• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to completely unsync Gmail account?

mogie

Hello! Hope this hasn't been asked before, couldn't find any info for the DINC2 using the search.

Is there a way to unsync my gmail account from my phone? I would prefer log in with my password from the web browser when I want to check it.

I supposedly unsynced the Gmail account by going to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Gmail>Remove Account. So it was no longer listed there, but was still sending me Gmail notifications (but why would it do that if it was unsynced?? argh!), so I disabled notifications from the Gmail settings ... so now the notifications stopped, but it still allows me to view all my emails in the Mail app, without having to enter a password. I can't figure out how to "force quit" the application and stop it from working all together, as it is not listed under Settings>Applications>Manage Applications.

Any suggestions on how to stop my phone from automatically downloading my emails? Would really prefer to be required to LOG IN to check it, not get it all automatically sent to my phone. I got the notifications to stop, but I don't want it checking for emails at all. Is there a way to turn off the Gmail app all together? I did disable background data, but it still checking my emails.

Thank you!

What about renaming your gmail apk to "kmail" or something that will make it unrecognized. Kind of like deleting it, but if stuff goes too wacky or it doesn't work, you could rename it back to "gmail.apk" to restore yourself back to original.

Hmm, interesting idea, you mean a fake email address? I wonder if it will even allow that. I'll give it a shot.

Any other ideas out there? :D

Not a fake email address. Rename your gmail application so your phone doesn't know it even has the program, therefore it can't sync or even try to.
This is assuming you're rooted.

EDIT:
Check in settings>accounts and sync>google (not gmail) and there is a box you could un-check for "sync gmail". Give that a try. If that doesn't work, try re adding your gmail account and uncheck "sync mail" in it and in the "google" menu.
Way more straight forward than what I was suggesting earlier.

Ok, sorry I misunderstood. I haven't rooted it. In fact this is my first smart phone so I am just learning all the lingo :D Did not realize you can rename your apps if you root.

Soo I unsynced gmail from the google acct settings. But it was still letting me read my email from the gmail app without entering password. So I re-synced the gmail acct, and unchecked "sync mail" as you suggested. I now have "sync mail" unchecked in both google acct and gmail acct. I'm going to restart the phone and see if it will still check my email without entering PW ...

Thanks for your help.

Ok, it is still checking my emails, even though I have unchecked "sync gmail" in both the google and gmail acct settings. DOH! Maybe this isn't possible without rooting?

Try rebooting your phone after making sure you have all that unchecked. Maybe that is all it needs.
Don't rush into rooting if you aren't already inclined.
Maybe a call to Verizon wouldn't hurt after rebooting if that doesn't work.

I did the phone reboot before posting that ^ message. It doesn't seem to have helped though. I'm not ready to venture into the world of rooting...Had this phone for less than 2 weeks ;) I was hoping there would be a way to unsync my gmail without going there, but I guess not. Unless anyone out there can suggest any other settings I haven't tried yet! I am all ears!!!

Hello! Hope this hasn't been asked before, couldn't find any info for the DINC2 using the search.

Is there a way to unsync my gmail account from my phone? I would prefer log in with my password from the web browser when I want to check it.

I supposedly unsynced the Gmail account by going to Settings>Accounts & Sync>Gmail>Remove Account. So it was no longer listed there, but was still sending me Gmail notifications (but why would it do that if it was unsynced?? argh!), so I disabled notifications from the Gmail settings ... so now the notifications stopped, but it still allows me to view all my emails in the Mail app, without having to enter a password. I can't figure out how to "force quit" the application and stop it from working all together, as it is not listed under Settings>Applications>Manage Applications.

Any suggestions on how to stop my phone from automatically downloading my emails? Would really prefer to be required to LOG IN to check it, not get it all automatically sent to my phone. I got the notifications to stop, but I don't want it checking for emails at all. Is there a way to turn off the Gmail app all together? I did disable background data, but it still checking my emails.

Thank you!
Why not make an alternate gmail account, log in using that, that way you can access all the features (market, sync contacts). Then log in browser to check normal account.

Ahh yes, I have considered that. I guess I'm just hoping there's a super secret hidden setting somewhere to unsync the darn thing ... it seems a logical setting to me, but maybe I'm the only one out there who DOESN'T want my phone checking my emails. Hah! I will probably end up creating another gmail account if I can't figure out another way around this. Appreciate the input!

I believe if you have gmail unchecked in Accounts and Sync, It will always check emails when you open the gmail app. It might stop them from automatically pushing them though. I'm not sure on that. I think the alternate account is the best bet. At least that way all your contacts are still saved, in case you lose phone or something, The only downside to that is if you have paid apps linked to your regular account. There is a few ways to work around that also (apk files).

Ok, I'm rather annoyed now. It started giving me notifications again even though I have disabled notifications in Gmail settings (I just double checked), AND I have "sync gmail" unchecked for google account, AND I have "sync gmail" unchecked for gmail account. Why is it still notifying me???? ARGH.

I guess I need to create a dummy account cause this is driving me nuts! JAS, can you elaborate on how I can access my paid apps from another account? Thanks.

Ok, I'm rather annoyed now. It started giving me notifications again even though I have disabled notifications in Gmail settings (I just double checked), AND I have "sync gmail" unchecked for google account, AND I have "sync gmail" unchecked for gmail account. Why is it still notifying me???? ARGH.

I guess I need to create a dummy account cause this is driving me nuts! JAS, can you elaborate on how I can access my paid apps from another account? Thanks.

Okay, First go to your settings, click Applications, and check the box that says Unknown sources (this allows you to install any app using the APK file). You will need to make a backup of the apps to your SD card. I use Asto file manager, but there are alternatives in market. This doesn't work for all apps, some may be copy protected. Open Astro, go to menu, click tools. Click Aplication Manager/ Backup. Check the apps you want to backup, and then click backup. A file will be created on your SD card containing the APK files. Now you can change your emails to your liking. When done, reinstall Astro if needed (or backup tool of your choice). open Astro and find the file on your SD card, Should be named backups. Click on the APK file. A popup will appear, click Open App Manager. Then click install. Done.

Any apps you can't backup can be found on the internet if you search for the APK file and download it. This is normally frowned upon by devs, but if you already paid for it, I don't see a problem.

***Once you have backed up your apps and deleted the gmail account. Check your app drawer. I'm not sure If they will be deleted. If they are just finish process above to install them.***

**** There are other alternatives to Astro as well, I haven't tried them. Some are "App Backup & Restore", and "App Backup & Reinstall".***** These may make it easier. Just check the descriptions in market before you try them. I use Astro mainly for the file manager, but it doubles as backup tool and installer.

I hope this will help. If not at least you'll learn how to install apps you download from outside the market.

Back
Top Bottom