• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get full camera resolution?

I've worked it out!!

Two utterly stupid designs were causing the problem.

Firstly, the sensor is 4:3 (easier to manufacture, or stuck in the old ways?). Yet the default is fullscreen. Set the camera to 4:3 to take the most pixels. If you want a widescreen shot, you can always trim it later. Using 16:9 or fullscreen is simply chopping off the top and bottom of the sensor, so utterly pointless. As daft as "digital zoom".

Secondly, and my old phone never did this, maybe a different camera app, I can't remember, if you change the ratio, it forgets you want high resolution and sets it back to medium. So if you change ratio, change the resolution again.

I'm now taking 50MP 4:3 photos (not that any camera other than professional ones give you what it says anyway, you have to zoom to 50% (quarter size) to make them clear).

What utter fool makes things which don't give you their full capabilities by default?

Oh my god, now I find even more stupidity. This Moto G31 has three sensors, "wide", "super wide", and "macro". There's no point in using anything but "wide", because:

1) Wide is 50MP. Superwide is 12MP. If you need a really wide shot, simply use the 50MP sensor and take a panorama.

2) Wide is 50MP. Macro is 2MP (!). If you simply move the camera back a couple of inches and take a normal shot, then crop the photo, you still get 12.5MP (quarter of the 50MP image).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom