• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to get rid of political ads via text?

Milo Williamson

Extreme Android User
It has been a huge gap of time to take notice, about every once a spell I do get them almost on the dot around this time, when I get spammed over them a few times et all. I kind of wonder why did I sign up for them?

why did you? LOL

as political as i am, i never have used my actual phone number. still somehow a few will sneak by. if i text stop, i don't get the same notification again.

It has been a huge gap of time to take notice, about every once a spell I do get them almost on the dot around this time, when I get spammed over them a few times et all. I kind of wonder why did I sign up for them?

Reply back "STOP" and block the number.

I have been known to be more aggressive towards these people as well. As in completely trashing their "candidate" as throughly as possible if you know what I mean. Specifically 1 individual, or shall I say "Individual One".

Be careful. STOP replies only work for short code texts (the ones with a five digit number). If you respond to a scammer spamming texts at you (which are attempts to get a response to know if the number is live) you will NEVER see the end of 'em. They'll get much, much worse. Whether the 'texts' are 'political' or not is immaterial. I've gotten random ones posing as Vaccine appointments, to 'hi there cutie!' to 'Happy Father's Day!'

Just delete them. Add them to a contact called SPAM and silence the notifications to the SPAM contact. They'll eventually cease. If you respond and they're not automated short-code messages, you'll likely have to change phone numbers to get away from them.

In my case I got one coming from an 'email address' (but in an SMS thread--figure that one out!) and it just said 'Hey there!' and then 'Hello?' I thought innocently enough it was just a wrong number (like someone they knew had my number long ago before I got it) and said 'who are u?' and then it became 10 per hour all of them MMSs (from various other email addresses) and the pictures were not something I want to revisit. They were. Disturbing. Got so bad I yanked the SIM, snapped it in two and got another number. Occasionally I get a random text like this (or one from a fake phone number that looks local) and delete the message. Not falling for that again. If it ain't in my contacts I don't answer, be it a phone call, text message or email.

Thanks, but after installed youmail preminum the other day, no political at all, so whenever I did download them from the mainframe oh about every spell. They pop up like flies on my messenger plus.. Surprise sometimes on textra..

I certainly don't know what the incentive is, but there's a ton of scammers using bots, scripts to auto-text crap to any random phone number they can in order to find which are in use, and then the real crap starts to pour in.

For myself, that meant tons of nude images and bloody animal picture sent via MMS until I cut the SIM card. I don't know if they just got sick pleasure out of it or what because it's not like they wanted my bank account or other personal info, just fishing for a response to send disturbing images. A fetish?

the STOP reply only works for short code texts (the type with a five digit number, such as 56096). Do NOT reply AT ALL to one posing as a phone number, even if it appears within your area code, or especially showing as an email address. If you do that, you just confirmed your number is live, and you will NEVER see the end of them. You'll get dozens per hour and it will drive you batty.

I certainly don't know what the incentive is, but there's a ton of scammers using bots, scripts to auto-text crap to any random phone number they can in order to find which are in use, and then the real crap starts to pour in.

For myself, that meant tons of nude images and bloody animal picture sent via MMS until I cut the SIM card. I don't know if they just got sick pleasure out of it or what because it's not like they wanted my bank account or other personal info, just fishing for a response to send disturbing images. A fetish?

It is part of their religion, which is also political.
This is done to cause unrest and aggrevation to any 'non-believers'.
They consider it to be their holy duty.

I know this from first hand experience.

I was under the impression that Indians (the country most likely of origin for most tech scammers) were Hindu? I never heard of any sort of desire to create unrest from what little scripture I've read of it? Don't they believe in Ahimsa, or non-violence?

I was under the impression that Indians (the country most likely of origin for most tech scammers) were Hindu? I never heard of any sort of desire to create unrest from what little scripture I've read of it? Don't they believe in Ahimsa, or non-violence?
Had a recent one in Spanish, I am bilangual so it was easy for me to understand what she was saying really quick :)

Well, if you're dumb like I was (when responding to the text) you probably dialed the number up top. For me it got me to a Indian 'tech support' scammer call center. Should have pulled a Kitboga on them.

They got a way of talking that makes it obvious. For example they pronounce 'virus' as 'wirus' and 'Windows' as Vindows' Also they love using odd phrasing such as 'each and everything' and 'why are you using your mind?'

I've never had any call center with any Hispanic speakers. All of them Indians.

Back
Top Bottom