• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How old is gingerbread - androids moving too fast?

chrcol

Jan 15, 2012
UK
Ok so I watched a cnet video and found out the galaxy S 3 is coming out soon which I know the S 2 is still fairly new as when I was looking for my ace I was checking into the phones etc.

They were talking about how chrome is now on the android but is ICS only, and then I did a bit of checking and it seems gingerbread is not even a year old?

Are google really making their OS versions obselete in under a year?

Ok so I watched a cnet video and found out the galaxy S 3 is coming out soon which I know the S 2 is still fairly new as when I was looking for my ace I was checking into the phones etc.

They were talking about how chrome is now on the android but is ICS only, and then I did a bit of checking and it seems gingerbread is not even a year old?

Are google really making their OS versions obselete in under a year?

Depants on the phone hardware... it seams that ace spec will not support ICS which is the only limitation that this phone has got... but gingerbread is not that bad and its the most used version of android now.. and if you still want ICS you can always go for custom Roms.

Upvote 0
Depants on the phone hardware... it seams that ace spec will not support ICS which is the only limitation that this phone has got... but gingerbread is not that bad and its the most used version of android now.. and if you still want ICS you can always go for custom Roms.

Which custom roms have ICS for ace?

CM doesnt.

The big problem with ICS is apps developed for it wont be backwards compatible, chrome been the first casualty.

the other big problem is it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Did you know ICS has lower hw requirements than gingerbread to run?

The ace is still sold in shops and mine is barely a month old, the first software update out since I got my phone is not available and the phone is still been sold.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones