• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is the Transform compared to Epic 4G?

except GPS location and calls, the gps location issue will get fixed with froyo.
I could of sworn I read people claiming it was fixed with froyo and they tested it and it was indeed fixed. The only problem is, I don't know where I read it or if it's just made up. People were claiming they were testing a leaked froyo and it worked.

Anyone claiming the aGPS bug is fixed on the update is simply put, full of it or totally ignorant how aGPS works on tEpic (or any phone) and what the problem is.

The problem has to do with cache and when they flash the phone with the update the problem will go away for a few days.

I bet from my testing it is NOT fixed.

Upvote 0
Yea when ever the Epic gets Froyo that will not be the same instance whrn the GPS problem is fixed that's some Sammy has to step in and fix. Glad I went with the Evo... still not even an official release date for epic owners to get froyo, yet leaked information about gingerbread is coming into light. Very disappointed in Samsung... oh well, long live EVO

Upvote 0
Quick update:

So it's been about a week and a half now with the Epic. So far, it's been pretty good.

Comparing the Epic to the Transform...it really is no comparison. It's such a huge difference that I can barely believe they are both made by the same manufacturer.

Comparing the Epic to the Evo is a bit harder. I do find more bugs in the Epic at the moment...but the Epic is still on 2.1 compared to 2.2 on the Evo. I'm sure a lot of those bugs will be taken care of with the eventual Froyo update. As stated by someone above...the Epic does seem to have a harder time connecting the our Airave than my Evo does. I'm not a fan of the hardware keyboard, but my girlfriend loves it...she never uses the touchscreen keyboard. I am going through serious Swype-envy though. I had a beta version installed on my Evo at one point and it really wasn't that great...nothing like the ridiculously fast and smooth typing experience Swype is on the Epic. As for the screens...while the Epic's screen does look really nice, I think I prefer the bigger screen of the Evo simply because of the extra screen real estate.

As for bugs, I've noticed a handful of minor ones...and two fairly big ones. The well-documented GPS bug is present on her Epic....it's pretty much useless for GPS compared to my Evo. Another one that I didn't see though...it seems that the camera flash is timed incorrectly. Does anyone else have this problem? When taking a picture with the flash...the flash does go off, but it does so well before the actual picture is taken...so in the actual picture, it still looks dark as if there was no flash at all. Also, I don't know if this is related or not, but can the flash for the camera be used as a flashlight? I can do it on my Evo, but I was surprised that it didn't work on the Epic. Any thoughts on the camera flash issue? Taking picture with a phone is something that my girlfriend is far more interested than I am with my phone...I would love to figure out this flash issue so I can stop having to pull my Evo out each time we're out with friends just to take a picture for her....especially because the Evo takes absolute horrible pictures with the flash on (they're completely washed out because the flash is too bright).

Upvote 0
dude i own a transform and my father went with the epic...both are awesome....it seems you were unlucky enough to get a bunk phone but it is prolly one of the best phones ive ever owned...ive had the moment, (sprint) the A900 which is like the razor a few years back and Samsung Captivate (AT&T)....the trasform was fast responsive...great internet speed and the navi was fast and within about 10 feet....the problem with the epic is thatwe dont yet actually have 4g anywhere except for manhattan and san fran and maybe a coupleother major cities so it completely useless to pay the extra 10 bucks a month for absolutely nothing!!! good luck with the epic my father loves it...hes blind in one eye so the large amoled is great for him!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones