile and an unlocked Nexus 4 from Google, you just activate the sim card online under the plan you would like, the $30 one in your case. Beware though, the port from virgin mobile is quite a hassle. Took them 3 days to release my number, as well as my brother's.

The plan is fantastic though, data speeds compared to VM are through the roof. So far I've been very impressed.

Yes, it's easy enough to activate online, or switch to it through mytmobile. But it does say it's available at walmart, and in trying to get it Tmo customer service referred me there. So it may be a regional thing or those sales reps are lying/don't know their product.

The sim card you would want is here: Sim Card Activation Kit For Prepaid Phone or Unlocked iPhone | T-Mobil

Once you get the sim from T-Mobile and an unlocked Nexus 4 from Google, you just activate the sim card online under the plan you would like, the $30 one in your case. Beware though, the port from virgin mobile is quite a hassle. Took them 3 days to release my number, as well as my brother's.

The plan is fantastic though, data speeds compared to VM are through the roof. So far I've been very impressed.

What's coverage like? I know it's going to be different but compare it to VM if you can.

Everybody I've talked to says T-Mobile is meh, but they've all had it more than 3 years ago, so I'm assuming it's much better now.

Yes, it's easy enough to activate online, or switch to it through mytmobile.
I don't think you can switch to this plan if you already have a different plan. Not without getting a new SIM and a new number. This plan is for "new activations only" according to T-Mobile.

Coverage in my area (Pittsburgh) is much better. Places where I had no service with VM I now get at least edge. I even get better service in my basement than I did with VM, and my basement is essentially a bomb shelter. I'd check out their coverage map on their website.

So I'm seeing a lot of posts about the $30/mo 5GB 4G + Unlimited text + 100 min plan from T-Mobile. However, not ONE T-Mo rep in our local stores has ever heard of this. I've tried Walmart, Best Buy, and a T-Mo kiosk in our mall and they all looked at me like I'm crazy.

I'm assuming it's online only, as I see it on their website, but how exactly does it work? Do I buy a SIM (or is it a Micro SIM?) card from Best Buy or wherever, stick it in the phone (which I have to buy unlocked from Google, correct?), activate it online, and the option for the $30/mo shows up?

Aside from the fact that nobody seems to have a clear-cut guide to that, it sounds like a great deal. I'm starting to hate Virgin Mobile (really low phone selection, sub-par customer service, terrible sprint coverage except in major cities) and I've absolutely fallen in love with this phone. I'd love to switch but I'm nervous that this $30/mo thing is too good to be true.

Walmart people don't know anything because they aren't given product knowledge training as part of the job. Seeing as how I'm using the plan though it works fine. T-Mobile is on the upswing and will soon leave Sprint in the dust in my opinion.

Switch to this plan and supplement the 100 minutes with Google Voice or Vonage and you will thank us.

I don't think you can switch to this plan if you already have a different plan. Not without getting a new SIM and a new number. This plan is for "new activations only" according to T-Mobile.

You might be right, I just see it as an option to select on the web and via their app for a refill and assume it would be the same for everyone. I was originally signed up for a different plan and customer service suggested I wait until the month is over to switch because I would forfeit the balance of service on the first month if I switched early. Maybe it's one of those things they'll only do if you push for it.

I know there's been a lot of talk about that $30 plan being for new activations only. If memory serves, I remember one T-Mobile customer reporting they could only switch to it by activating a new SIM card. If any other existing customers have had luck getting on this plan it'd be good to know how you managed it.

I had T-Mobile Everything 500 postpaid plan. I ordered the Nexus 4 unlocked from Google and the micro SIM linked above from T-Mobile. I put in the SIM and activated it online with the $30 plan and a new number very easily. I called T-Mobile support to transfer my old number from the postpaid plan to the prepaid plan. They had to cancel my postpaid account and initiate a "get old number back" request. After resolving an issue with the account information not matching, I got my number back on the new plan. They did NOT refund any money from the postpaid account. As far as I can tell, this is the best / only approved way to switch to this awesome deal.

The $30 plan is online only, add to that that sadly a lot of techs can be clueless, so since they probably never received training to sell of, they have no clue it exists. It's nor like most Android users are hacking and or devving on XDA, rooting, busyboxing, etc. We are a minority here. Most technicians know the bare minimal, in regards to the "experts" carriers have. If they know a lot more, they'll probably either get a better job elsewhere or move up in their own company where they are currently employed. With regards to the plan, you order a microSIM (not a regular SIM) and insert in using that metal thingy cleverly called the SIM insertion tool into a side compartment that you open up on the Nexus 4. You then activate it following T Mobile's instructions and yes, you can activate from CyanogenMod, at least if you have the unlocked Nexus 4. I don't know what the T Mobile only Nexus 4 uses to activate. I got unlocked in the first place because I like the idea of being able to leave of T Mobile done something crazy like changed their plans drastically or jacked up their plan rates. It's nice to have the freedom of choice, Anyhow, you go through the activation instructions they a end you, and several reboots later, you're on their 4G (not 4G LTE) network. Faster than 3G (especially most prepaid 3G, or so I've heard) but not as fast as the big 3's current 4G implementation. Honestly coverage varies from person to person. Some people I know will get Verizon because no other network gets a signal where they live, sometimes Verizon will not get a signal in an urban area. This applies to all carriers. All the G's they toss around just are buzz words for their particular generation of network technology. You also have to pay an activation fee (I believe it's 10 or 20 bucks) and a one time 10 or 12 dollar BS processing fee if you want device insurance. Device insurance at the time of writing this guarantees you two replacements for your Nexus 4 if it is broken for certain reasons. Read everything. It is not some noob proof license (If you do something dumb like text or surf the web in the John and drop you N4 in the toilet, don't expect a replacement). If the hardware suddenly craps out one day, they should replace it, though. I'm no lawyer but I do know a little bet as a consumer. Also you need to add enough cash to your account (30 to 40 bucks I guess for the $30 plan, depending on taxes and device insurance options) and add a payment method. T mobile should automatically charge your account at the end of the billing cycle, and that should be how it works. What a mouthful. Carrier EULAs terms and whatever are pretty complicated at first.

I had T-Mobile Everything 500 postpaid plan. I ordered the Nexus 4 unlocked from Google and the micro SIM linked above from T-Mobile. I put in the SIM and activated it online with the $30 plan and a new number very easily. I called T-Mobile support to transfer my old number from the postpaid plan to the prepaid plan. They had to cancel my postpaid account and initiate a "get old number back" request. After resolving an issue with the account information not matching, I got my number back on the new plan. They did NOT refund any money from the postpaid account. As far as I can tell, this is the best / only approved way to switch to this awesome deal.

I bought the nexus from Google play and the Sim card at the same time. As soon as I got the phone I put in the Sim, went to Walmart and bought the $30 card.

I DID have to call up a rep and after arguing briefly with them they spoke to a manager and got me on this plan.

So what I'm trying to say is bring some elbow grease.

How do get voice mail indicator to work since it is a non T-mobile phone? Can you download T-mobile Visual Voicemail and install it?

Unlike many other posters, I went to T-Mobile with my SIM card and had it activated at the store. The agent went online and had to search for the $30 plan.

Instead of porting my previous number, I decided to get a T-Mobile number. I was just shocked that I was in and out of the T-Mobile store in about 10 minutes! :)

I ordered the sim online, activated it at home. I use groove ip through google voice to get more than 100 minutes. Speeds in my area range from 10-21 mbps

Thanks for the advice, guys. I can't wait for it to get back in stock and hopefully get my hands on one!

Back
Top Bottom