• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how long will this phone be relevant

mrdrh99

Aug 11, 2010
I'm currently using RAZR m, awesome phone same cpu and processor. My question is this...my wife has upgrade in march 2013, but she just wants my RAZR m....I'm assuming by then i could get the hd maxx for $99 or less. Question is.....by march will this phone be worthy of 20 months of my life?! Or, would you suggest holding out for the newest quad core at the time? I've only ever had moto Droid and i tend to prefer them due to high quality build. What do you think?

Well the phone will continue to work as well as it worked the day you purchase it (more or less). So it really becomes a question of two fold:

Are you going to want some fancy ap that requires more memory or processing than the razr hd can handle (most likely it will be a game of some sort as this phone has plenty of resources for business aps)

Will you suffer technical envy as newer phones come out (only you can answer this one) ?
-
From a practical perspective this phone is pretty decent (from reviews); having good reception and loud speaker. It does lack a few nifty-ness of the 'newer' competition; i.e, lg and note ii ability to anotate on the screen or run aps in a small window (think pic). It also lacks the htc dlx 1080p and note's non-pentile screen. Do those phones have loud speakers and good reception - unknown at this point (esp since the lg is currently not on verizon and the htc will not be available for another few weeks). I guess the other area of weakness is the camera.
-
Anyways there will always be something different tomorrow; better is often in the eye of the beholder.
-
My personal take (I have the razr; not the razr hd); my phone is fine 'cept for the lousy battery (hence the following of new devices); this phone is better but since so many other nifty devices are to be available this year (2012) i figure I would wait another month or two and see how they pan out. If my phone (razr) had better battery life I would wait another year; and if I had the razr hd (max) I'm sure I could wait two years.

Upvote 0
Gotcha, I'm not a gamer.... I can't imagine what i would need a quad core phone for, at least not now. I really like the Droid line of phones, I've had the eris, og Droid, Droid x, bionic, now RAZR m And i like all of them, i almost picked up the spectrum instead if bionic but decided you stay with moto. I wonder what next year holds for moto, I'm sure they will be launching a quad core running klp by then!

Upvote 0
Well it is likely that by next year the chips will continue to move forward (i.e, the s4 pro should be dated in 12 months if not sooner); but overall design is hard to tell as going forward the phones will be designed under a new administration (google). While we know that google replaced the ceo we do not know how deep they will cut into the over-all design of the phones. I do expect power reduction to continue as well as further increase to processing so faster and better battery life. We are seeing further improvement in display technology (lower power and higher resolution). Moto has shown that even small phones can have loud speakers (a pet peave of mine are devices with soft speakers). The other underlying question (for me) is reception. So far moto is doing ok here (relative to the competition; yea you samsung can't you figure out how to build an antenna?); but I woudln't mind further improvements in this area.

Gotcha, I'm not a gamer.... I can't imagine what i would need a quad core phone for, at least not now. I really like the Droid line of phones, I've had the eris, og Droid, Droid x, bionic, now RAZR m And i like all of them, i almost picked up the spectrum instead if bionic but decided you stay with moto. I wonder what next year holds for moto, I'm sure they will be launching a quad core running klp by then!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones