• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to (almost) never run out of internal space again

Also available on the Area 51 Forums

What does it do?

Allows rooted phones to place any non-system (built-in) app to the sd card. There is
even a setting to automatically install to sd card. For those apps that cannot be moved
to the sd card (apps with widgets, for example), this method will move the apk, dex,
and lib files to the sd card (including the dalvik-cache). Tl;dr: Leaves
you with a ton of internal storage.

What do you mean by "a ton of internal storage"?

I was able to install all apps I had previously, in addition to all the apps I had installed
at one point, but had to uninstall to make room for other apps. And I still have 61MB
of storage available.

How do I perform this technological miracle?

I'm glad you asked. First you will partition your sd card, then you will install Link2Sd.
That's it...basically. You'll open Link2Sd, pick some options and then you're pretty
much done.

Step-by-Step Instructions (RTFM)

Step 1 Back up your SD card

Partitioning will format your SD card so if you want to keep anything, back it up.
I just copied the files I wanted to my desktop as I wanted a fresh start with the apps,
this is what I suggest doing, but you can use Titanium Backup to do a complete
backup, if you like.

Step 2 Partition your SD card

This step can be a bit tricky. The easiest way is to just use Clockwork Recovery Mod.
If you have a custom AreaRom, you should already have Clockwork. If you have the
new Gingerbread Rom, simply hold down the power button
and choose Recovery from the menu. Otherwise, from a powered off phone, go in to
Recovery mode by holding down "volume up" + "camera" + "power" buttons until
the phone comes on.

Using the volume buttons, go down to "advanced" and click camera button to select.
Now go down to "Partition SD Card". Now you can select the size of the partition.
This is the partition that will store the apps and caches and will be inaccessible to you
for user files. I have a 4GB sd card and I chose 1024M for this partition. This will be
plenty for me and still allow me space to store personal documents on the sd card. If
you have a 2GB, you may want to choose 1024M as well, just to make sure you don't
run out of room. DO NOT choose the bottom option, which is your entire card. Click
the camera button to make your selection.

At the "Swap Size" screen, choose the first option, 0M. Warning: There's
no going back from here.
Click the camera button to partition your sd card.

Now you should be back at the Advanced and Debugging Menu, click the back button
on your phone to go back to the main menu, then choose Reboot System Now.
Clockword Mod will come up again, choose Reboot System Now again.

Step 3 Install Link2SD

You can find it in the market here.
You should also read through the author's description on the market.

Step 4 Open Link2SD

Open up the Link2SD app on your phone. If your sd card is partitioned, a menu will
come up telling you to "Select the file system of your SD card's second partition"
If this menu does not come up, your sd card was not partitioned and you need to
go through Step 2 again. Now this part can be a bit annoying. It seems random which
option on the menu works. I've done this 3 times and it's been different every time.
Start with ext2 and see if that works, if not, exit Link2SD, go back in and try a
different option. Just go down the list until it works. It will then ask you to restart.
Press ok and reboot your phone.

Step 5 Customize Link2SD

With your phone rebooted, go back to Link2SD. Now when it opens you should get
the What's new? screen. Click ok. (or Donate, if you're feeling generous, it really is
an awesome app.)

Now the fun part, customizing. This is what I did and it is what will give you the most
free space with minimal effort on your part.

Link dalvik-cache files: Select the menu button on your phone and click More.
Select Link dalvik-cache files. This will move the dalvik-cache files to the sd card.

From this More menu, you can also clean up the dalvik-cache, which will delete files
you don't need, clean up the partition, and clear all app caches.

Customize ALL the things!

Click menu again and this time select settings and do the following:
1. Check "Auto link"
2. Click "Auto link settings"
- Make sure all three boxes are checked.
3. Uncheck "Auto link notification" (or leave it checked if you want
the notifications, it got annoying for me)
4. Click "Install location"
- Choose "External" - this will automatically install all new apps
that can be to the sd card. You will need to move apps that
have widgets back to the phone storage manually.

Leave everything else as is.

Customize apps
If you have any non-system apps (that is, apps that were not preinstalled),
you need to move them or link them to the sd card. Select the app from
the list in Link2SD. Move them if possible. If not possible to move, then you
will want to select "Create link". This will move the dalvik-caches, data, etc...
for this app to the sd card.

Miscellaneous Questions

What apps can I move?

Almost all of them. Widgets still will not work if you move the app to the card, but
you can still link the data files. I had no problem moving Alarm Clock Plus, even
though it says it won't work if you move it (take that!). I have my keyboard,
SwiftKey X on the sd card. I've had no issues moving things that require root.

If you have any other questions, you can ask them here or find me in AreaRom chat room. Have fun with all your new storage space!

~ Gangreless ~

Note: You should check Link2SD often to ensure your apps are actually being installed to the sd and not just being linked. It usually works fine, but sometimes it will just link them.

As part of this tutorial, I did a factory reset and went through these steps. I have installed the following :

Alarm Clock Plus
App 2 SD Free
Applanet Market
Amazon Appstore
Beautiful Widgets
Bejeweled 2
Bonsai Blast
CacheMate
Documents To Go
Dolphin Browser HD
Elixir
Elixir Widget
Endomondo Pro
Enhanced Email
Eve of the Genesis
ezPDF Reader
Farm Frenzy
Fieldrunners
FML
Game Dev Story
Greatest Little War Game
Go Launcher Ex
Go SMS Pro
Google Search
Google TV Remote
Guns n Glory
HD Widgets
Jelly Defense
Juice Defender/JD Ultimate
Link2SD
Muffin Knight
My Daily Free Amazon App
Pandora
Quisr Pro
Reddit News Free
Robo Defense
Root Explorer
Sketchbook Mobile Pro
Screenshot
Sentinel 3
Shazam
Soundhound
Superuser
SwiftKey X
Tetris
The Sims 33
Titanium Backup
TuneIn Radio Pro
Uno Free
Urbanspoon
WidgetLocker
Wifi Tether
Zedge
Zenonia
uTorrent Remote

... and counting!

and according to the stock Android app manager, I have 109MB used and 51MB free!

I posted this issue in aa51 but never got a response.

The first time I tried this I followed the instructions and when I got to the other side of the reboot I was staring at a fresh install of Arearom 2.3 but with an extra gig of internal storage. All of my settings, apps, contacts, all of it all gone.... as long as the SD card was plugged in. I booted the phone without the chip in and everything was back to normal except with no sd card and no extra ROM. I plugged the sd card into my computer and reformatted it. Moved all the stuff I backed up beforehand back onto it, put it back into the phone, fired it up and everything was like it was before I decided to trick my phone into thinking it had more ROM.

A couple of weeks go by, I get tired of always having no internal storage so I try again and the same thing happens. I figure it's the CWM ****ing it all up so I partition the chip myself on my laptop, plug it back into the phone and it doesn't see the extra part. I installed link2sd and tried to configure it when it throws up an error saying it can't make the mount script because it's already busy or not there.

I seriously want to break this phone. What am I supposed to do to get this to work?

The first time I tried this I followed the instructions and when I got to the other side of the reboot I was staring at a fresh install of Arearom 2.3 but with an extra gig of internal storage. All of my settings, apps, contacts, all of it all gone.... as long as the SD card was plugged in. I booted the phone without the chip in and everything was back to normal except with no sd card and no extra ROM. I plugged the sd card into my computer and reformatted it. Moved all the stuff I backed up beforehand back onto it, put it back into the phone, fired it up and everything was like it was before I decided to trick my phone into thinking it had more ROM.

A couple of weeks go by, I get tired of always having no internal storage so I try again and the same thing happens. I figure it's the CWM ****ing it all up so I partition the chip myself on my laptop, plug it back into the phone and it doesn't see the extra part. I installed link2sd and tried to configure it when it throws up an error saying it can't make the mount script because it's already busy or not there.

I seriously want to break this phone. What am I supposed to do to get this to work?

I honestly am stumped. My cwm parition went great.

When you repartition the SD, you lose everything on it. (When you repartition any drive, if you don't make sure that the repartitioning takes existing data into account, you lose everything.) What you should have done is back up all your apps (you can use Astro - then copy the apk files you create to your computer), repartition, install Gingerbread, copy the apk files back to the phone and install them. (They'll install to the SD card.) I've used as much as 2GB of an SD card with no problem - Cyanogen seems to choke on anything over 1GB. (And even though I'm a software junkie, I haven't come close to filling up that 2GB of "internal" space.)

Back
Top Bottom